Re: [taigtools] How hot is too hot?

  • Clint
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2011
      Do you have a link to the motor that you are using (that has a picture and the specs)? I have the standard Taig Marathon AC 110VAC motor and is does not get hot when running under no load. If possible, you might want to measure the AC current draw under no load and see how that compares with the specs for the motor.

      Regards,
      Clint

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
        I've uploaded a picture of the motor and a shot of the spec. plate.

        The motor is the 6MY type - http://www.elvem.it/pdf/monofase.pdf

        By the sounds of it there's nothing to worry about, the motor hit 75 degrees C (167F) in use last night but this appears to be within the permissible range.

        Thanks for all of your responses,
        Paul
      • Lester Caine
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
          lumsdenpau wrote:
          > I've uploaded a picture of the motor and a shot of the spec. plate.

          > The motor is the 6MY type -http://www.elvem.it/pdf/monofase.pdf
          >
          > By the sounds of it there's nothing to worry about, the motor hit 75 degrees C (167F) in use last night but this appears to be within the permissible range.
          >
          > Thanks for all of your responses,

          Paul
          While it is not a problem, adding an extra cooling fan would not hurt. You are
          lucky you got a 230V motor. The recent shipments have been 110V with a
          transformer :(
          I'm currently investigating an alternative to my own Variable Speed motor
          http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=VariableSpeedSpindle using one of the
          Chinese DC motor options. I need something lighter to complete the installation
          of the lathe on the bed of my mill ...

          --
          Lester Caine - G8HFL