Re: [taigtools] 1/16 shank diameter mills

  • Keith Bucklitch
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
      Mitchell.

      Ebay lists several 1/16" carbide end mills. Some from the States,
      others from China. You pay your money and take your
      choice.
      http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=1%2F16+carbide+end&LH_AvailTo=3&_arm=1&_armm=63&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D1%252F16%2Bcarbide%2Bend%26_arr%3D1&_rdc=1
      I have purchased carbide cutters as small as 1mm diameter from these
      suppliers with no problems, other than a tendency to break them too
      quickly. :-(

      I assume it is the cutter diameter you are concerned with, not the
      shank diameter per se. These small cutters do come in a variety of
      shank diameters. Some time ago, I purchased a bundle of blank arbors
      for the Taig spindle. I bored these out to take my most commonly
      used cutters - 1/4", 3/16" and 1/8" plus some metric diameters - 4mm,
      6mm etc. A hole was drilled and tapped for a securing screw on the
      side. When I started using the very small carbide cutters, I had
      no spare arbors. However it was a simple job to mount a piece of
      1/4" diameter rod in one of the arbors and drill it out to suit the
      shank of the cutter I wanted. The cutters were then inserted and
      secured with some Loctite adhesive.

      When a cutter breaks ( Note, I say 'when' not 'if'. :-) ) the
      adhesive joint can be broken by heating the holder and the broken
      cutter removed. By making the holder whilst held in the arbor, you
      should end up with an accurately drilled holder that eliminates any
      wobble of the cutter.

      Keith

      At 19:53 31/01/2011, you wrote:
      >Are carbide end mills with .0625 shank diameter available? If so,
      >who vends them?
      >mitchell_a10

      >Let the chips fly!
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Keith Bucklitch
      Little North Worcestershire Railway
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
        Keith,
        One of the reasons you may be breaking bits could be runout.
        Hey, I know that a taig lathe (or mill for that matter) is a precision device,
        but boring arbors or boring a reference pin is VERY hard to do accurately. By
        accurately, I mean properly centered to within .0005". Any less than that is
        not close enough for tiny mills.
        Just buy the 1/8" shanks, and use the correct collet. You will be WAY closer
        than using some home-made answer.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 2, 2011
          At 22:39 01/02/2011, you wrote:
          >Keith,
          >One of the reasons you may be breaking bits could be runout.
          >Hey, I know that a taig lathe (or mill for that matter) is a
          >precision device,
          >but boring arbors or boring a reference pin is VERY hard to do
          >accurately. By
          >accurately, I mean properly centered to within .0005". Any less than that is
          >not close enough for tiny mills.
          >Just buy the 1/8" shanks, and use the correct collet.#

          The problem with using a Collet is that one loses the preset tool
          heights provided by my holders. It then becomes almost impossible to
          program in a tool change. As far as I can detect, there is no
          measurable run out on my cutters.

          Keith.

        • gebrown9055
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2011
            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Keith Bucklitch <keith.bucklitch@...> wrote:
            > The problem with using a Collet is that one loses the preset tool
            > heights provided by my holders. It then becomes almost impossible to
            > program in a tool change. As far as I can detect, there is no
            > measurable run out on my cutters.
            >
            > Keith.
            >
            > >________________________________

            Keith,

            Do the mills with depth collars like these:

            http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/EndMillsHome.htm

            Help with the preset tool heights?

            Just wondering.

            Gary
          • greg.mcfadden
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2011
              be warned that tool height setting in that method can induce runout in ER
              style collets . I had a long discussion about that with the folks at
              rego-fix when I was looking at using an ER-32 collet as an alignment feature
              between some parts at work. In the end we went with features like that but
              it did introduce up to ~0.003 inches of runout in the parts compared to
              where they seated without the stop.

              -Greg

              On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:12 AM, gebrown9055 <Gary@...>wrote:

              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>, Keith
              > Bucklitch <keith.bucklitch@...> wrote:
              > > The problem with using a Collet is that one loses the preset tool
              > > heights provided by my holders. It then becomes almost impossible to
              > > program in a tool change. As far as I can detect, there is no
              > > measurable run out on my cutters.
              > >
              > > Keith.
              > >
              > > >________________________________
              >
              > Keith,
              >
              > Do the mills with depth collars like these:
              >
              > http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/EndMillsHome.htm
              >
              > Help with the preset tool heights?
              >
              > Just wondering.
              >
              > Gary

            • gebrown9055
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2011

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2011
                  Thanks, Gary. I will have to keep an eye out for those. I have seen
                  these small cutters with depthing rings on at the model engineering
                  shows, but never considered them for my purposes before.

                  Keith

                  At 17:12 03/02/2011, you wrote:

                  >Do the mills with depth collars like these:
                  >
                  >http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/EndMillsHome.htm
                  >
                  >Help with the preset tool heights?
                  >
                  >Just wondering.
                  >
                  >Gary

                  >Let the chips fly!
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Keith Bucklitch
                  Little North Worcestershire Railway
                • Steve Blackmore
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 3, 2011
                    On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:20:22 -0800, you wrote:

                    >be warned that tool height setting in that method can induce runout in ER
                    >style collets . I had a long discussion about that with the folks at
                    >rego-fix when I was looking at using an ER-32 collet as an alignment feature
                    >between some parts at work. In the end we went with features like that but
                    >it did introduce up to ~0.003 inches of runout in the parts compared to
                    >where they seated without the stop.

                    Hi Greg - that's odd?

                    Those type of end mills with collars are used in commercial PCB milling
                    machines with collets. I've use them with ER16 collets and have no more
                    measurable run out than without. TIR here is less than 0.0005 on a high
                    speed spindle with ER16 collets. (I can't measure any less than that
                    accurately)

                    Steve Blackmore