How do you like to remove swarf?

  • Max Cato
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2012
      Hi,

      I'm curious, how do you like to remove swarf while milling with your Taig? I've just recently started using mine, and since I'm using homemade machinable wax, I'd like to recapture the material since it can be melted and used again. I've been thinking that a shop vac with a HEPA filter might be the way to go, but I'm curious, what does the community at large recommend (not only for this, but in general)?

      Thanks!

      -Max

    • alighazizadeh
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
        Hi,

        I use a small vacuum cleaner, the tube is held by hand. I have also used a
        small air brush compressor to blow chips off at times with the nozzle fixed
        to the head stock but this way the swarf goes all over the place .

        Regards,

        A.G

        > I'm curious, how do you like to remove swarf while milling with your Taig?
        > I've just recently started using mine, and since I'm using homemade
        > machinable wax, I'd like to recapture the material since it can be melted
        > and used again. I've been thinking that a shop vac with a HEPA filter
        > might be the way to go, but I'm curious, what does the community at large
        > recommend (not only for this, but in general)?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Max

      • Stan Stocker
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
          Hi Max,

          If you are machining ONLY wax then you could just vacuum the area before
          you begin work to get rid of dust and dirt and use cheap bristle brushes
          cut to around an inch long as chip brushes.

          Brush up a pile, pick up with a cheap kitchen spatula and dump in your
          can for later remelt.

          Your idea of using a dedicated small vac is fine too, just more money
          and maybe more loss to material sticking in the hose and vacuum
          container. I know I'd forget one day and pick up a sloppy mess of
          cutting oil and swarf with the wrong vac or hose and screw up the whole
          deal...

          If you also cut metals and use oils you might use a small kitchen baking
          pan drilled to pass the hold downs you need for vise or other fixtures
          on top of the table just when cutting wax. If you can rig small plastic
          drop curtains around the cutter area most of the wax cuttings will end
          up in the pan or piled up on the vise/work for clearing with a chip
          brush. Take off the pan, dump in the can for remelt. Easier than
          trying to clean up an oil/coolant/fine metal dust contaminated area
          enough to recover wax.

          I don't cut wax myself, so just use a vac with a crevice tool on the
          hose and suck up the mess. A smaller vac in the clock room with the
          small tools, and a big old vac with 12 gallon tank in the larger machine
          tool room at the other end of the building.

          Take care,
          Stan

          On 12/01/2012 01:00 AM, Max Cato wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm curious, how do you like to remove swarf while milling with your Taig? I've just recently started using mine, and since I'm using homemade machinable wax, I'd like to recapture the material since it can be melted and used again. I've been thinking that a shop vac with a HEPA filter might be the way to go, but I'm curious, what does the community at large recommend (not only for this, but in general)?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > -Max

        • Gaston Gagnon
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
            I have not tried this with wax but I know it is very effective for dust
            http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/fireball-cnc/dust-boot/dustfiltercyclone/
            I rigged this one up myself but you can purchase the equivalent commercially.

            As for the vacuum cleaner attachment, you may be able to adapt the
            principle of this one for your machine. The interest of it is the cutting
            bit is located at the centre of the vacuum hose. That is as effective as
            can be. The boot is attached to the frame, not the Z axis so it always
            travels at the same height from the table. No bristles or skirt are necessary.
            http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/fireball-cnc/dust-boot/dust-boot-v3/dscn1743.html

            Gaston

            --
            /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//

          • Paul J. Ste. Marie
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
              On 12/1/2012 1:45 AM, alighazizadeh wrote:
              > I use a small vacuum cleaner, the tube is held by hand. I have also used a
              > small air brush compressor to blow chips off at times with the nozzle fixed

              Yes, ShopVac has a cute little 1 gal unit I've used. Tends to clog if
              you suck up piles of stringy chips, but fine for small aluminum and even
              steel chips. Wax should be a piece of cake.

              I also use small (1") brushes I bought at some absurdly low price from
              LMS a while back. I thought I was getting an OK deal on three brushes,
              but when they arrived I found that I had bought three dozen brushes. I
              think they worked out to be under 25 cents each.

              For cleaning off the bench I prefer to use a counter sweeper, ala
              http://amzn.com/B004FTPTO4