Re: [taigtools] Re: Make gears

  • Steve Blackmore
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
      On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 20:24:47 -0700, you wrote:

      >I would get some more information on this program/site before you download
      >from it. Norton puked all over the current version.

      Simple answer - Norton is crap.

      Steve Blackmore
      --
    • chuck
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
        Good call Steve,
        If I remember correctly you were also a prime driving force behind Mach 3
        along with Brian and Art.
        Love the prg. Thanks,
        Chuck Smalfus

        On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 20:24:47 -0700, you wrote:

        >I would get some more information on this program/site before you download
        >from it. Norton puked all over the current version.

        Simple answer - Norton is crap.

        Steve Blackmore

      • Stan Stocker
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
          Hi Reid,

          A google on flycutter fear cutting will get you tons of hits, in the
          clock trade we've been doing this for several hundred years :-)

          Here are a few hits to get you started, one is from Dean, who is also on
          this list.

          As for the posts floating around about Norton puking on Gearotic, don't
          be bothered, years ago when doing quite secure work we determined that
          Norton basically is puke. Lots of false hits, too many misses of real
          stuff.

          http://www.andyn.dsl.pipex.com/gear_cutting.htm

          http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/gearcutting/gearcutting.html

          Have fun!
          Stan

          On 11/05/2010 04:06 PM, rsimonus wrote:
          > I would like to make some gears but not know where to start. I was thinking to get a blank arbor and cut a slot for small HSS tool bit or drill hole for HSS drill bit to make shape for gear cutter. Has anyone done this before? I would like to see picture or website how did they do it.
          >
          > Reid
        • Don Rogers
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
            My first thoughts were that it was of Mach 3 heritage. But when Norton went
            nuts and the web site is only a few months old, I got nervous. Granted that
            Norton is a pain, I've tried several other anti virus/spyware/firewalls and
            it seems to be the least difficult of those I've tried. Now that I know the
            heritage of the program, I'll override Norton and give it a try. I've been
            using Sheetcam, Mach 3, Meshcam for several years now, (Norton never gave
            them a second look) and Gearotic looked like a great fit to the mix. I'll
            give it another try.

          • Jeff Demand
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
              Will,

              Thank you.

              The net is full of snake pits and fools
              I try to be as honest and accurate as possible,
              but do sometimes make bad mistakes.
              Some of the craters are deep enough to hide a small country :-)

              jeffD

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
                All I can say is that this program is muther beautiful.
                I made some gears out of corian that run as smooth as silk.
                It will output g-code to Mach3 or a variety of other formats.

                I am making a sculpture, which will look like 19th century scientific equipment,
                so it wouldn't be appropriate to make the gears as helicals, but I am chomping
                at the bit to try that function. My current project is African Mahogany, with
                ivory teeth (each individually held in place by brass screws).

                I output the g-code to make the gears.
                I output a dxf file to Rhino to plan all the other parts.
                So far everything fits with sub-micron precision.

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
                  On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 09:35:01 -0800, you wrote:

                  >My first thoughts were that it was of Mach 3 heritage. But when Norton went
                  >nuts and the web site is only a few months old, I got nervous. Granted that
                  >Norton is a pain, I've tried several other anti virus/spyware/firewalls and
                  >it seems to be the least difficult of those I've tried. Now that I know the
                  >heritage of the program, I'll override Norton and give it a try. I've been
                  >using Sheetcam, Mach 3, Meshcam for several years now, (Norton never gave
                  >them a second look) and Gearotic looked like a great fit to the mix. I'll
                  >give it another try.

                  Hi Don - Gearotic Motion is written by Art Fenerty (Mach3) and is
                  absolutely safe.

                  As for Norton - forget it. AVG free does a better job than that!

                  Personally these days I'm using Sophos Enterprise and have been for over
                  a year, that replaced McAfee Enterprise that let us down good style and
                  allowed an old virus in! Sophos has it's quirks, but so far it's been
                  reliable.

                  For home/small business use, AVG seems good BUT you still need something
                  else like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to cover all bases. I've yet to
                  find a 100% solution - reason - there isn't one. Mostly,
                  antivirus/malware protection is a fire fighting exercise. Some poor sod
                  has been bitten before the AV guys find a fix! The more frequent the
                  updates, the less chance that poor sod is you.

                  Steve Blackmore
                  --
                • campgems
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
                    I spent this morning removing Norton. I found that there is a neat feature (or so they think) of Norton called Sonar that even though you way you trust a program calls home for a second opinion. Being the release was new, they had no track record for it so decided to uninstall it. No way to shut it off.

