Re: chip control

  • jnwoofer
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2010
      M --

      Could you post pics of the lathe and the mill? What type of clearance do you get from the Walmart boxes to the handwheels?

      JN

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mrehmus" <editor@...> wrote:

      > I put my Sherline lathe and mill in those plastic boxes they sell in Walmart for storage, etc. The lathe is in a box that is about 8 inches deep, maybe a bit more. The mill is in one that is more than 14 inches deep.
      >
      > I need open tops so I can use a video camera when I make training tapes. The translucent white boxes are ideal for this as they add no false colors to the video image.
      >
      > I then heated an old blade and cut access holes in the plastic walls of the boxes to allow me to operate the controls. The tailstock end can be very open...I removed the entire tailstock end of the box for the lathe. I then cut a hole in the lid so the Sherline motor controller could stick through and now I have a good dust cover.
      >
      > Put the box on a piece of non-skid rubber so it won't skid around.
      >
      > It takes just a few minutes to clean up with a small shop vacuum when I'm done.
      >
      > I have a Taig CNC Mill that I inherited and it too will go in a plastic box when I get that set up.

    • mrehmus
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2010

        "Machines in Boxes"

        I put these in the boxes so I wouldn't have to always be chasing swarf as I make training videos about the machine tools. A little 1 gallon shop vacuum makes short work of the clean up job.

        The lathe is on a MDF shelf with rubber feet under the shelf and sitting directly on the plastic box. If I would have thought out the setup a bit better, instead of cutting the front of the box away, I would have made a vertical cut in the side at the tailstock end of the headstock and just cut the tailstock end of the box away. Then I would have heated the front of the box in a horizontal line from the bottom of the headstock-end cut to the tailstock end and bent it out at about 40 degrees. This would have kept even more swarf off the floor.

        The mill is mounted with screws through the box bottom and into a piece of plywood. The plywood is on a rubber mat to prevent it from sliding. I made a small hole for the Y handwheel and made a u-shaped cut in the right front side and heated and bent the resulting 'door' in at about 45 degrees. This give me enough room to stick my arm in and run the X handwheel. The Z-axis handwheel is suffiently above the box edges to not require any modifications to the box.

        I used translucent boxes so I can light from any direction if I need it for the video.

        I had considered a modified fish tank for these tools and may, in fact, use one for the Taig CNC mill if I cannot obtain a large enough one from Wal-Mart.

        These are not perfect solutions but after cleaning up during the making of my Sherline lathe video, I find this quite good enough.