Re: Taig micro-mill leadscrew bearing replacement!

  • bjm323
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2012
      http://www.cartertools.com/millbear.html

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "lek12511" <l@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I have to replace the z-axis leadscrew scealed bearing. Does anyone have a tip for removing the faild bearing - e.g recomended tools, replacement & setup procedures, etc? Thanks - Lek.

    • lek12511
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2012
        Thanks for the images - I also came across them while searching the issue. My problem is the direct removal of the bearing having undone the three retaining screws. It seems very tight & I'm a little concerned about damaging the surrounding part. I guese a small expansion bolt could help?

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "bjm323" <bjm323@...> wrote:

        > http://www.cartertools.com/millbear.html
        >
        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "lek12511" <l@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi, I have to replace the z-axis leadscrew scealed bearing. Does anyone have a tip for removing the faild bearing - e.g recomended tools, replacement & setup procedures, etc? Thanks - Lek.

      • Pierre Coueffin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2012
          The tool you want looks like this:

          http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

          Although, if you are going to spend money on it, look for a better
          quality one. Anyone who works on motorcycles should have a blind
          bearing puller.

          On 7/4/12, lek12511 <l@...> wrote:
          > Thanks for the images - I also came across them while searching the issue.
          > My problem is the direct removal of the bearing having undone the three
          > retaining screws. It seems very tight & I'm a little concerned about
          > damaging the surrounding part. I guese a small expansion bolt could help?
          >
          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "bjm323" <bjm323@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> http://www.cartertools.com/millbear.html
          >>
          >> --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "lek12511" <l@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Hi, I have to replace the z-axis leadscrew scealed bearing. Does anyone
          >> > have a tip for removing the faild bearing - e.g recomended tools,
          >> > replacement & setup procedures, etc? Thanks - Lek.

        • chuck
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2012
            try applying some heat from a hair dryer to the outer housing and use a hooked tool ( Allen wrench with a flat ground on it ) in the inner race of the bearing to pull it out.

            Thanks for the images - I also came across them while searching the issue. My problem is the direct removal of the bearing having undone the three retaining screws. It seems very tight & I'm a little concerned about damaging the surrounding part. I guese a small expansion bolt could help?

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "bjm323" <bjm323@...> wrote:

            > http://www.cartertools.com/millbear.html
            >
            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "lek12511" <l@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, I have to replace the z-axis leadscrew scealed bearing. Does anyone have a tip for removing the faild bearing - e.g recomended tools, replacement & setup procedures, etc? Thanks - Lek.

          • Don
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2012
              You just need a punch, or a piece of round rod that fits loosely in the hole that the lead screw goes into and larger than the ID of the bearing. Then on your bench, place a large 1/2 Drive socket that will just slip over the OD of the bearing, face up, put the bearing block on it , and then with your punch, or round rod, put it through the hole in the bearing block and tap the bearing out. A piece of pipe, will work for the socket. You want a full face support of the housing that the bearing can slip into. If you have a drill press, I've used one as a light duty arbor press for small bearings, I stress the light duty part. If it take more pressure than you feel with a big drill, stop. In this case, you can use your drill vise to support the housing. You don't clamp it in the vise, but close the jaws to just wider than the bearing and then push out the bearing.

              An ideal punch, on the working end would look just like the end of the lead screw where and just to the screw side of the bearing mount, but about 2 to 5 thousands smaller on the bearing surface for a slip fit.. A couple minutes in the lathe using a 3/8" or 1/2" bolt for stock will give you a great tool.

              Don