Re: [taigtools] Re: hard to retrofit taig lathe for CNC? To powerfeed or not powerfeed

  • Lester Caine
    Message 1 of 53 , Feb 3, 2012
      alighazizadeh wrote:
      > If you are talking about the little Taig, I would try and get the the lead screw for the Y axis of the Taig mill, here in the UK it cost about £50.00 which is expensive but at least it is 1/2"- 20
      > so is in keeping with the rest of the taig stuff and this one from the UK supplier comes with Taig nut and two correct bearings, otherwise any trapezoidal lead screw will do and you have to either make the nut somehow or purchase it from somewhere. Ordinary screws also work but they would not transmit as much torque as a trapezoidal one.

      The basic Taig Lathe is a little difficult to convert to use a conventional
      leadscrew. What I'm doing myself is looking at the options to mount the
      headstock and tailstock directly onto the bed of the mill. I will probably go
      with the simple dovetail plate and add a bar machined to fit the bed T slot to
      provide the best alignment of all the components. Then mount the tool on the
      mill head and work back to front :)

      The only problem is the motor :( I need something a little smaller if it is all
      hanging off the back of the bed, so a suitable DC motor would be the best
      approach. I'm open to suggestions for a UK source as the options I've
      investigated so far have either been recommended against, or are silly money.

      The other conversion approach that I have seen is a separate leadscrew driven
      linear table in front of the basic Taig lathe which essentially replaces the
      saddle, just using original saddle base to help alignment. I've not actually got
      a basic Lathe myself so I've not played with that idea at all yet, but I do have
      spare mill leadscrews and other parts in stock which might make that attractive.
      I also have an alternative leadscrew, but the backlash nut is a little big which
      pushes everything away from the bed.

      --
      Lester Caine - G8HFL
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 5, 2012
        Hi,
        The side lead screw is the best that you can do with the little taig as the base is filled with concrete. Many larger lathes also have this on the side without any apparent problems.

        Regards,

        A.G