                    So, I did a full Norton uninstall, then installed AVG. Then downloaded Avira at the suggestion of an off line post. Got it running and removed AVG. Then I was able to load up Gearotic Motion and had a quick look. All looks good. I'll probably buy a license in a few days.

                    On AVG, I used it for almost a year but stripped it off all three of my systems. You don't have enough control over updates and when scans run, and all of a sudden things start slowing down. Also boot is a pain with it as it does an update as soon as it starts and it usually trys before the wireless comes on line and then reports it cant find Mom. I pulled it and went back to Norton as the least unliked virus program that I tried. I'll say this, the Avira program installed smoothly and you seem to have good control over it. I'm doing a 30 day trial. We'll see how that goes.

                    Again sorry for opening the can of worms I did.

                    Don

                    > Hi Don - Gearotic Motion is written by Art Fenerty (Mach3) and is
                    > absolutely safe.
                    >
                    > As for Norton - forget it. AVG free does a better job than that!
                    >
                    > Personally these days I'm using Sophos Enterprise and have been for over
                    > a year, that replaced McAfee Enterprise that let us down good style and
                    > allowed an old virus in! Sophos has it's quirks, but so far it's been
                    > reliable.
                    >
                    > For home/small business use, AVG seems good BUT you still need something
                    > else like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to cover all bases. I've yet to
                    > find a 100% solution - reason - there isn't one. Mostly,
                    > antivirus/malware protection is a fire fighting exercise. Some poor sod
                    > has been bitten before the AV guys find a fix! The more frequent the
                    > updates, the less chance that poor sod is you.
                    >

                    > Steve Blackmore
                    > --

                  • Stan Stocker
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
                      Hi Don,

                      Yes, AVG used to be really good, went into a real PITA release doing the
                      long scans and quirky updates around 2 years ago, and is now reported to
                      have learned from market share loss and is back being OK.

                      There is a free AVIRA, but not at the Avira main site. You can get to
                      it through CNET or by googling for free avira. I use it on my Windoze
                      boxes and partitions, CLAM_AV on the linux machines. With so many
                      exploits these days being in formerly "safe" file types such as PDF
                      running linux may well make you safer as fewer exploits target it, but
                      it still is worth checking things. Even if a payload can't hurt me, it
                      could harm someone using a vulnerable system that I pass the PDF on to.
                      I haven't forgotten the first worm that spread over the net was a unix
                      exploit either :-)

                      As for a can of worms, this is nothing. Not even a blip, certainly
                      nothing to apologize over. You should see some lists when anything
                      related to virus stuff comes up, so many and contradictory posts, flames
                      from the overly smug linux folks, the microslop fanboys, and the
                      occasional Mac / SunOS/ Solaris bigot. Glad the Taig group is almost
                      always far more mellow.

                      Have fun,

                      Stan

                      On 11/07/2010 09:41 PM, campgems wrote:
                      > I spent this morning removing Norton. I found that there is a neat feature (or so they think) of Norton called Sonar that even though you way you trust a program calls home for a second opinion. Being the release was new, they had no track record for it so decided to uninstall it. No way to shut it off.
                      >
                      > So, I did a full Norton uninstall, then installed AVG. Then downloaded Avira at the suggestion of an off line post. Got it running and removed AVG. Then I was able to load up Gearotic Motion and had a quick look. All looks good. I'll probably buy a license in a few days.
                      >
                      > On AVG, I used it for almost a year but stripped it off all three of my systems. You don't have enough control over updates and when scans run, and all of a sudden things start slowing down. Also boot is a pain with it as it does an update as soon as it starts and it usually trys before the wireless comes on line and then reports it cant find Mom. I pulled it and went back to Norton as the least unliked virus program that I tried. I'll say this, the Avira program installed smoothly and you seem to have good control over it. I'm doing a 30 day trial. We'll see how that goes.
                      >
                      > Again sorry for opening the can of worms I did.
                      >
                      > Don
                    • Mike Nicewonger
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 7, 2010
                        On Nov 7, 2010, at 9:36 PM, Stan Stocker wrote:

                        > Hi Don,
                        >
                        > Yes, AVG used to be really good, went into a real PITA release
                        > doing the
                        > long scans and quirky updates around 2 years ago, and is now
                        > reported to
                        > have learned from market share loss and is back being OK.

                        AVG is about one of the best of the free AV packages. They took a hit
                        as you point out but got better.

