Drilling a hole in carriage

  • brewbob90
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
      I'm considering drilling a hole, then tapping it to mount something to the carriage. My plan is to place the carriage on the floor then drill the hole with a hand drill. I have no drill press. Seem reasonable? What type a steel is the carriage? I assume its some kind of mild steel and shouldnt be a problem to drill. My plan is to place the hole in a location so I can drill a thru hole then tap it 10-32.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
        The carriage is aluminum. It is hard anodized, so you do have to drill
        through the anodized layer - helps to break through with a drill you
        don't mind dulling and then switch to a sharp drill of the size you
        need, but it isn't that bad to drill through.

        On 3/14/2012 9:01 AM, brewbob90 wrote:
        > I'm considering drilling a hole, then tapping it to mount something
        > to the carriage. My plan is to place the carriage on the floor then
        > drill the hole with a hand drill. I have no drill press. Seem
        > reasonable? What type a steel is the carriage? I assume its some kind
        > of mild steel and shouldnt be a problem to drill. My plan is to place
        > the hole in a location so I can drill a thru hole then tap it 10-32.
        >
        > Thanks

        felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein.
        Learn more about us at http://www.nickandfelice.com
      • ED MAISEY
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
          Can't you set the carriage (saddle) some way on the lathe using the headstock to hold the drill and the tailstock to support the carriage, if that can be arranged it would be better than doing it freehand,  if your lathe is a Taig, then the carriage will be Aluminium (anodized),

          ........Edmund.........

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
            First punch a hole to start hole. Use cobalt drill bit.
            When you tap the threads place a nut of correct thread on tap. This nut will guide you to cut threads at 90 degrees to your plane. As you go in keep the nut moving so it doesn't tighten up on you and strip threads.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
              Great tip about the nut! Thanks

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
                Success! I drilled the hole by hand and tapped it. Center punched then I used a center drill to start hole then finish drilling with bit. Piece of cake. I tried using the nut to help keep the tap in-line. Nut didnt spin and was pulling the threads out...so I removed the nut and tapped by hand. Was fine. Works great!
              • Ken Cline
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
                  Next time, you could try a tapping block instead. LMS sells a fancy one [http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2571], but a chunk of just about anything you have on hand can be used in a pinch: Chuck it up in your lathe, drill, counterbore, face and no more crooked taps!

                  Here's a page I found with a drawing of a 5-hole tapping block (fits #0 - 1/4" taps) [http://onehossshay.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/a-tapping-block-for-a-sherline-mill/%5d. Double check the dimensions - I haven't.

                  On 14 Mar 2012, at 7:10 PM, brewbob90 wrote:

                  > I tried using the nut to help keep the tap in-line. Nut didnt spin and was pulling the threads out...so I removed the nut and tapped by hand.

                • WAM
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 14, 2012
                    I just got that tapping block - Nice!!! well made whoever did it. I had
                    to tap a zillion holes in my LMS mill and it worked great.

                    I really didn't want to disassemble the machine for the nth time and it
                    was kinda required to have it assembled to fit all the brackets. The DRO
                    mag heads are a bit picky on alignment

                    Here's a pic:
                    http://home.comcast.net/%7Eajawam3/swarf/DSCN2301B.jpg

                    There were about 30 holes to mount all the hardware. The tapping block I
                    had was a hobby one. I got the LMS one and it was obvious that it was
                    much higher quality.

                    WAM
                    http://home.comcast.net/~ajawamnet
                    http://home.comcast.net/~ajawamnet/marketturd.htm
                    ------------

                    More information on my services can be found at:
                    http://home.comcast.net/~ajawamnet/wc/wamcover.htm

                    ------------------------
                    "Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm."
                    ~~ Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill (1874-1965)

                    "I've failed at so many things so many times I make
                    Abraham Lincoln look like Bill Gates"
                    ~~ Wayne Mitzen (1959- )

                    "I hate the way people just go from ignorance to despair so quickly; it's the lazy man's option"
                    ~~Professor Tim Flannery (1956- )

                    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
                    ~~ God, in Futurama episode "Godfellas"

                    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
                    and I'm not even sure about the universe."
                    ~~ Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

                    "Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful,
                    is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
                    I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic
                    building block of the universe."
                    ~~ Frank Zappa (1940-1993)

                    Ken Cline wrote:

                    >Next time, you could try a tapping block instead. LMS sells a fancy one [http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2571], but a chunk of just about anything you have on hand can be used in a pinch: Chuck it up in your lathe, drill, counterbore, face and no more crooked taps!
                    >
                    >Here's a page I found with a drawing of a 5-hole tapping block (fits #0 - 1/4" taps) [http://onehossshay.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/a-tapping-block-for-a-sherline-mill/%5d. Double check the dimensions - I haven't.
                    >
                    >On 14 Mar 2012, at 7:10 PM, brewbob90 wrote:
                    >

                    >>I tried using the nut to help keep the tap in-line. Nut didnt spin and was pulling the threads out...so I removed the nut and tapped by hand.

                  • Lewis Hein
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 15, 2012
                      I've read a tip to use a leather washer under the nut to keep it from
                      locking when you tap

                      Lewis Hein
                      Pens, plans and projects online at www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp
                      > Success! I drilled the hole by hand and tapped it. Center punched then I
                      > used a center drill to start hole then finish drilling with bit. Piece of
                      > cake. I tried using the nut to help keep the tap in-line. Nut didnt spin
                      > and was pulling the threads out...so I removed the nut and tapped by hand.
                      > Was fine. Works great!

                    • J. Todd Shultz
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 15, 2012
                        The carriage on a Taig lathe is hard coat anodized extruded aluminum.  If it is not absolutely critical that the hole be perfectly vertical (or Horizontal as the case may be)  then with the carriage mounted on the lathe bed just take a drill and drill the appropriate size hole and tap it with a bottoming tap.