Re: [taigtools] Shaky lathe motor

  • WAM
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 6, 2012
      Check the pulleys for gunk too... had that happen before.

    • thousek@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 6, 2012
        Thanks for all the suggestions!

        I checked the pulleys for gunk but they were very clean. Everything seemed to turn well. I tried a new belt. Still get that terrible vibration. I have no idea what changed over the last few days. Maybe one time when I was moving it around to sweep up chips or something I wiggled the motor mount enough to cause this change. I dunno.

        Regardless, the route I went was to use the bungie cord idea. I had a length of bungie cord from some past project, so I cut a length of that, tied loops in the end and screwed a drywall screw into the edge of the base of the lathe. I posted a picture of my ultra-low-tech solution here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/photos/album/1175785279/pic/882945635/view .

        I think I'm going to have to look at a better solution someday. I'm sure you've all got much more elaborate motor mounting mechanisms than I do here. I'll have to look around in the archives for ideas.

        Thanks for your help!
        Kim

      • Joe Brown
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
          Will the motor shake without the belt attached ? If it still shakes without the belt, then remove the pulley or reverse the pulley if that does not help.
          check the pulley alignement and make sure that they are running true. If still shaky remove the belt and  then turn the head pulley without a load and feel if their is a bearing problem .
                                               Joe

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
            You may want to check you belt alignment and just tighten down the mounting screws on the motor mounts.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
              I kinda hate to suggest bungee cords for things like this, because the
              vibration is still probably going to eventually kill the bearings in your
              motor, but if I can alleviate the problem by putting my hand on it, I can
              usually remove the symptoms by adding a bungee or two. It is more a "fix
              this so I can finish the project I am working on" type of thing than
              something you want to run for years.

              Bungees seem to work well as a longer term fix for a motor that tensions a
              belt via a hinged plate and gravity, but is not as heavy as the original
              motor... A bucket of scrap metal hanging from the plate is more elegant
              though.

            • Luc
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                Ive been using the same set up for quite a while and no problem
                with bearing or vibration. The motor is mounted under the lathe and
                gravity is the ONLY tension on it. If for some reason the chuck want to
                stop turning the motor will climb on the belt to prevent any further damage
                here is the url for some pictures
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/photos/album/849317487/pic/1380942604/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

                from the begining I think it's pretty stupid to have the motor mounted on the board
                I guest Taigs agree with me they sell the motor only

                Luc G

                "Being a Master is about having Courage and confidence.
                Courage to dream something and then....MAKE IT HAPPEN..."

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2012
                  Thank you all for your comments and helpful suggestions on my 'shaky motor' problem. In addition to the replies on the list, there have been several suggestions in the comments on my picture of the bungee cord tensioner. All are appreciated.

                  I could tell that the additional tension wasn't really fixing the problem, it was just masking it. And since I'd run for so long before without any additional tensioning, other than gravity, I knew I had to figure out what it was.

                  After trying a new belt and moving the pulley around to get it square with the one on the head spindle, I was still getting lots of motor shake. But when I took the belt off completely, it the motor ran smooth with NO vibration whatsoever.

                  So my next step was to disassemble the motor mount, clean it up, and put it back together. And guess what? Now it runs true and smooth, no vibrations what-so-ever, with or without additional tensioning! :) So I'm pretty happy.

                  I think that what probably happened is that in moving my lathe around (which I do to clear up bench space if its not being used, or when I want to clean up chips really well between projects), I must have bumped the motor enough to get it out of parallel with the spindle.

                  Regardless, its running true again with no shaking. But having experimented with additional tensioning of the motor, I find that it does give a lot more power to the milling operations. When I ran with just gravity tension, the spindle would slow down significantly when milling. But when I put my bungee back on, it stayed turning at a higher speed for the whole run. So I think long term I'm going to look at a better tensioning system as many of you have been recommending.

                  Thanks again for all the help!
                  Kim

                • juangelt
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 14, 2012
                    i just assembled my 4th cnc taig lathe and experienced severe motor bouncing as you described.
                    the problem was simply that the motor sheave was .02 in. out of alignment with the spindle sheave.
                    when that was corrected and the pulley was nicely squared, the thing ran as smoothly as anyone could hope for.