Re: [taigtools] Re: Chucks on the Taig lathe

  • Bad Brad
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      Ken,

      The Sherline chucks are a good choice. The problem with using Sherline
      chucks on your Taig is the way the spindle is threaded. The threads are the
      same but... The Taig spindle is longer and is not under-cut. A spacer can be
      made to solve this small problem. I have the self-centering four jaw
      Sherline chuck and a spacer for my Taig lathe. I made my spacer by threading
      the Sherline chuck on the Taig spindle far enough so that the spindle
      doesn't interfer with the movement of the jaws. I then measure the space
      behind the chuck and the spindle face. this will be the width the spacer
      should be. When making the spacer be sure to take cuts on the front and back
      faces before parting off (to assure squareness).

      Big Chips!
      Forrest