A couple new pages that may be of interest

  • Lewis Hein
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 7:35 AM
      Hi all

      I've recently put up two new pages on my site that may be of interest to some here and on the Taig Owners Club Forum where I am cross-posting this.
      They are:
      A non-javascript based pulley calculator that calculates pulley ratios, center distance, belt length, and can e-mail you the results.
      The url for this page is http://www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp/pulleycalc.php

      The other page is about a free CAD program I found and like
      http://www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp/cad.php

      As always, any website feedback is appreciated!

      Lewis Hein

      Pens, plans and projects online at
      www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp

    • Rick Kernell
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 7:51 AM
        Lewis,

        Thanks for the links! The belt length calculator is something that I really can use. I will download the software and play with it.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 4:40 PM
          Do you prefer to go off your scrib lines for center drilling or do you prefer to do the location by counting hand wheel revolutions.  Both?

          I've been marking with felt tip marker then scribing and then just eyeballing it.  I have pretty decent eyesight still so it's worked out okay.  I can usually get within a 0.001" on a good day.   I have tried the other way and found myself screwing up on the count or not compensating for the slop etc.  Just curious how others do it.

          Thanks!

          Shane

          http://www.fuper.com ~ https://github.com/adamsch1

          ________________________________
          I've recently put up two new pages on my site that may be of interest to some here and on the Taig Owners Club Forum where I am cross-posting this.
          They are:
          A non-javascript based pulley calculator that calculates pulley ratios, center distance, belt length, and can e-mail you the results.
          The url for this page is http://www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp/pulleycalc.php

          The other page is about a free CAD program I found and like
          http://www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp/cad.php

          As always, any website feedback is appreciated!

          Lewis Hein

          Pens, plans and projects online at
          www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp

        • Paul J. Ste. Marie
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 7:40 PM
            On 4/1/2012 4:40 PM, Shane Adams wrote:
            > I have tried the other way and found myself screwing up on the count
            > or not compensating for the slop etc. Just curious how others do
            > it.

            If I'm going for accuracy, I'll use an edge finder and the dials.
            Scribing the location is important, since that's what catches miscounts.

            The trick I use for backlash is to always approach the measurement in
            the same direction. I'll put a + or - after the number when I write it
            down to indicate which way I should be going.
          • Dean
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1 8:08 PM
              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Shane Adams <adamsch1@...> wrote:

              I can usually get within a 0.001" on a good day.

              I use the dials. Then I don't have to wait for a good day. ;)
              There is no slop unless you're working both ways on one axis. Avoid that, and the dials will get you where you want to be.

              If I have to do complicated hole patterns, I mark out in the normal way just to have reference marks, but I don't use them to try to eyeball where a hole goes, and I always start the dials at a zero point so I have a start reference. Working to mark out lines is fine for clearance holes, but not if you need everything to really be "on".
            • alighazizadeh
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2 2:54 AM
                Hi Shane,

                Depends on what you are trying to do. For the sake of the argument lets say you are building a model engine, from my point of view scribing doesn't at the best of times provide any real accuracy, in my case it is about 0.002" at very best and often worse. For real accuracy you need to indicate , find the edges and then dial in using the hand wheels or better with DRO. Although
                if you choose to dial in using the hand wheels you still have the problem of the inaccuracy of the lead screws , but for short distances the errors are not important. If however you are trying drill holes in a plate for mounting an electric motor or similar task, the scribing method is more than satisfactory.

                Regards,

                A.G

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4 4:37 PM
                  The trick for backlash is to not have any.
                  I use the dial method.
                  I have used the scribe and punch method too, but I have never been satisfied with the results.  I set up a plate with multiple drilled/tapped holes, out of 20 holes, I had 3 that I couldn't get to line up with the bolts.  I rebored the plate by counting, and it worked perfectly.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4 4:38 PM
                    If you are trying to match a motor (etc) then a good punch set works fine.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 9 4:01 PM
                      Okay -  I tried the scribe and dial method.  It is how I will be doing things in the future.

                      I just calculate the number of turns on the dial and then if I am dialing clockwise or counter-clockwise.  I noticed in a recent attempt that I had two errors [dialing didn't place the center drill over the right location] due to a misalignment in the vise.

                      So what I do now is:

                      Use and edge finder and then calculate the number of turns to locate for the one axis.  Then do the same for the second axis.  I was very happy to see my hole's line up perfectly on a couple of pieces I laid on this way.  I now realize I was never getting .001 by eyeballing, probably the error was much larger.

                      I also went and purchased an extra large sharpie [ like this one here, but I got mine in blue at an art supply shop for 3 bucks or so http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/magnum-44-marker-132159/%5d   Works really well, and inexpensive.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 9 11:08 PM
                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Shane Adams <adamsch1@...> wrote:

                        > So what I do now is:
                        >
                        > Use and edge finder and then calculate the number of turns to locate for the one axis.  Then do the same for the second axis.  I was very happy to see my hole's line up perfectly on a couple of pieces I laid on this way.  I now realize I was never getting .001 by eyeballing, probably the error was much larger.
                        >
                        > I also went and purchased an extra large sharpie
                        > Shane

                        Glad to hear of your success, Shane!
                        I use a big blue marker, like a Sharpie, too. Pretty handy for those times you don't feel like sloshing Dyekem all over the piece.

                        Dean
                      • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 9 11:27 PM
                          On 4/9/2012 11:08 PM, Dean wrote:
                          > I use a big blue marker, like a Sharpie, too. Pretty handy for those
                          > times you don't feel like sloshing Dyekem all over the piece.

                          You can get Dykem in marker-ish bottles with a big wide felt tip and a
                          screw-on cap. Quite handy. Takes a bit initially to get the tip
                          saturated, but once it does it seems to stay that way, even if you don't
                          use it for a week or two.

                          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-1392&PMPXNO=941830&PARTPG=INLMK3