                        > There is a free AVIRA, but not at the Avira main site. You can get to
                        > it through CNET or by googling for free avira. I use it on my Windoze
                        > boxes and partitions, CLAM_AV on the linux machines. With so many
                        > exploits these days being in formerly "safe" file types such as PDF
                        > running linux may well make you safer as fewer exploits target it, but
                        > it still is worth checking things. Even if a payload can't hurt
                        > me, it
                        > could harm someone using a vulnerable system that I pass the PDF on
                        > to.
                        > I haven't forgotten the first worm that spread over the net was a unix
                        > exploit either :-)

                        I'll second this too. As a recovering Unix and Email admin folks like
                        me will thank you very much for helping keep the 'net tidy. It is
                        imperative you have some sort of AV filtering in place regardless of
                        what sort of 'puter you run. While some systems are indeed less
                        vulnerable it is easy to pass an infected file along unknowingly.

                        Also, just having an AV package is no good unless you actually UPDATE
                        the thing frequently.

                        > As for a can of worms, this is nothing. Not even a blip, certainly
                        > nothing to apologize over. You should see some lists when anything
                        > related to virus stuff comes up, so many and contradictory posts,
                        > flames
                        > from the overly smug linux folks, the microslop fanboys, and the
                        > occasional Mac / SunOS/ Solaris bigot. Glad the Taig group is almost
                        > always far more mellow.

                        ;-)

                        (I run Macs, Sparc and Linux here....) I guess I should run away now?

                        --
                        Mike N

                        I was on a roll but I slipped on the butter.
                      • Chris Ghent
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 8, 2010
                          Will,

                          Every now and again I read a post that has me screaming "pictures,
                          pictures, pictures..! Yours is one of them. Any chance of seeing your
                          work..?

                          Chris
                          www.concertina.com.au

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 8, 2010
                            I'm having trouble finding materials (brass screws, hard rubber, exotic
                            hardwoods, etc...) -- I kinda like the set-backs, as they can give you time to
                            think, and adjust plans. Hell yes, I would love to send pix -- look for
                            something that is more final in the spring. (April in New Mexico)

                            I have a test gear body that is white oak -- I worked on it this weekend.
                            Crashed it twice --- human error -- simple stupidity (and beer).

                            Don't want to mount up the mahogany until I have the g-code right.
                            I want to run it with the vacuum running -- I hate the itchy hands and lungs.

                            My grandfather (Luxembourger) played the concertina. I am a fan of Tex-Mex
                            button accordions -- and of your site. I especially like the filister head
                            brass screws. My project requires 100 of them -- I was hoping for 8-32 and
                            6-32, but the smaller ones are hard to find at a decent price. Sure, they are
                            available, but just not economical. I don't think I am up to the task of making
                            100 brass screws either.

                            I also like the quartersawn ray chantoyancy of the accent woods on your
                            instruments -- damned nice work.

                            ________________________________
                            Every now and again I read a post that has me screaming "pictures,
                            pictures, pictures..! Yours is one of them. Any chance of seeing your
                            work..?

                            Chris
                            www.concertina.com.au

                            > 1b. Re: Make gears
                            > Posted by: "Will Schmit"anchornm@... anchornm
                            > Date: Sun Nov 7, 2010 11:31 am ((PST))
                            >
                            > All I can say is that this program is muther beautiful.
                            > I made some gears out of corian that run as smooth as silk.
                            > It will output g-code to Mach3 or a variety of other formats.
                            >
                            > I am making a sculpture, which will look like 19th century scientific
                            >equipment,
                            > so it wouldn't be appropriate to make the gears as helicals, but I am chomping
                            > at the bit to try that function. My current project is African Mahogany, with
                            > ivory teeth (each individually held in place by brass screws).
                            >
                            > I output the g-code to make the gears.
                            > I output a dxf file to Rhino to plan all the other parts.
                            > So far everything fits with sub-micron precision.
                            >
                            > FWIW, Art, Artsoft, Mach3, Brain, Gecko, Mariss, and Jeff Birt (with
                            >inspiration
                            > from Jeff Demand) are all responsible for helping me cobble together my rig,
                            >and
                            > I trust them all implicitly, but the wild internet may supply some tiger-pits
                            >--
                            > McAfee is on my team too.

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 12, 2010
                              I have an article on my website about making fly-cutters to cut gears. You can get it at:

                              http://onlineclockbuilding.com/DOWNLOADS/download.html

                              My gears are brass, used to make clocks.

                              John
                            • Pierre Coueffin
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 12, 2010
                                On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Mike Nicewonger <twmaster@...> wrote:
                                > As a recovering Unix and Email admin

                                From that phrase, can I infer that you were once a participant at the
                                September Forum the Scary Devil Monastery?