Taig notes

  • Leon Heller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
      I've added some notes about using my Taig lathe for fly cutting and holding
      a DTI with the toolpost to my web site (see sig.). I'll be adding more tips
      and techniques as I come up with them.

      Please let me know if there is anything wrong with my approach. It's many
      years since I've done any machining, and I didn't do very much of it then,
      anyway.

      Leon
      --
      Leon Heller, G1HSM
      Tel: +44 1327 359058

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
        Great start for the page! I use the toolpost on the mill headstock for
        holding my Starret DTI, although mone has a rectangular shank with a pivot
        to the body for a little more adjustment. For the small space available,
        that's a great solution.
        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
        http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

        > I've added some notes about using my Taig lathe for fly cutting and
        holding
        > a DTI with the toolpost to my web site (see sig.). I'll be adding more
        tips
        > and techniques as I come up with them.
        >
        > Please let me know if there is anything wrong with my approach. It's many
        > years since I've done any machining, and I didn't do very much of it then,
        > anyway.
        >
        > Leon
        > --
        > Leon Heller, G1HSM
        > Tel: +44 1327 359058
        > Email:leon_heller@...
        > My web page: http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
          > From: "Leon Heller" <leon_heller@...>
          >
          > I've added some notes about using my Taig lathe for fly cutting and holding
          > a DTI with the toolpost to my web site (see sig.).
          >
          > Please let me know if there is anything wrong with my approach.

          Your approach looks fine. Even after you get the mill, you'll find
          yourself milling or flycutting the ends of bars and such in the lathe
          since the Z axis on the Taig mill is short.

          I found your living cheaply in France material very interesting, thanks
          for the link!

          Jim Eckman
        • Stan Stocker
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
            Leon;

            Nice pictures, and an interesting site for a former electronics guy!

            If you are getting chatter while flycutting, you might want to reduce the
            cutter overhang a bit, the photo of the flycutter appears to have quite a bit
            of toolbit out in the breeze.

            Looking Good!

            Stan

          • tadici283@cs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
              In a message dated 7/8/2001 6:14:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              FUGU@... writes:

              > Your approach looks fine. Even after you get the mill, you'll find
              > yourself milling or flycutting the ends of bars and such in the lathe
              > since the Z axis on the Taig mill is short.

              Although there is aprox. 6" or so travel in the Z axis, many people forget,
              or do not know that you can turn the milling head/motor assembly sideways!
              With the new
              Z axis this works even better since there are 4 sets of screw holes that
              allow you to move the dovetail wedge down and mount the motor, this morning I
              flycut a two foot piece
              of alumin that measured two inches square. I will grant you that it is not
              the most
              convenient method, having to remove the headstock and wedge, but if you
              really need the cut, I am sure you will do it, Taig may want to take a lesson
              here from Sherline, they have a slick setup in this regard. Chris
              DiCintio of Bradenton FLA