Re: [taigtools] Re: Taig Mill Z Axis Play

  • Steve Wan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2012
      Hi AG

      I don't own a Taig but a Sherline mill. It seems that the Taig head is
      adjustable. You could simply rock the head and tighten till the dial
      is perfect.

      Sherline mill head is fixed so I shimmed the job clamping sides instead.
      This do work fairly well. Anyway if the mill surface is bow, a hand
      filing can clean up the squareness though. Can't rely too much on the
      machine.

      Steve_Singapore

      On 4/7/12, alighazizadeh <alighazizadeh@...> wrote:
      > Hi Steve,
      > I have sort of shimmed it at the bottom of the head and it is better than
      > before but by no means perfect. The problem is that if it is not perfectly
      > trammed it will cut a concave if I am fly cutting a large piece as you know.
      > Thanks for the advice to all who replied.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > A.G

    • alighazizadeh
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2012
        HI Steve,

        I have a Sherline 5400 as well and yesterday I managed to adjust the Sherline to within 0.002" over 6" swing which is ok for this class of mill. The Taig is much more difficult to adjust in the Y plane. I have got it to within 0.0005" over 6" swing in the X axis by tilting the column but the Y axis is really out and I believe that the mill column may not actually have been machined to true vertical relative to the X-Y assembly . I have got a couple of ideas to try and will post if I manage to get it right.

        Many Thanks,