Re: [taigtools] Re: Cross-Slide Modifications

    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 6, 2012
      http://www.cartertools.com/newsetup03.html
      Shows the current cross slide screw assembly. This design is now used on
      the cross slide, top slide and milling attachment.

      The screw is 1/4"-20 tpi, 60 deg. thread, left hand on the cross slide,
      right hand on the top slide and milling attachment.

      The old design for the screw assembly on all three components uses the
      acorn nut.

      --
      felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein.
      Learn more about us at http://www.nickandfelice.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 6, 2012
        Nick, thanks for the info. It really clears up the conversation on this. That is quite a bit different than my two Carriages are, Now we can be on the same page for this topic.

        My "new" carriage must be older than I thought. Now I wonder how long I have had it kicking around in the drawer. I know it was within the last 10 years. Boy time fly's

        I like the new design a lot better than the old one. It is more robust. That little shaft was easy to bend and adjusting the end play was a real pain. I also see now about the earlier warning on milling the "hard anodized" carriage. Mine are soft castings.

        Don

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein <felice@...> wrote:

        > http://www.cartertools.com/newsetup03.html
        > Shows the current cross slide screw assembly. This design is now used on
        > the cross slide, top slide and milling attachment.
        >
        > The screw is 1/4"-20 tpi, 60 deg. thread, left hand on the cross slide,
        > right hand on the top slide and milling attachment.
        >
        > The old design for the screw assembly on all three components uses the
        > acorn nut.
        >

        > --
        > felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein.
        > Learn more about us at http://www.nickandfelice.com

      • a_b_aldus
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 6, 2012
          Thanks, Nick!

          This is what I tried to find, beating all URLs around...

          Maybe you could also answer few more questions about this
          handwheel construction.

          1. What is purpose (except to be nice) of this little end
          screw - very expensive one (about $3 if buy as part). It's
          called "dial lock screw" but does it really lock anything?

          http://www.cartertools.com/03211236.jpg

          2. Leadscrew end flat is actually slanted - and it looks
          like setscrew with cone or half-round end would try to pull
          it in (so preloading) - but in my handwheel I see cup setscrew.
          Is this correct screw?

          3. Can't figure out how this brass handle is locked - if I
          pull it out it kind of pops out - there is nothing locking it
          in the hole but somehow it holds and rotates freely.

          Thanks!
          Arcady

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein <felice@...> wrote:

          > http://www.cartertools.com/newsetup03.html
          > Shows the current cross slide screw assembly. This design is now used on
          > the cross slide, top slide and milling attachment.
          >
          > The screw is 1/4"-20 tpi, 60 deg. thread, left hand on the cross slide,
          > right hand on the top slide and milling attachment.
          >
          > The old design for the screw assembly on all three components uses the
          > acorn nut.
          >

          > --
          > felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein.
          > Learn more about us at http://www.nickandfelice.com

        • Paul J. Ste. Marie
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 6, 2012
            On 6/6/2012 7:39 PM, a_b_aldus wrote:
            > this little end
            > screw - very expensive one (about $3 if buy as part).

            That looks like a 4-40 button head cap screw. A box of 100 runs about
            $9-$10 at Amazon.
          • ED MAISEY
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 6, 2012
              Paul,

                  its 2-56, I checked it on my lathe,

              ........Edmund.........

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 6, 2012
                On 6/6/2012 11:25 PM, ED MAISEY wrote:
                > its 2-56, I checked it on my lathe,

                Still on the order of $10/box of 100.
              • a_b_aldus
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                  I would say it's free from me box of old assorted screws,
                  but to make blind threaded hole of such small diameter would
                  be harder. Why it's listed for almost $3 as Taig part - I
                  have no idea, but why it is required? Is it just a "cap"?
                  Or does it have some functionality?

                  Arcady

                  BTW It's even more expensive at Amazon. I need 1, and for
                  this one I have to pay $10 + S/H :)

                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Paul J. Ste. Marie" <taig@...> wrote:

                  > On 6/6/2012 11:25 PM, ED MAISEY wrote:
                  > > its 2-56, I checked it on my lathe,
                  >
                  > Still on the order of $10/box of 100.

                • Ronald Lambier
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                    To Nicholas Carter, I greatly appreciate that you were forth coming with the information regarding the size and thread dimensions of the feed screws and their related paraphernalia. Knowing that a Left handed 1/4 x 20 Acme Leadscrew is not required has made my life much easier. Whilst, yes Roton does sell Left Handed Acme Leadscrews of the correct size. Getting them to quote a price for a tap is like pulling hen's teeth. Now knowing that a standard 60 degree left handed screw is all that is required as well as the related tap. My quest to have re-zero able feed screws just got a little less complicated.

                    Thank You, ThankYou, ThankYou

                  • alighazizadeh
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                      Hi Ronald,

                      Does this mean that the Taig's cross slide lead screw is not an ACME but an ordinary unc LH screw?

