Re: [taigtools] PART# 1225 Milling Vise

  • Ron Thompson
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
      On 3/5/2012 3:36 PM, ED MAISEY wrote:
      > Click on the bottom picture, all the dims are there, transfer (draw)
      > those dims in Autocad and scale down
      >
      > ........Edmund.........
      There is one very important section of the drawings missing. That is how
      the screw attaches to the movable jaw. On the Kurt clone I disassembled
      and drew years ago, the nut is specially shaped to have a ramp that does
      two things. It has a ball pivot where it impacts the movable jaw, and
      the ramp pulls the jaw down as it is tightened.

      --

      Ron Thompson

      Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

      http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

      Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
    • ED MAISEY
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
        Hello Ron,

           is it possible the particular part of that design could be altered, I'm not familiar with it,

        ........Edmund.........

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
          On 3/5/2012 5:43 PM, ED MAISEY wrote:
          > Hello Ron,Â
          >
          > Â Â is it possible the particular part of that design could be
          > altered, I'm not familiar with it, Â
          > ........Edmund.........
          Sure, there are other ways of doing it, but that is the feature that
          makes a Kurt so good. I'll try to find the drawings.

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
            Thanks Ron,

                 I look forward, I've never seen that design, I'm really curious, its all educational,

            ........Edmund.........

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
              On 3/5/2012 6:15 PM, ED MAISEY wrote:
              > Thanks Ron,Â
              >
              > Â Â Â I look forward, I've never seen that design, I'm really
              > curious, its all educational,Â
              > ........Edmund.........
              I found my drawing from when I was learning Autocad. Unfortunately, I
              see I failed to draw the nut. Here is a photo of a Kurt replacement nut:
              http://www.kurtworkholding.com/images/2011/vise_nut_Dseries.jpg

              Here is a photo of my drawing. If you can use the DWG file, I can
              provide it:
              http://www.plansandprojects.com/images/Vise/Kurt%20Clone.JPG

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
                Hello Ron,

                    thank you for the attachments nice drawings, not having knowledge of the full size vise, I am assuming the drawing is scaled down for your specific use, did you actually incorporate the same design of nut as the original, or not bother, its very nice of you to offer the cad drawing, and I would be honoured to accept, I posses Autocad 14 and 2000, I won't go into a lot of detail, the reason for my interest in the vise is I am preparing for a move into apartment living (maybe in 4 years), I have machines at this time that allow me to prepare before hand, when they are gone I'm stuck with small machines, I already have purchased a Taig Lathe, next will be a mill, I'm just getting prepared,

                ........Edmund.........

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
                  Hello Ron,

                      I now understand your comment about the clamping system on the Kurt Vise, $750.00 for replacement unit, glad I was sitting down,

                  .......http://www.kurtworkholding.com/screw-assembly-p-762-l-en.html

                  ........Edmund.........

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
                    On 3/5/2012 7:55 PM, ED MAISEY wrote:

                    > Hello Ron,
                    >
                    > Â Â thank you for the attachments nice drawings, not having
                    > knowledge of the full size vise, I am assuming the drawing is scaled
                    > down for your specific use, did you actually incorporate the same
                    > design of nut as the original, or not bother, its very nice of you to
                    > offer the cad drawing, and I would be honoured to accept, I posses
                    > Autocad 14 and 2000, I won't go into a lot of detail, the reason for
                    > my interest in the vise is I am preparing for a move into apartment
                    > living (maybe in 4 years), I have machines at this time that allow me
                    > to prepare before hand, when they are gone I'm stuck with small
                    > machines, I already have purchased a Taig Lathe, next will be a mill,
                    > I'm just getting prepared,

                    http://www.plansandprojects.com/images/Vise/Kurt1.dwg
                    I am not sure of the age of this dwg. If you can't open it, I will save
                    it as an older version.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
                      Ron, that's excellent, thank you, I will keep you posted on developments,