Re: [taigtools] Re: taig microproto 2000 mach 3 configuration

  • Lester Caine
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 6, 2012
      PeterS wrote:
      > Hi Lester - The controller & machine has 4 axis. Will the Mach3t2k.xml imperial file Automatically open up Mach3 with the correct Taig setup. Thank you very much!
      Providing it's a 'new' machine, then yes ...

      I keep meaning to check that the uploaded one IS ok, but I forget when I've got
      a 2000 controller on the bench as it is already on my computer :)

      Controllers since about 2003 have had the 'step and direction board fitted so
      that they work with Mach3 ... older controllers needed 2 parallel ports to drive
      four axies, with the A axis on the second port.

      --
      Lester Caine - G8HFL
      -----------------------------
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
        Lester Caine wrote:
        > I keep meaning to check that the uploaded one IS ok, but I forget when I've got
        > a 2000 controller on the bench as it is already on my computer:)

        OK Sorry guys ... there was a missing pin number in the imperial file ...
        http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=1241 - Mach3T2k.xml
        http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=1242 - Mach3T2kmm.xml

        I've also switched the screen set back to 1024.set as they were actually looking
        for Kurt's screen set anyway, and I haven't used that in some time myself.

        I've started a rib sheet for fault finding
        http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=When+Mach3+will+not+work+...
        As more pointers come up obviously I'll expand it, and I want to add pictures
        some of the areas for those who have trouble finding the compute on switch ;)

        --
        Lester Caine - G8HFL
        -----------------------------
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
          Hello Lester,
          Thanks for the new links. The third one bring up an error page for me.

          Re your private message to me: I can't measure any voltage reading on
          pin 1 to ground at the computer printer port using a digital VOM when I
          change the reset button from flashing to steady. Pin 2 doesn't change
          for the X either so it appears the parallel port on my computer is bad.
          I am going to ask my son who is much better at diagnosing computer
          problems than me to confirm that I have a bad port. In the mean time, I
          think I have a PCI card here to replace the built in port. Thanks for
          sending me the clue.

          Rupert

          On 8/7/2012 6:03 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
          > Lester Caine wrote:
          >> I keep meaning to check that the uploaded one IS ok, but I forget when I've got
          >> a 2000 controller on the bench as it is already on my computer:)
          >
          > OK Sorry guys ... there was a missing pin number in the imperial file ...
          > http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=1241 - Mach3T2k.xml
          > http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=1242 - Mach3T2kmm.xml
          >
          > I've also switched the screen set back to 1024.set as they were actually looking
          > for Kurt's screen set anyway, and I haven't used that in some time myself.
          >
          > I've started a rib sheet for fault finding
          > http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=When+Mach3+will+not+work+...
          > As more pointers come up obviously I'll expand it, and I want to add pictures
          > some of the areas for those who have trouble finding the compute on switch ;)

          --

          yvt

          Rupert Wenig
          Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

          email: rwenig2@...

          http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
        • Lester Caine
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
            Rupert wrote:
            > Hello Lester,
            > Thanks for the new links. The third one bring up an error page for me.
            Serves me right for adding the ... in the title ;)
            http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=When+Mach3+will+not+work

            > Re your private message to me: I can't measure any voltage reading on
            > pin 1 to ground at the computer printer port using a digital VOM when I
            > change the reset button from flashing to steady. Pin 2 doesn't change
            > for the X either so it appears the parallel port on my computer is bad.
            > I am going to ask my son who is much better at diagnosing computer
            > problems than me to confirm that I have a bad port. In the mean time, I
            > think I have a PCI card here to replace the built in port. Thanks for
            > sending me the clue.

            I thought you said that the motors locked up? Was that just while the computer
            has power rather than from the reset switch?

            --
            Lester Caine - G8HFL
            -----------------------------
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
              Hello Lester,
              It looks like I didn't get proper voltage readings on the DP25 as I
              decided to try the computer on my CNC router table which has a Gecko540
              controller on it. All 3 motors ran fine albeit slow. I didn't change any
              motor tuning for the trial.
              Back to the Taig and MPS2000: The motors do lock up when ever the
              controller is powered up. Signals from the computer seem to affect that.
              The rest button on the screen doesn't affect the condition of the motors
              either.
              Maybe you hit on a point: you mention rest switch. I have the E-stop in
              ports & pins input set so the reset button on the screen works. The
              controller is wired for an E-stop but I haven't installed the E-stop
              switch yet. Could that be the problem?

              Rupert
              Ps. The voltages on the caps are 57V and 7.9V. and both fuses are ok.

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 7, 2012
                Hello Lester,
                I need to apologize and back up a bit. First, the 2 wire plug to the
                update board was unplugged. The motors lock up when that plug is open.
                The motors don't lock when the update board has power.
                The line in the paragraph below should read "No signals from the
                computer seem to affect that".
                Is there a wiring diagram for the other plug next to the power plug on
                the board? I think the plug is for limit switches, E-stop, and to
                control spindle motor relays.

