Activity???

  • lazaffair
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
      Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
        Because no one posted any I guess...

        On Oct 13, 2012 8:04 PM, "lazaffair" <jgriffin@...> wrote:

        > Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

      • juangelt
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
          how about a topic, then?
          i'm wondering about DC motors that can be speed controlled - anybody got one?
          I'm also interested in 2 axis controllers to run the lathes i've modified - any recommendations?

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@...> wrote:

          > Because no one posted any I guess...
          >
          > Regards,
          > Tony
          > On Oct 13, 2012 8:04 PM, "lazaffair" <jgriffin@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • J. Todd Shultz
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
            I was wondering the same thing... I thought perhaps they had quit sending emails???  Everybody must be busy making metal shavings.

            ________________________________
            > Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

          • ED MAISEY
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
              Because I'm busy selling my large machines and also building and designing a tool holder for my Taig Top slide that I modified with a Hardinge designed clamping arrangement that improves the Heath Robinson design of Taig's, but it raises the top slide height 1/4" hence the new tool holder,

              That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it,

              ........Edmund.........

              ________________________________
              Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

            • alighazizadeh
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                Hi,

                After having wrestled with the stock Taig motor for both my lathe and the mill for about 6 months , I eventually fitted the Sherline motor and the controller to both. It is as if they were made for each other, a bit pricy but well worth it I think.

                Regards,

                A.G

                i'm wondering about DC motors that can be speed controlled - anybody got one?
                I'm also interested in 2 axis controllers to run the lathes i've modified - any recommendations?

                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@...> wrote:

                > Because no one posted any I guess...
                >
                > Regards,
                > Tony
                > On Oct 13, 2012 8:04 PM, "lazaffair" <jgriffin@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Stan Stocker
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                  On 10/13/2012 03:04 PM, lazaffair wrote:
                  > Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

                  Greetings,

                  It happens now and then, hang around, some new topic will get everyone
                  posting fairly soon.

                  Stan
                • alighazizadeh
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                    Hi,

                    Is there any reason why the Taig riser blocks could not be permanently left in place? I have already machined a block with two T slots to sit a top of the cross slide so the normal tool posts and the compound slide and so on could be mounted at the correct height. Are there any improvements or modifications that could be made to the riser blocks to increase the rigidity if that is at all required?

                    Many thanks and regards,

                    A.G

                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                      I have a Taig lathe mounted to a 1" thick block of aluminum.
                      Yes - it is more rigid, but that isn't always a good thing.
                      The Taig is designed to float.  The floating doesn't affect the accuracy, but it also doesn't transmit the vibration to the table or from the table back to the tooling.

                      I chose to make it rigid, so I could mount an X/Y table behind it, and do CNC lathe work.  If it isn't mounted on both ends, the tool would wander away from the part.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                        did you use the taig spindle on your lathe, then?

                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "alighazizadeh" <alighazizadeh@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > After having wrestled with the stock Taig motor for both my lathe and the mill for about 6 months , I eventually fitted the Sherline motor and the controller to both. It is as if they were made for each other, a bit pricy but well worth it I think.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > A.G

                      • george
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                          It's alot of fun to be on the Taig chipping away. But, there are other fun activities like sex, spending time with your family, outdoor sports, eating, sleeping and pooping.

                           It isn't as large of a hobby as text messaging or tweeting. That's why you would see a lack of activity.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                            Hi,

                            In both cases I just machined a small pulley out of Aluminium and used a threading tool to make the groove for the Taig belt I then drilled and reamed the pulley to mount the Sherline shaft . Using the Taig pulley set on the head stock allows for a little more speed flexibilty. I have used the Sherline mounting bracket and a 1/2" spacer block of aluminium and the motor and the bracket fit on the T slot on the back of the head stock ( side of the head stock in mill case ). I use the short belt that comes with the mill for both the mill and the lathe.

                            Regards,

                            A.G

                            did you use the taig spindle on your lathe, then?

