Re: [taigtools] Simple backlash eliminator?

  • ED MAISEY
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
      Paul,

         is it possible the slack is not in your nut at all

      ........Edmund.........

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
        On 1/9/2012 6:25 PM, ED MAISEY allegedly wrote:
        > is it possible the slack is not in your nut at all

        I.e. the thrust bearing on the crank? Probably so. A similar trick
        could work there. It's only 3-4 mils, so I haven't pursued it. I've
        got a Phase II x-y table on my drill press that has a lot more play, and
        is probably a better candidate. Unfortunately, it has Acme lead screws,
        and Acme taps aren't cheap.

        Seemed like the bar idea was a simple enough trick that if it actually
        worked, there'd be a dozen web pages explaining it.
      • Steve Wan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
          Hi Paul

          Backlash brass nut can be cut using Sherline hand turn screw threading.
          I did my Acme thread cut of 8 tpi of dia 14mm successfully.

          One needs to grind the correct boring shape of Acme using thread template.

          Steve-S'pore

          On 1/10/12, Paul J. Ste. Marie <taig@...> wrote:
          > On 1/9/2012 6:25 PM, ED MAISEY allegedly wrote:
          >> is it possible the slack is not in your nut at all
          >
          > I.e. the thrust bearing on the crank? Probably so. A similar trick
          > could work there. It's only 3-4 mils, so I haven't pursued it. I've
          > got a Phase II x-y table on my drill press that has a lot more play, and
          > is probably a better candidate. Unfortunately, it has Acme lead screws,
          > and Acme taps aren't cheap.
          >
          > Seemed like the bar idea was a simple enough trick that if it actually
          > worked, there'd be a dozen web pages explaining it.

        • a_b_aldus
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2012
            Paul,

            You could have ACME tap for plastic for almost nothing
            if you could find this ACME size all-thread - turn taper,
            mill slots, grind - it would work well for few times in
            such easy material as plastic.

            Arcady