Re: [taigtools] Re: Need advice buying the right motor for a new Taig lathe

  • chuck
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2011
      I use http://www.cartertools.com/ very nice to deal with and I believe Nick will match other dealers prices.
      check it out.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: markjn@...
      To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:50 PM
      Subject: [taigtools] Re: Need advice buying the right motor for a new Taig lathe

      Thank you very much for your reply.
      I just found Discountcampus.com has the Taig lathes for very attractive prices - e.x. $136 assembled basic kit. Are they a reputable store? I don't seen to be able to add anything to the cart to check shipping costs.

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "chuck" <chuckels@...> wrote:

      > yes it will work on us 115v mains power.
      > I would mount it on a pivot for easy belt and speed changes.
      > its an open drip proof frame so I would cover it to keep debris out.

      ...> Thanks for any and all advice!

    • markjn@att.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 2011
        I do plan to get the lathe from CarterTools.com. His site has so much information to support buyers and all Taig owners that I think he desrves the sale. It looks like Discountcampus may no longer be functioning or carrying Taig anyway since I can't get anything to add to the cart to check shipping. The information and support from CarterTools is worth the extra cost (if any with shipping) to get it from Nick.

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "chuck" <chuckels@...> wrote:

        > I use http://www.cartertools.com/ very nice to deal with and I believe Nick will match other dealers prices.
        > check it out.

      • Ron Thompson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 14, 2011
          On 7/14/2011 4:28 PM, markjn@... wrote:

          > I do plan to get the lathe from CarterTools.com. His site has so much
          > information to support buyers and all Taig owners that I think he
          > desrves the sale. It looks like Discountcampus may no longer be
          > functioning or carrying Taig anyway since I can't get anything to add
          > to the cart to check shipping. The information and support from
          > CarterTools is worth the extra cost (if any with shipping) to get it
          > from Nick.

          It's better than that. Nick will answer any questions in a timely manner
          and usually gives a 10% discount.

          Make sure of what you are buying as a lot of lathe stuff is ala carte. I
          bought the lathe and very quickly added a second order for the things I
          forgot to order.

          --

          Ron Thompson

          There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
          1. This is what I have done...
          2. This is what I think...
          Be aware of the difference!

          http://www.ourcadguy.com/

          Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 14, 2011
            Chuck is right.
            Buying Taig stuff from anyone other than Nick doesn't make much sense.

            Of course, there are those with odd geographic constraints -- pity...