Re: Cut Knurling?

  • n2562001
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2011
      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis hein" <lhein@...> wrote:

      > Hi All
      >
      > Recently, I've been making some things where it would be really nice to be able to put knurling on them. I know that regular pressure knurls canot be used on a small lathe without a scissor style knurler, but can cut knurls be used in a bump style holder on a small lathe like the taig? Also what is the difference between a cut knurl and a pressure knurl that makes a cut knurl cut?
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > Lewis Hein

      Lewis
      The first thing to consider when working on small 4" machines such as Taig ,Sherline, Cowells etc is the size of the machine your working on. Large jobs are for large machines and small jobs are for small machines. For the 4" size machines, it will generally be more practical to limit knurl TPI to about 40-50 and up.

      Personally, I never use scissor type knurling on small lathes. My personal preference
      is a single knurl on the end of a holder held in the tool post. I will attach a photo of examples under my name in the photo section. I prefer this method because it is far more flexible and efficient than a scissors type holder. It allows me to easily produce anything from a dotted line to a curved surface knurl to a full length knurl by simply setting various knurl angles per knurl.
      The key to knurling in this manner (Or any other manner) is the quality of the knurl.
      If you purchase cheap China/India knurls from places like Harbor Freight, LMS or where ever, little good will happen in comparison to a quality knurl.
      I would suggest that the knurl be USA made or high quality European.
      The use of quality tooling must be experienced to be understood. Unfortunately, many Hobbyist now have a shop full of Chinese tools with no quality standard to compare to.

      Jerry Kieffer
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2011
        There is also a set on Nick Carter's site. Neil Savage
        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Mike Nicewonger <twmaster@...> wrote:

        > On Mar 31, 2011, at 11:44 AM, pe3hmp wrote:
        >
        > > Any plans how to make a good scissor type knurling tool(with two wheels) is welcome
        >
        > There is a set for download on the LMS web site.
        >
        > --
        > Mike N

      • Lewis hein
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 1, 2011
          Imported junk? Not in my shop! Is there a way to regrind a straight forming
          knurl to make it into a cut knurl? I can't seem to find imperial sized cut
          knurls.

          Thanks

          Lewis Hein
          >> Recently, I've been making some things where it would be really nice to
          >> be able to put knurling on them. I know that regular pressure knurls
          >> canot be used on a small lathe without a scissor style knurler, but can
          >> cut knurls be used in a bump style holder on a small lathe like the taig?
          >> Also what is the difference between a cut knurl and a pressure knurl that
          >> makes a cut knurl cut?
          >>
          >> thanks
          >>
          >> Lewis Hein

          > Lewis
          > The first thing to consider when working on small 4" machines
          > such as Taig ,Sherline, Cowells etc is the size of the machine your
          > working on. Large jobs are for large machines and small jobs are for
          > small machines. For the 4" size machines, it will generally be more
          > practical to limit knurl TPI to about 40-50 and up.
          >
          > Personally, I never use scissor type knurling on small lathes. My
          > personal preference
          > is a single knurl on the end of a holder held in the tool post. I
          > will attach a photo of examples under my name in the photo section.
          > I prefer this method because it is far more flexible and efficient than a
          > scissors type holder. It allows me to easily produce anything from a
          > dotted line to a curved surface knurl to a full length knurl by simply
          > setting various knurl angles per knurl.
          > The key to knurling in this manner (Or any other manner) is the
          > quality of the knurl.
          > If you purchase cheap China/India knurls from places like Harbor Freight,
          > LMS or where ever, little good will happen in comparison to a quality
          > knurl.
          > I would suggest that the knurl be USA made or high quality European.
          > The use of quality tooling must be experienced to be understood.
          > Unfortunately, many Hobbyist now have a shop full of Chinese tools with no
          > quality standard to compare to.
          >
          > Jerry Kieffer

        • Steve Blackmore
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
            On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:59:32 -0600, you wrote:

            >Imported junk? Not in my shop! Is there a way to regrind a straight forming
            >knurl to make it into a cut knurl? I can't seem to find imperial sized cut
            >knurls.

            What do you mean by imperial sized? Pitch or Dimensions?

            Try MSC direct or do a search on Google for Knurling tool suppliers,
            there's thousands of them...

            Steve Blackmore
            --
          • Lewis hein
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
              >What do you mean by imperial sized? Pitch or >Dimensions?