                            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "alighazizadeh" <alighazizadeh@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > After having wrestled with the stock Taig motor for both my lathe and the mill for about 6 months , I eventually fitted the Sherline motor and the controller to both. It is as if they were made for each other, a bit pricy but well worth it I think.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > A.G

                          • alighazizadeh
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                              Hi will,

                              I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear, what I meant was the Taig riser block set for the head stock to increase the swing to about 6". My lathe is also mounted on a block of Aluminium only at the head stock end. I find that the 4 jaw independent does have the capacity to swing 3" stock but the extending jaws fowl the bed at this extension.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                                My apologies for the spelling mistake I meant to write foul not fowl, it is 1.30 am here in the UK and maybe I should go and get some sleep rather than posting.

                                A.G

                                I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear, what I meant was the Taig riser block set for the head stock to increase the swing to about 6". My lathe is also mounted on a block of Aluminium only at the head stock end. I find that the 4 jaw independent does have the capacity to swing 3" stock but the extending jaws fowl the bed at this extension.

                                Regards,

                                A.G

                                Is there any reason why the Taig riser blocks could not be permanently left in place? I have already machined a block with two T slots to sit a top of the cross slide so the normal tool posts and the compound slide and so on could be mounted at the correct height. Are there any improvements or modifications that could be made to the riser blocks to increase the rigidity if that is at all required?

                                Many thanks and regards,

                                A.G

                                I was wondering the same thing... I thought perhaps they had quit sending emails??? Everybody must be busy making metal shavings.

                                ________________________________
                                > Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

                              • Jerre
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                                  Well I’m glad I stirred some activity. I’ve been monitoring this list for years and can’t remember a period as long as this without any posts.

                                • Luc
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                                    http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/1-4-scale-v8-first-project-13548/%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0
                                    I'm also a member of this group you want to see awsome work
                                    check these pictures.

                                    Luc G

                                    "Being a Master is about having Courage and confidence.
                                    Courage to dream something and then....MAKE IT HAPPEN..."

                                    ________________________________
                                    I was wondering the same thing... I thought perhaps they had quit sending emails???  Everybody must be busy making metal shavings.

                                    ________________________________
                                    On Oct 13, 2012 8:04 PM, "lazaffair" <mailto:jgriffin%40centurytel.net> wrote:

                                    > Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

                                  • Jake Horky
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                                      Agreed

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                                        Hi,

                                        This level of skill is insane, I want a DNA analysis to make sure that he is human.
                                        Thanks for posting a great link.

                                        Regards,

                                        A.G

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 13, 2012
                                          that's about the most ambitious 'first project' i could imagine!
                                          it looks like he's succeeding wonderfully, too!
                                          *speechless*

                                          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Luc <salutluc2004@...> wrote:

                                          > http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/1-4-scale-v8-first-project-13548/%c3%82%c2%a0%c3%82%c2%a0%c3%82%c2%a0%c3%82%c2%a0
                                          > I'm also a member of this group you want to see awsome work
                                          > check these pictures.
                                          >
                                          > Luc G
                                          >

                                          > "Being a Master is about having Courage and confidence.
                                          > Courage to dream something and then....MAKE IT HAPPEN..."
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • auto249243
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 14, 2012
                                            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "juangelt" <juangelt@...> wrote:

                                            > how about a topic, then?
                                            > i'm wondering about DC motors that can be speed controlled - anybody got one?

                                            Yes, any of them can. 1. use transformer(s) to isolate and change voltage from power line to motor voltage. (be sure the VA rating is high enough) 2.use triac type dimmer circuit to vary speed. (see TECCOR application notes on internet for how it works or to roll your own) 3. feed output through bridge rectifier(AC to DC) to motor.
                                            There is no feed back control but the torque(peak voltage) is constant until you get below 50% speed.

                                            Current projects: adding lead screw to TAIG (older TAIG, my own design), also compound slide project.
                                          • juangelt
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 14, 2012
                                              i never thought of using a triac for dc control, but that sure is a simple idea to use it on the AC ahead of the bridge rather than chop regulated dc. i like it. thanks!

