Re: [taigtools] Re: Boring Head tutorial

  • Dave Shiels
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
      I will add an old tool maker trick as well. A regrind 2 flute end mills will rough the hole nicely and be very close to your final size while keeping every thing straight and perpendicular. With only a few thousandths left to remove, a reamer will work fine in a good square drill press to size the hole. I kept a set of known sizes stashed when I was in the business.

      If a tight press is needed start at least 0.001 under then move up 0.0005 if to tight.

    • Shane Adams
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
        Thanks Dave -

        What size of end mill would you start with here?

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
          Something 0.010 under should be fine if the spindle runout is low.
          In a full heavy mill with nice spindle I went 0.005.

          The reamer only has to do sizing work which is what it is intended to do anyway.

        • Lewis Hein
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
            When I got my boring head, It never really worked properly until I sharpened
            the bars that came with it. Any diamond whetstone should do this just fine.

            Lewis Hein
            Pens, plans and projects online at www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 7, 2011
              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Shane Adams <adamsch1@...> wrote:

              > PS - how do you all lock the gibs?

              Shane, on the front of the X table you will see a socket head cap screw right in the middle of that table. Tighten it to lock the X table.

              Under the left side of the Y carriage, on the bottom, is a similar screw. Tighten that to lock the Y movement.

              The lock for the Z travel is on the right side of the mill headstock saddle.

              Dean
            • Lee
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 10, 2011
                I also had a bad experience with the Taig boring tool. I just figured it was my own ignorance that pretty much destroyed this tool. After using a 2" boring tool on my X3 lathe with much success, I was pretty much humbled with this experience!!

                So I'll be reading the posts in regards to this tool with great interest til I can afford to purchase another tool.

                Thanks,

                Lee