Re: [taigtools] Re: buying Micro Lathe II

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
      I got out there and measured it -- it is 14.99mm

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
        I love it.
        I had to tweek the pots inside the box to get the low speeds that I was looking
        for.
        I use toothed belts -- toothed belts don't run as quietly as the taig belt.
        I never liked how the taig belt slipped, and when it got tight enough to not
        slip, it wanted to deform.

        The swap requires a few custom stuff, but nothing that was difficult.
        Are you considering it on a lathe or mill? I have mused about making a spindle
        with the Penn as the motor, but so far, I haven't really taken it too seriously,
        because the ER16 can't take the speeds I need to use. I have thought of
        replacing the bearings with ceramic, but I'm not ready for that project right
        now.

        ________________________________
        From: Will Schmit <anchornm@...>
        To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, March 7, 2011, 7:14 PM

        Don't know -- I had to use a boring bar to enlarge the toothed belt pulley.

        Can't run out to the shop -- we have a pretty bad wind storm out there.

        Its a sure thing, that you will need to modify the pulley -- I think there is a

        link on Nick Carter's site about how to drill and ream a Taig pulley. As I

        recall, you have to sacrifice the smallest groove.

        I turned some 360 brass this weekend at a pretty slow speed (and high speed

        tooling), I forgot how wonderfully the combination of great material, good

        tooling and good speed team up to be.

        Most of the time I use my Taig Lathe as a 4th axis, so turning is a rare thing.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
          Todd is probably right, I didn't take off my pulley, and had forgotten if it
          stepped down.

          ________________________________
          It's 15 mm wher it is coming out of the motor, then it steps down to 14 MM

          > I never (for one second) liked that tiny belt.
          > I replaced my drive train with XL toothed belts.
          > I use a Penn States variable speed motor.
          > The toothed belts allow me to use the lathe as a 4th axis (accurate to 1/100th

          > degree)
          >

          > _______

          Could you please tell me the shaft diameter of the Penn-State motor? I can't
          find that info on the web site.

          Thanks

        • Pete & Pam Boorum
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
            The PSI motor has a shaft diameter of 14mm. I have used it on four
            machines so far with excellent results. You will lose one groove
            when you bore the pulley which is not a problem. Someone posted on
            this list how to slow down the motor in the controller box but I
            don't remember who or how!

            Pete
            --
            Pam & Pete Boorum, Smaller Than Life
            IGMA Artisans
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8, 2011
              On 3/8/2011 6:39 PM, Pete & Pam Boorum wrote:

              > The PSI motor has a shaft diameter of 14mm. I have used it on four
              > machines so far with excellent results. You will lose one groove
              > when you bore the pulley which is not a problem. Someone posted on
              > this list how to slow down the motor in the controller box but I
              > don't remember who or how!
              >
              > Pete

              Regarding loosing the smallest pulley, why bore it all the way through?
              If you bore part way and let the pulley stay out a little farther I
              think you'd be all right. If that is a problem, you could always shorten
              the shaft.

              --

              Ron Thompson

              There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
              1. This is what I have done...
              2. This is what I think...
              Be aware of the difference!

              http://www.ourcadguy.com/