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 14, 2012
                                                There is no reason that you can't leave the blocks in place.
                                                Of course, the more the "lever-arm" is extended, the more the deflection.
                                                I stacked up a couple of riser blocks, and turned a model ship's wheel that was about 9 inches -- but I had to take my time...

                                                ________________________________
                                                I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear, what I meant was the Taig riser block set for the head stock to increase the swing to about 6". My lathe is also mounted on a block of Aluminium only at the head stock end. I find that the 4 jaw independent does have the capacity to swing 3" stock but the extending jaws fowl the bed at this extension.

                                                Regards,

                                                A.G

                                                Is there any reason why the Taig riser blocks could not be permanently left in place? I have already machined a block with two T slots to sit a top of the cross slide so the normal tool posts and the compound slide and so on could be mounted at the correct height. Are there any improvements or modifications that could be made to the riser blocks to increase the rigidity if that is at all required?

                                                Many thanks and regards,

                                                A.G

                                                I was wondering the same thing... I thought perhaps they had quit sending emails??? Everybody must be busy making metal shavings.

                                                ________________________________
                                                > Why are there no messages on the group for 12 days??

                                              • Richard Hutchinson
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 14, 2012
                                                  I've had my blocks installed for almost 15 years now, and I was wondering why they put the head and tail-stocks off center from the bed?

                                                  >Hi,

                                                  >Is there any reason why the Taig riser blocks could not be permanently left in place? I have already machined a block with two T slots to sit a top of the cross slide so the normal >tool posts and the compound slide and so on could be mounted at the correct height. Are there any improvements or modifications that could be made to the riser blocks to >increase the rigidity if that is at all required?

                                                  >Many thanks and regards,

                                                  A.G

                                                • ED MAISEY
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 14, 2012
                                                    I haven't checked my spacers on the lathe, perhaps its to compensate for the increase in height and allow extra movement of the cross slide and toolbit, I haven't explained that very well but think about it,

                                                    ........Edmund.........

                                                    ________________________________
                                                    I've had my blocks installed for almost 15 years now, and I was wondering why they put the head and tail-stocks off center from the bed?

                                                    >Hi,

                                                    >Is there any reason why the Taig riser blocks could not be permanently left in place? I have already machined a block with two T slots to sit a top of the cross slide so the normal >tool posts and the compound slide and so on could be mounted at the correct height. Are there any improvements or modifications that could be made to the riser blocks to >increase the rigidity if that is at all required?

                                                    >Many thanks and regards,

                                                    A.G

                                                  • David Underwood
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 14, 2012
                                                      Think of it this way: the point of using risers is to get the tip of the
                                                      cutting tool further from the axis of rotation. Getting the headstock,
                                                      tailstock and toolpost higher is part of the solution, but mostly to
                                                      allow a larger workpiece clearance above the bed. The other part of the
                                                      solution is to move the headstock and tailstock further toward the rear
                                                      of the lathe bed and the toolpost further to the front of the cross slide.

                                                      Does that make sense?

                                                      Dave Underwood

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 14, 2012
                                                        Sounds good to me, much clearer to understand,

                                                        ........Edmund.........

                                                        ________________________________

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 15, 2012
                                                          Hi Richard,

                                                          The Taig cross slide does not have a lot of travel, I think the offset is to allow the tool tip have the extra clearance to cut the larger diameter stock by putting it further away from the center of rotation. What this does to the stability of the lathe bed due to the increase in bending moments is probably the topic of another discussion and why I asked the question in the first place.

                                                          Regards,

                                                          A.G

                                                          I've had my blocks installed for almost 15 years now, and I was wondering why they put the head and tail-stocks off center from the bed?

                                                          >Hi,

                                                          >Is there any reason why the Taig riser blocks could not be permanently left in place? I have already machined a block with two T slots to sit a top of the cross slide so the normal >tool posts and the compound slide and so on could be mounted at the correct height. Are there any improvements or modifications that could be made to the riser blocks to >increase the rigidity if that is at all required?

                                                          >Many thanks and regards,

                                                          A.G