                Rupert

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 8, 2012
                  Rupert wrote:
                  > Hello Lester,
                  > I need to apologize and back up a bit. First, the 2 wire plug to the
                  > update board was unplugged. The motors lock up when that plug is open.
                  > The motors don't lock when the update board has power.
                  > The line in the paragraph below should read "No signals from the
                  > computer seem to affect that".
                  > Is there a wiring diagram for the other plug next to the power plug on
                  > the board? I think the plug is for limit switches, E-stop, and to
                  > control spindle motor relays.

                  http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=555
                  But the emergency stop should be pulled high, so enabled when nothing is
                  connected. In any case the the reset is toggling, then estop is not affecting
                  things.

                  The only pin that controls enabling the motors is pin 1 of the parallel port.

                  One trick I use to test things is to use the 'Active Low' on ports and
                  pins->output signals ... I use this to toggle the output relays on and off
                  manually on my other controllers.

                  --
                  Lester Caine - G8HFL
                  -----------------------------
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 8, 2012
                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Lester Caine <lester@...> wrote:

                    > Rupert wrote:
                    > > Hello Lester,
                    > > I need to apologize and back up a bit. First, the 2 wire plug to the update board was unplugged. The motors lock up when that plug is open. The motors don't lock when the update board has power.
                    The line in the paragraph below should read "No signals from the
                    computer seem to affect that".
                    Is there a wiring diagram for the other plug next to the power plug on the board? I think the plug is for limit switches, E-stop, and to control spindle motor relays.

                    > The only pin that controls enabling the motors is pin 1 of the parallel port.
                    >
                    > One trick I use to test things is to use the 'Active Low' on ports and
                    > pins->output signals ... I use this to toggle the output relays on and off
                    > manually on my other controllers.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Lester Caine - G8HFL
                    > -----------------------------

                    Hi Lester & Rupert - Forgive me for interrupting & Hijacking Ruperts thread. Hope you understand Rupert!

                    Just wanted to report that I now have everything configured and running according to Dr. Daley instruction manual. It was there, right in front of me all the time. Nice manual & very nicely done to work with the taig controller.

                    Thank you all very much for putting up with this senior citizen. It's been an adventure for me and I have a long way to go. Hope you all forgive me for interrupting the thread. I know that the taig forum does not tolerate hijacking. Kindest regards! PM
                  • Rupert
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 8, 2012
                      Hello Peter,
                      No problem specially as we both had similar problems. I'm happy to hear
                      you solved yours and got your mill running. Either I don't understand
                      the configuring right or I have a fault in my controller. The computer
                      will run the CNC router table when I change the settings to match the
                      Gecko 540 I have on the RT so I have so I figure that unit is ok. I
                      can't get the RT computer to run the Taig either.
                      You mention Dr. Daley's instruction manual. I suspect you have an
                      updated copy as the manual I got refers to the old DOS system. Do you
                      have a lead to a digital copy I could download?
                      Would you mind checking what pins you are using at Ports & Pins under
                      motor outputs for the step pin# and the dir pin #?

                      Rupert

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 8, 2012
                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rwenig2@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Peter,
                        >No problem specially as we both had similar problems. I'm happy to hear you solved yours and got your mill running. Either I don't understand the configuring right or I have a fault in my controller. The computer will run the CNC router table when I change the settings to match the Gecko 540 I have on the RT so I have so I figure that unit is ok. can't get the RT computer to run the Taig either. You mention Dr. Daley's instruction manual. I suspect you have an updated copy as the manual I got refers to the old DOS system. Do you have a lead to a digital copy I could download? Would you mind checking what pins you are using at Ports & Pins under motor outputs for the step pin# and the dir pin #?

                        > Rupert

                        You're asking a poor source for any knowledge. Not sure of what you're looking for as I did not follow your postings that closely and not sure of your needs. It took all this senior could do to follow up what replys and try to understand what was pertinent to the original post.

                        Try this for now, I found a posting by jbothell on cnczone.com. I think it is under the thread "newby with a taig micro mill 2000". which I tried related to his CNC TAIG using the TAIG Controller designed by TAIG. Doing a websearch may help. These were the settings that worked for me. jbothell did a nice job. Hope this will help?

                        Sorry but it's getting late here and I'm not sure if what you have to configure is the same. Let us know how this works? Feel free to send me a PM or post your query under a new thread. kindest regards PS
                      • Lester Caine
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 8, 2012
                          Rupert wrote:
                          > No problem specially as we both had similar problems. I'm happy to hear
                          > you solved yours and got your mill running. Either I don't understand
                          > the configuring right or I have a fault in my controller. The computer
                          > will run the CNC router table when I change the settings to match the
                          > Gecko 540 I have on the RT so I have so I figure that unit is ok. I
                          > can't get the RT computer to run the Taig either.

                          Rupert ... if the computer is running your Gecko, and the latest XML file is not
                          working, then the controller needs looking at ... you are at the point where I
                          would be pulling the SD board and dropping it into working box. Since you are in
                          the US then a visit to Taig for it seems the best next step.

