What do you think is the best Hp for Taig lathe

  • bobpickering@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
        This is America -- more is better...
        Honestly, 1/2 hp is plenty for most of what I do.
        I use the Penn States Industries variable speed conversion.
        The best part is saying "goodbye" to those terrible tiny Vee belts.
        I use XL toothed belts.  A bit noisier, but I have never sworn at em.

        ________________________________
          I do not mind those tiny Vee belts, if something happens or I want to take a too heavy cut it slips.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
            Tiny belts eliminate stress elsewhere,

            ........Edmund.........

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
              Guessing the subject line is the message, I'll say 1/10 is far too wimpy
              for anything although Taig sold the lathe that way at one time.

              I have a 1/2 HP, it's plenty, probably more than plenty for this size
              lathe. I've got a nice 1/5 HP Boston motor with controller I want to
              try out on one of the Taigs, just haven't gotten around to it.

              Take care,
              Stan

            • Dean
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2012
                A 1/4 horsepower motor will be all that's needed for any job that will fit on the Taig lathe. More doesn't hurt, but adds nothing to the capability of the lathe.

                As far as the little V belts go, they will transmit as much power as the lathe can use. If the pulleys on the lathe and motor are lined up as they should be, those little belts last for ages. I have an honest 3500 hours on my lathe (at least!) and am only on my second belt.

                Dean
              • taig@ste-marie.org
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2012
                  <b>Sent:</b> Sat, Mar 3, 2012 10:31 PM
                  <b>To:</b> taigtools@yahoogroups.com
                  <b>CC:</b>
                  <b>Subject:</b> [taigtools] Re: What do you think is the best Hp for Taig lathe