              Both. The only cut knurls I can find are a metric pitch,which might be OK
              But they are also metric dimensions so if I am going to make a knurler that
              will add complications.

              Lewis Hein
              > On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:59:32 -0600, you wrote:
              >
              >>Imported junk? Not in my shop! Is there a way to regrind a straight
              >>forming
              >>knurl to make it into a cut knurl? I can't seem to find imperial sized cut
              >>knurls.
              >
              > What do you mean by imperial sized? Pitch or Dimensions?
              >
              > Try MSC direct or do a search on Google for Knurling tool suppliers,
              > there's thousands of them...
              >
              > Steve Blackmore

            • Michael Fagan
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
                I believe they are/were patented, and the only company that I know of only
                works in metric (European based).

                On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 10:31, Lewis hein <lhein@...> wrote:

                > >What do you mean by imperial sized? Pitch or >Dimensions?
                >
                > Both. The only cut knurls I can find are a metric pitch,which might be OK
                > But they are also metric dimensions so if I am going to make a knurler that
                >
                > will add complications.
                >
                > Lewis Hein

              • Steve Blackmore
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
                  On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 08:31:16 -0600, you wrote:

                  >>What do you mean by imperial sized? Pitch or >Dimensions?
                  >
                  >Both. The only cut knurls I can find are a metric pitch,which might be OK
                  >But they are also metric dimensions so if I am going to make a knurler that
                  >will add complications.

                  MSC have 11/32, 9/16 and 27/32 inch diameter cut knurls...

                  Steve Blackmore
                  --
                • J. mendoza
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
                    I will add that it isn't limited to just hobbyists. Most Americans don't
                    understand the damage economically done to this country. Most people have argued
                    me," Everything is made in CHina." When I know for a fact it's untrue. This
                    makes me think of people following in a herd all going straight over the cliff.
                    It's a deteriation of American values.

                    JM

                    ________________________________
                    > Recently, I've been making some things where it would be really nice to be able
                    >to put knurling on them. I know that regular pressure knurls canot be used on a
                    >small lathe without a scissor style knurler, but can cut knurls be used in a
                    >bump style holder on a small lathe like the taig? Also what is the difference
                    >between a cut knurl and a pressure knurl that makes a cut knurl cut?
                    >
                    > thanks
                    >
                    > Lewis Hein

                    Lewis
                    The first thing to consider when working on small 4" machines such as Taig
                    ,Sherline, Cowells etc is the size of the machine your working on. Large
                    jobs are for large machines and small jobs are for small machines. For the
                    4" size machines, it will generally be more practical to limit knurl TPI to
                    about 40-50 and up.

                    Personally, I never use scissor type knurling on small lathes. My personal
                    preference

                    is a single knurl on the end of a holder held in the tool post. I will
                    attach a photo of examples under my name in the photo section. I prefer
                    this method because it is far more flexible and efficient than a scissors type
                    holder. It allows me to easily produce anything from a dotted line to a
                    curved surface knurl to a full length knurl by simply setting various knurl
                    angles per knurl.
                    The key to knurling in this manner (Or any other manner) is the quality of the
                    knurl.
                    If you purchase cheap China/India knurls from places like Harbor Freight, LMS or
                    where ever, little good will happen in comparison to a quality knurl.
                    I would suggest that the knurl be USA made or high quality European.
                    The use of quality tooling must be experienced to be understood.
                    Unfortunately, many Hobbyist now have a shop full of Chinese tools with no
                    quality standard to compare to.

                    Jerry Kieffer

                  • Bill Marvel
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                      Huh?

                      When we have difficulty separating our hobbies and toys from our politics or
                      religion, we need to step back and take a deep breath!

                      Many fine discussion groups have fallen into "deteriation" (sic) when a few lose
                      sight of the international participation in this brotherhood of metal carvers.

                      Bill

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                        Of course we still make things in this country.
                        Mostly mines, guns, mortars and bombs. We sell them to people that don't like
                        us (which is virtually everyone).

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                          Just a reminder to avoid politics on this group, please.

                          --
                          felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein.
                          Learn more about us at http://www.nickandfelice.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                            There is only one I want to see, You all pay and i receive

                            Mark

                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
                              somehow the smiley dissapeared

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                                Hmmm. I'll have to look into that. However, I could probably save a few
                                dollars by regrinding a straight form knurl to make it cut so if anyone
                                knows if that is possible I would appreciate some details.

                                Thanks

                                Lewis