                          --
                          Lester Caine - G8HFL
                          -----------------------------
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 9, 2012
                            On 8/8/2012 11:59 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
                            > Rupert wrote:
                            >> No problem specially as we both had similar problems. I'm happy to hear
                            >> you solved yours and got your mill running. Either I don't understand
                            >> the configuring right or I have a fault in my controller. The computer
                            >> will run the CNC router table when I change the settings to match the
                            >> Gecko 540 I have on the RT so I have so I figure that unit is ok. I
                            >> can't get the RT computer to run the Taig either.
                            >
                            > Rupert ... if the computer is running your Gecko, and the latest XML file is not
                            > working, then the controller needs looking at ... you are at the point where I
                            > would be pulling the SD board and dropping it into working box. Since you are in
                            > the US then a visit to Taig for it seems the best next step.

                            Lester,
                            Actually I'm in Canada. I'm about to order a new SD board. A couple of
                            things puzzle me though.
                            1) Why do the motors lock up when I turn on the power to the controller
                            when the computer is disconnected and stay free when the computer is
                            connected?
                            2) The step and DIR pins in Ports & Pins/motor outputs come up as 3 and
                            2 respectively for the X axis. They show as 2 and 3 respectively on the
                            drawing. Any ideas which is correct?

                            Is there any way I can confirm that the XML file installed correctly
                            other than everything works?

                            Peter mentioned Dr. Daley instruction manual. Is this different from
                            the instructions posted on your site? Should I be looking for a copy?
                            The manual that came with the mill I have refers to the old DOS OS.

                            Rupert

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 9, 2012
                              Rupert wrote:
                              > 1) Why do the motors lock up when I turn on the power to the controller
                              > when the computer is disconnected and stay free when the computer is
                              > connected?
                              Actually it's been a while since I checked ... got a DSLS3000 hooked up at the
                              moment. This just stays on and I've just checked and they do not free up when
                              reset is off, but I think that the 2000LE does ... anybody confirm that?
                              In which case the computer pin 1 is holding them free, while with nothing
                              connected the pin floats high and locks them.

                              > 2) The step and DIR pins in Ports & Pins/motor outputs come up as 3 and
                              > 2 respectively for the X axis. They show as 2 and 3 respectively on the
                              > drawing. Any ideas which is correct?
                              ?
                              X Step is pin 3 on the drawing ... and on the XML file
                              X Dir is pin 2 ...

                              > Is there any way I can confirm that the XML file installed correctly
                              > other than everything works?
                              >
                              > Peter mentioned Dr. Daley instruction manual. Is this different from
                              > the instructions posted on your site? Should I be looking for a copy?
                              > The manual that came with the mill I have refers to the old DOS OS.

                              The last manual I had was a few years ago, so I don't know what Kurt is shipping
                              these days. We do our own controller these days using more powerful bipolar
                              drivers, but the notes for setting up things are the same.
                              http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view.php?gallery_id=3 has all the material I've
                              gathered so far, but Nick Carters archive is the best source of information.

                              --
                              Lester Caine - G8HFL
                              -----------------------------
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 9, 2012
                                Hello Lester,
                                It looks like we both have mistakes. I got my numbers switched around.
                                The numbers that come up on my screen are the same as on your sheet
                                <http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=2028&size=large>. Pin
                                2 is shown as step and pin3 is shown as dir. The drawing at
                                <http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=554> shows pin3 as
                                step and pin 2 as dir.

                                Now some good news: I don't know what else I did but I switched the pin
                                numbers to match the drawing for x, y, z and a. That is, pin3 for step
                                and pin 2 for dir, etc.(I thought I did that yesterday). All 4 turn now
                                but very growly. I find that exciting. :-) I haven't tried the spindle
                                yet. The E-stop are pin 1 and pin 10.
                                Thanks for your help.

                                Rupert
                                Ps. now to go play with motor tuning.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 9, 2012
                                  Rupert wrote:
                                  > Hello Lester,
                                  > It looks like we both have mistakes. I got my numbers switched around.
                                  > The numbers that come up on my screen are the same as on your sheet
                                  > <http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=2028&size=large>. Pin
                                  > 2 is shown as step and pin3 is shown as dir.
                                  Well if you read the top of that picture it says 'SmoothStepper' ;) The folder
                                  has been re-named now as well!

                                  > The drawing at
                                  > <http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=554> shows pin3 as
                                  > step and pin 2 as dir.
                                  >
                                  > Now some good news: I don't know what else I did but I switched the pin
                                  > numbers to match the drawing for x, y, z and a. That is, pin3 for step
                                  > and pin 2 for dir, etc.(I thought I did that yesterday). All 4 turn now
                                  > but very growly. I find that exciting.:-) I haven't tried the spindle
                                  > yet. The E-stop are pin 1 and pin 10.
                                  > Thanks for your help.

                                  The XML files I gave you links to are set up with the ideal motor settings as
                                  well ... The metric settings are what most of my customers use, which is why I
                                  was a little surprised at there being a problem.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 21, 2012
                                    It works. I ran a trial run yesterday cutting out a MDF clamp
                                    pattern. Pic attached. All went well and I didn't mark the sacrificial
                                    board. Next step is try cutting aluminum.
                                    Thanks for your help with setting the Taig up.

                                    Rupert