                      Thanks,

                      A.G

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                        An angle grinder with a sanding disk will remove the "hard anodized"
                        coating from aluminum in seconds. With a normal grinding disk it'll
                        strip the hard surface off of case-hardened steel, or iron castings
                        too... Do it outside, well away from your machine tools.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                          All Taig screws with the exception of the lathe power feed screw are 60
                          degree thread form.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                            > 1. What is purpose (except to be nice) of this little end
                            > screw - very expensive one (about $3 if buy as part). It's
                            > called "dial lock screw" but does it really lock anything?
                            It helps lock the dial onto the leadscrew as well as providing a means
                            of adjusting end play. I doubt it's $3.00, Taig doesn't have a price
                            listed for it but it's probably on the order of 10-20 cents. A box of
                            100 of them shouldn't cost more than $20.00 from MSC, etc.

                            > 2. Leadscrew end flat is actually slanted - and it looks
                            > like setscrew with cone or half-round end would try to pull
                            > it in (so preloading) - but in my handwheel I see cup setscrew.
                            > Is this correct screw?
                            Yes, there's a slight bevel on the outside that acts against it, but
                            really again it's more for security, the end screw should adjust play.

                            > 3. Can't figure out how this brass handle is locked - if I
                            > pull it out it kind of pops out - there is nothing locking it
                            > in the hole but somehow it holds and rotates freely.
                            It's pressed in, it usually does not rotate although if you pulled it
                            out it probably does now.

                            While I appreciate the level of detail you are giving to the system,
                            it's really not nearly as complex as it seems.
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                              Hi Ronald,

                              Great news, now I can start thinking about making a larger cross slide for this fine lathe.

                              Regards,

                              A.G

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                                Although I find the subject interesting I must say, this subject line is getting very confusing for me, we have gone from size of a small screw and acme threads, to grinding of anodized and case hardened surfaces, do we have two different threads under one subject line,

                                ........Edmund.........

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                                  Thanks, Nick, again for your detailed explanation!

                                  > > it in (so preloading) - but in my handwheel I see cup setscrew.
                                  > > Is this correct screw?
                                  > Yes, there's a slight bevel on the outside that acts against it, but
                                  > really again it's more for security, the end screw should adjust play.

                                  Which probaly means that One have to first tighten the end screw
                                  and THEN the set screw, am I right?

                                  > > 3. Can't figure out how this brass handle is locked - if I
                                  > > pull it out it kind of pops out - there is nothing locking it
                                  > > in the hole but somehow it holds and rotates freely.
                                  > It's pressed in, it usually does not rotate although if you pulled it
                                  > out it probably does now.

                                  I always had an opinion that such handle must rotate when handwheel
                                  is big enough :)

                                  > While I appreciate the level of detail you are giving to the system,
                                  > it's really not nearly as complex as it seems.

                                  It's very clever! I do not have/use Taig lathe - I'm trying to
                                  use Taig compound on my Unimat SL, so I got Taig part in my hands
                                  first time, hence the interest - how it's done.

                                  Arcady
                                • alighazizadeh
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                                    Hi Edmund,

                                    I have for sometime been thinking about improving the lead screw nut on the cross slide as there is no real way of taking the backlash out of the lead screw, mine is about 0.007" now which is excessive. I also believe that the combination of the nut and the lead screw holds too much "spring" particularly during cut off operations. I am just delighted to learn that lead screw is just a unc thread so that i could perhaps experiment with different home made nuts.

                                    Regards,

                                    A.G

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 7, 2012
                                      A.G.

                                          I understand your wanting to improve the slack between the lead screw and the matching nut, and I do not want to influence you in anyway otherwise, because it is an interesting project and would be an improvement in that area, for myself I would have no concern because whether I'm machining outside or boring inside the slack is always taken up in the machining direction, I would only be concerned with wear on the lead screw, that is when you might get an error,

                                      Please don't take this as critic, this is just my choice,

                                      ........Edmund.........

                                      ________________________________

                                      --
                                      felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein.
                                      Learn more about us at http://www.nickandfelice.com

                                    • Pierre Coueffin
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 8, 2012
                                        I've had some very promising results lately experimenting with
                                        Polycaprolactone plastic granules as a gib in a dovetail. Granules of
                                        the stuff will flow under pressure from the setscrews, and provide a
                                        very nice sliding surface that mates very precisely with the dovetail.
                                        Because of its low melting point, it would not work in high-friction
                                        applications though.

                                        I'd be tempted to cross-drill a sloppy nut and add a set-screw, then
                                        flow poly-morph into the gap between the nut and leadscrew. This
                                        could fill the gap between the two surfaces with a thin, slippery
                                        nylon-like layer. A couple of strategically placed cuts in the inner
                                        surface of the nut would "key" the plastic so it does not turn with
                                        the leadscrew. A babbit like metal, or a filled epoxy (moglice type
                                        stuff) might be better, but PCL is what I have on hand...
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 24 10:03 AM
                                          I was contacted by a guy who says:
                                          "Do you know anyone in the bay area, CA (like San Jose, Santa Clara)
                                          that has
                                          their own assembled Taig lathe that is the sort of person that wouldn't mind
                                          helping me with mine? I'd like to pay them for their time and I do have
                                          machinery for them to use to drill holes, sand and lap things smoothly, etc.
                                          If you have someone in mind, can you please pass my phone number to them and
                                          see if they might be interested in helping me."

                                          If anybody in the Bay Area wants to help, email me (felice@...)
                                          and I'll give you his contact info. He bought the kit from taig directly
                                          so he's not a customer of mine and he doesn't seem to realize how easy
                                          it is to set the lathe up.

                                          Nick