Re: Taig Mill: Sherline Variable Speed Motor

  • althirteen@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
      Hi

      Sorry for the delay, have been having internet problems and I've caught some kind of flu or something, so it has been hard getting on the computer.

      Since I not sure what I won't be putting on the Lathe (all kinds of projects in mind, and my primary goal is to learn machining, not just build something specific)

      So I was working off of this comment by Dean on the other Taig Forum
      (http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html)
      "Regarding the motor speed, it depends on what you plan on machining. The high speed motor Taig sells is great for very small end mills. If you had to run a 1/2" end mill through hot rolled steel, I frankly wouldn't want to be stuck with that motor. The minimum 1000 rpm on a 1/2" end mill will have sparks flying if it's used in steel. Just too fast.
      Honestly, I don't know what situation you would actually need 10,000 rpm on a milling machine, unless all you do is plastics, PCBs, and use tiny end mills. I use end mills down to 1/32" dia, and the standard motor has never let me down. 5,000 rpm is enough."

      Since I'm new to using a Milling machine I don't want go too fast and burn out my End Mills unnecessarily.
      Will I be needing that High-Speed Motor when I convert to CNC?
      If so Maybe I'll get the Mill with no changes and keep it at the lowest speed for the most part.

    • althirteen@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
        Hi

        Sorry for the delay, have been having internet problems and I've caught some kind of flu or something, so it has been hard getting on the computer.

        Well that's great to have that confirmed, I will have to bore out the spindle to retain the Taig headstock.
        I'm not sure if I'm ready to do that quite yet, but now I have a better idea what is necessary.
        So now I have to figure out if I'm going with the stock high-speed motor, or try to downgrade to the Non CNC ready Manual Mills Motor

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Adam Collins <rxforspeed@...> wrote:

        > Sherline's #33080 is a complete ER16 spindle, DC motor, and speed control but is a bit pricey at $360 + s&h. You'd also need to get (or make) an adapter plate and pivot pin for mounting it to the Taig Z column-A2Z CNC sells the plate and pin for $35. Cheaper options exist, but I've been satisfied with the performance of my Sherline lathe and ordered the above listed parts last week. When the Sherline #33080 arrives Tuesday, I'll have one each of both Sherline's and Taig's 3/4-16 and ER16 headstock assemblies. Boring the Sherline spindle pulley from 9/16" to 5/8" would probably be your best bet to retain the Taig headstock if you went with the Sherline motor & speed controller.
        >
        > Hope this helps...
        >
        > Adam
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone

      • Ron Thompson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
          On 3/8/2011 6:11 PM, althirteen@... wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Sorry for the delay, have been having internet problems and I've
          > caught some kind of flu or something, so it has been hard getting on
          > the computer.
          >
          > Since I not sure what I won't be putting on the Lathe (all kinds of
          > projects in mind, and my primary goal is to learn machining, not just
          > build something specific)
          >
          > So I was working off of this comment by Dean on the other Taig Forum
          > (http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html)
          > "Regarding the motor speed, it depends on what you plan on machining.
          > The high speed motor Taig sells is great for very small end mills. If
          > you had to run a 1/2" end mill through hot rolled steel, I frankly
          > wouldn't want to be stuck with that motor. The minimum 1000 rpm on a
          > 1/2" end mill will have sparks flying if it's used in steel. Just too
          > fast.
          > Honestly, I don't know what situation you would actually need 10,000
          > rpm on a milling machine, unless all you do is plastics, PCBs, and use
          > tiny end mills. I use end mills down to 1/32" dia, and the standard
          > motor has never let me down. 5,000 rpm is enough."
          >
          > Since I'm new to using a Milling machine I don't want go too fast and
          > burn out my End Mills unnecessarily.
          > Will I be needing that High-Speed Motor when I convert to CNC?
          > If so Maybe I'll get the Mill with no changes and keep it at the
          > lowest speed for the most part.

          This mill is not designed for 1/2" end mills. If you insist on running
          them you will likely run into tramming problems. When overloaded, the
          column will slip.
          The higher speeds are for small end mills and advanced tooling, like
          carbide.
          Most people who have the smaller motor yearn for the larger, at least
          according to group posts.
          I bought the CNC ready package with the larger motor. It is continuous
          duty, so if you are running a 14 hour program, no worries.
          Everyone has different uses for the machine. I am happy I got the big motor.

          --

          Ron Thompson

          There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
          1. This is what I have done...
          2. This is what I think...
          Be aware of the difference!

          http://www.ourcadguy.com/

          Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

        • Mike Nicewonger
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
            On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 18:50 -0500, Ron Thompson wrote:

            > Most people who have the smaller motor yearn for the larger, at least
            > according to group posts.

            Am I the only person happy with the little gray stock motor?

            --
            Mike N
          • pe3hmp
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
              I use a 240Watt motor out of an electric wheelchair, and do not need a bigger one.

              Mark