Chuck Adapter

  • Don
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2012
      The Sherline Rotary table comes with an adapter that allows you to screw on a 3 or 4 jaw chuck to the face plate. The thread is right for a Taig Chuck, or other nose tools, but the threads are only long enough to get 1 to 1 1/2 turns. The 3/4-16 threads need to be 1/2" long. Does anyone know of an version with longer 3/4-16 threads so I can use my Taig tools on the rotary, or do I need to remember how cut threads on the big lathe again?

      Do
    • Dean
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2012
        Don, Taig makes one that has correct length threads for Taig chucks. Part number 1221. Dunno if it fits the Sherline RT.
        Here's a link to a pic so you can have a look at it:
        http://www.cartertools.com/1221.jpg

        Dean

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <Don@...> wrote:

        > The Sherline Rotary table comes with an adapter that allows you to screw on a 3 or 4 jaw chuck to the face plate. The thread is right for a Taig Chuck, or other nose tools, but the threads are only long enough to get 1 to 1 1/2 turns. The 3/4-16 threads need to be 1/2" long. Does anyone know of an version with longer 3/4-16 threads so I can use my Taig tools on the rotary, or do I need to remember how cut threads on the big lathe again?
        >
        > Do

      • alighazizadeh
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2012
          Hi,

          The Sherline adapter is of no use for Taig chuck as the Taig relies on the shoulder-register at the end of the spindle nose for alignment of the chuck. Dean's suggestion is the cheapest and the most convenient option and it should mount on the Sherline rotary using the two supplied screws and nuts or any other rotary with 4 slots in the face but not the ones with 3. Given the price and the convenience I wouldn't bother with thread cutting. Once you have centered the adapter you could just leave it there for future use.

          Regards,

          A.G

          The Sherline Rotary table comes with an adapter that allows you to screw on a 3 or 4 jaw chuck to the face plate. The thread is right for a Taig Chuck, or other nose tools, but the threads are only long enough to get 1 to 1 1/2 turns. The 3/4-16 threads need to be 1/2" long. Does anyone know of an version with longer 3/4-16 threads so I can use my Taig tools on the rotary, or do I need to remember how cut threads on the big lathe again?

          Do

        • Shawn Woolley
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2012
            The chuck adapter #1221 is a great accessory not only does it do what it's supposed to do. But I bought three extra ones and I have them mounted with brass wood screws to the side of the Gerstner style lower cabinet I use to hold my lathe and I just mount whatever chucks I'm not using on those adapters there safe easy to find and theres no way of knocking them off a shelf or dinging them in a drawer. I can also get stock set up in all of them for making a bunch of beads or whatever and then just grab and mount the chuck when needed.

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Dean" <deanofid@...> wrote:

            > Don, Taig makes one that has correct length threads for Taig chucks. Part number 1221. Dunno if it fits the Sherline RT.
            > Here's a link to a pic so you can have a look at it:
            > http://www.cartertools.com/1221.jpg
            >
            > Dean
            >

            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <Don@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The Sherline Rotary table comes with an adapter that allows you to screw on a 3 or 4 jaw chuck to the face plate. The thread is right for a Taig Chuck, or other nose tools, but the threads are only long enough to get 1 to 1 1/2 turns. The 3/4-16 threads need to be 1/2" long. Does anyone know of an version with longer 3/4-16 threads so I can use my Taig tools on the rotary, or do I need to remember how cut threads on the big lathe again?
            > >
            > > Do

          • Don
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2012
              Guys, I have the Taig adapter, but I wanted something like the Sherline on that screws into the center of the rotary table and then the chuck screws to it. Basically a 3/8" thread, with a registration ring to the Rotary table. Then 3/4 x 16 threads above the table. I don't wasn't a permanent attachment, nor one that is going to take forever to center each time I use it.

              Since I posted the question, I have one almost finished with the longer threads, and a 3/4" reregistration ring for the Taig chucks. The only thing left is to cut the 3/4" threads. Won't get it finished today, got to take the wife out for M.D. dinner.

              Don