RE: [taigtools] Manual CNC w/ handwheels?

  • Alex Wetmore
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
      I don't use my Taig manually, but I do have a manual mill that gets a lot of use.

      One of the biggest benefits of the manual mill is that I can feel feedback from the machine and cutter through the controls. This is very helpful for me when working with material that has voids in it (tubing or extrusions) or with materials and cutters where I don't offhand know the ideal cutter speed.

      It is also handy for stuff that won't fit into my Taig CNC's enclosure. Yesterday I drilled 8 holes into a 3x3" 8020 extrusion that was 24" long. That won't fit on my Taig, and it was faster to do on the manual machine because I could quickly move the bit through the voids in the extrusion. I could program it to move faster on a CNC, but for a one time operation that would have taken longer (and been less fun, since I also stare at code all day at work).

      So I find that a good manual machine is a nice thing to have alongside your CNC. I don't think I'd want to have my CNC modified for manual use though, since that wouldn't work with my enclosure.

      alex
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
        One of the problems with handwheels, is that the controller hasd to be turned off to get the wheels to turn.

        I use a lot of Taig parts on my homebrew mill/lathe.  I have made a fair amount of design changes along the way, but in my first design, the handwheels were 60 tooth and 72 tooth XL timing belt pulleys.  They were drilled to accept nice handles I got from Grizzly.  Grizzly makes dozens of great handwheels.  My machine uses toothed belts to get higher accuracy, and the large secondary pulleys gave me that resolution.

        ________________________________
        Thanks for the discussion everyone.  I'm still wondering if anybody actually
        does it.  All of these small mills advertise it as a capability; I imagine
        someone does it regularly.

        I'll probably make up a set of handwheels and try them out.  I have a small
        red Sherline knob from my 4th axis tailstock, and I've thrown it on to try
        it before.  It's too small and painful to use, so I'd surly make mine
        bigger.

        Like all of you, I use MDI and quick scripting to cover most of my "manual"
        needs.  By now I have a good assortment of generic library scripts.  I've
        even cheated before and turned down my max velocity to the desired feed rate
        and used the keyboard directly.  Given all that, I still think a completely
        manual setup has its place for me.  The artist in me likes to think with his
        hands.

        I tend to think about this more when reading through amazing projects like
        those on Dean Williams pages.  I would like to make a boring head similar to
        his example, but I've been putting it off (partly) because I don't care to
        write a bunch of tedious little scripts.  I look at code all day at work :(

        Ultimately I'd like to build a nice encoder jog wheel for each axis.

        Thanks again,
        Jake

        On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Douglas Vogt <dbvogt@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > The drawback with handles is they may get in the way. I have smaller Radio
        > Shack knobs on my motors and rarely use them. The options, as you suggest
        > - remove the handles or shut off the controller - are both a bit of a pain.
        > Once when milling a piece out of brass plate, I found it was a bit bowed
        > upward and so used the Z knob to lower the spindle slightly to cut the piece
        > out fully. The only drawback is that it's tough to turn the knobs while
        > you're in CNC mode. I've never used a manual mill so find jogging under
        > power faster. Interesting though, like insurance, I feel more secure with
        > the ability to use the axes manually. For something quick and dirty, handles
        > may be faster.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ron Thompson
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
          On 9/14/2011 6:05 PM, Will Schmit wrote:
          > One of the problems with handwheels, is that the controller hasd to be
          > turned off to get the wheels to turn.
          >
          > I use a lot of Taig parts on my homebrew mill/lathe. I have made a
          > fair amount of design changes along the way, but in my first design,
          > the handwheels were 60 tooth and 72 tooth XL timing belt pulleys.
          > They were drilled to accept nice handles I got from Grizzly. Grizzly
          > makes dozens of great handwheels. My machine uses toothed belts to
          > get higher accuracy, and the large secondary pulleys gave me that
          > resolution.
          Got any photos or a web page on it?

          --

          Ron Thompson

          There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
          1. This is what I have done...
          2. This is what I think...
          Be aware of the difference!

          http://www.ourcadguy.com/