Drilling adaptor for the Taig

  • Don
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
      Has anyone made a drill press adapter for the Taig mill. I was thinking of a way to tie the spindle to a manual drill press type arrangement so I could manually use a tap head. A short 1 1/2" stroke would be all that I would need. Before I go off inventing the wheel again, I though I would check to see if anyone else had tried this, and if it worked or not.

      Don
    • alighazizadeh
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
        Hi Don,

        Search for engineman, he has done some amazing mods to Taig mill and Lathe and he has built a drilling head.

        Regards,

        A.G

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
          Hi Don,

          Here is the link to his site: http://www.jrbentley.com/

          A.G

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
            Thanks for the leads. I took a quick look at his site(s) tonight but didn't find the drilling head. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

            That guy does some incredible work doesn't he. Kind of makes me ashamed to call my self a machinist.

            Don

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "alighazizadeh" <alighazizadeh@...> wrote:

            > Hi Don,
            >
            > Here is the link to his site: http://www.jrbentley.com/
            >
            > A.G

          • Paul J. Ste. Marie
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
              On 9/8/2012 8:06 PM, Don wrote:
              > Thanks for the leads. I took a quick look at his site(s) tonight but didn't find the drilling head. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

              It's buried in the workshop section.
              <http://johnbentley.info/mill/quill.html> is the direct link.

              Beautiful work, but unfortunately not a lot of detail on how the
              mechanics work. I'm guessing the knurled part at the top has a thrust
              bearing, and the piece that screws onto the spindle has a square hole
              and those screws are for adjusting gibs.
            • ED MAISEY
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                Paul/Don,

                    Ooohh I gotta have one of those, its in his accessories section, all his projects are perfect even if he does have ouches, the chuck end looks like it has a threaded adapter to fit on the ER16 spindle and that holds the chuck, and at the top end the extra added sleeve is fixed to the main spindle and has a square aperture in the bore,the top shaft is a sliding fit in the square aperture and the very top has a thrust bearing, the rest is ad lib, this is just the way I see it, its very nicely done, and looks very proportionate,

                ........Edmund.........

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 9, 2012
                  Paul, thanks for the link. Very interesting.

                  Just a guess, but I think he used a single ball for his thrust bearing. The knurled part at the top is just a grip to screw that shaft into the square shank chuck arbor. That piece could be threaded to fit either type spindle.

                  What I'm thinking of doing is to replace the dove tail head stock mount with an 8" long ground way. Make a saddle for it based on the lathe saddle and mount the spindle on it. I can do this with only about 5/8" protrusion from the Z saddle compaired to stock. Space the Y screw bearing out and I'll gain a little more throat on the mill at the same time.

                  I would put the lever arm on the top of the 8" dove tail and drive the spindle saddle up and down. For milling ops, I would lock the gib and use is as normal, but for tapping, loosen the lock and manual operate the short stroke. That Scotch Yoke solves the manual movement quite nicely.

                  Johns drill quill is a work of art though. Lots of possibilities for a Taig Radial arm drill press. Just kidding on the readial arm. Maybe.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 10, 2012
                    On 9/9/2012 11:21 AM, Don wrote:
                    > Johns drill quill is a work of art though. Lots of possibilities for
                    > a Taig Radial arm drill press. Just kidding on the readial arm.
                    > Maybe.

                    Adding the ability to tilt the head relative to the z-axis would open up
                    all sorts of interesting possibilities that would otherwise require a
                    fourth axis. Tilting the column isn't quite the same, since positioning
                    for a cut then causes the y position to shift with the z position and
                    makes locating the piece on the table fairly complex.
                  • Pierre Coueffin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 10, 2012
                      I find a tilting head very handy when I don't have the correct
                      endmill... The corner of an endmill or dovetail cutter can be made to
                      cut some other interesting angles.

                      Usually I rough everything out with the head in the normal position,
                      sometimes just engraving small lines to mark my "tilted" cuts. Then
                      setup for tilted cutting and very carefully find each edge... Time
                      consuming, but usually faster than making an oddball cutter out of
                      drill rod.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 10, 2012
                        Paul, I used to follow a group, CNC_toolkit. The group owner, Rainnea, had a 5/6 axis Taig. I can't find the photos of it, but he used satellite dish motor drives converted for steppers for the fifth and sixth axis. CNC_toolkit is Cam software but it is based as a plugin for 3DSMax. There was some talk a couple years back about including Rhino 3D, but I think that fell through.

                        His focus was Wood and wax carvings for jewelry patterns, but there was some other interesting stuff created with it. I gave up on it as it was going to require another CAD program and another big learning curve. Some of his hardware though had promise for our use. The killer would be the weight of the motor though.

                        There was some talk there about using the Sherline Rotary for a tilting head. That would add a lot of distance from the column though and I expect it wouldn't work very well for anything tougher than wax.

                        Don

                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Paul J. Ste. Marie" <taig@...> wrote:

                        > On 9/9/2012 11:21 AM, Don wrote:
                        > > Johns drill quill is a work of art though. Lots of possibilities for
                        > > a Taig Radial arm drill press. Just kidding on the readial arm.
                        > > Maybe.
                        >
                        > Adding the ability to tilt the head relative to the z-axis would open up
                        > all sorts of interesting possibilities that would otherwise require a
                        > fourth axis. Tilting the column isn't quite the same, since positioning
                        > for a cut then causes the y position to shift with the z position and
                        > makes locating the piece on the table fairly complex.

                      • Rockman4418
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012
                          As far as adding the ability to tilt the head in one or two axis. You might want to checkout http://www.doughtydrive.com/products.html
                          With these add-on's one could invariably have a 6 axis machine with the addition of a rotary table mounted on the x axis.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 11, 2012
                              Woops, hit the wrong button.

                              A couple years back there was a lot of talk about them on the CNC_toolkit group. It was all good if I remember correctly.

                              Don