Re: [taigtools] Treadmill motor from Surplus

  • Myron Gochnauer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
      Stan,

      If you have the Surplus catalog handy, could you email me the ordering
      information and short description of the motor? I don't have the
      catalog or any of the ordering particulars. BTW does Surplus say
      anything about where or how they will ship? I'm in Canada, and the only
      decent way to ship small items is via parcel post. Some companies simply
      won't ship that way.

      Thanks.

      Myron
    • alan charles
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
        >From: Myron Gochnauer <goch@...>
        >To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [taigtools] Treadmill motor from Surplus
        >Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 05:57:51 -0300
        >
        >Stan,
        >
        >If you have the Surplus catalog handy, could you email me the ordering
        >information and short description of the motor? I don't have the
        >catalog or any of the ordering particulars. BTW does Surplus say
        >anything about where or how they will ship? I'm in Canada, and the only
        >decent way to ship small items is via parcel post. Some companies simply
        >won't ship that way.

        Princess Auto have locations in many Canadian towns and have treadmill
        motors at $30 or less. A speed controller will be more expensive if you
        don't have the expertise to build one yourself - I passed the motor spec on
        to KB Electronics and asked for their recommendation.
        US suppliers will ship UPS to Canada without any problem, but may charge up
        to $40 for handling the customs paperwork. Free trade,eh!

        >Thanks.
        >
        >Myron

      • Dave Martindale
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
          >Princess Auto have locations in many Canadian towns and have treadmill
          >motors at $30 or less.

          They're actually a good source if you know something about motors. However,
          last time I was in Princess Auto looking at motors I counted *five* different
          treadmill motor bins:

          One of them is a large open-frame AC motor, which is not controllable for
          speed.

          One is a beefy-looking 120 VDC 6 A permanent-magnet DC motor with 17 mm
          shaft and ball bearings at both ends - this is probably the equal of what
          Surplus Center is selling, or even better. I expect this would make a very
          good Taig drive motor. This is $30

          One is a smaller 90 VDC motor from GS Electric rated at 6000 RPM (no current
          rating). This has a ball bearing at the shaft end but a sleeve bearing at
          the closed end. When run at full speed, the closed end gets hot pretty
          fast. I don't know if it's a bearing problem or something else, but I
          wouldn't run this one at high speed for long. It's clearly going to put out
          less power than the one above in any case, but it's a very good deal - it's
          $10 normally and currently on sale for $5.

          Finally, there's a yet-smaller treadmill motor with two sleeve bearings. I
          think this one's more suitable for gerbil treadmills, and wouldn't try using
          it on a Taig at all. It's $15 or $20 and appeared in two different bins with
          different prices for what seems to be identical motors.

          >US suppliers will ship UPS to Canada without any problem, but may charge up
          >to $40 for handling the customs paperwork. Free trade,eh!

          Don't ever use UPS for surface shipments to Canada - that's the conclusion
          of many people. You'll find yourself dinged for a "brokerage" charge that
          no one told you was part of the shipping costs, and you won't find out until
          your item is sitting in UPS's warehouse. That's in addition to anything
          that the shipper might charge extra.

          Dave
        • Stan Stocker
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
            Myron;

            Sorry to be slow getting this info back, had to do an emergency trip to one
            of our data centers, left Sunday and just got home. I can't find my Surplus
            Center catalog, darn it, so here is the contact info from the Sci.Electronics
            FAQ for them:

            Surplus Center
            1015 West "O" Street
            P.O. Box 82209
            Lincoln, NE 68501-2209
            Tel: 800-488-3407 (Order Only)
            Tel: 402-474-4055
            Tel: 402-474-5198

            I hope this is use to you, if I find the catalog I'll pass on part numbers and
            any info on Canadian shipment I can find.

            Stan