Brunton Compass?

  • Lewis hein
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi all
      I'm wondering if I could make a brunton-style commpass (like is used by geologists) on a Taig lathe? I think this style of compass is also known as a "pocket transit"

      Thank you

      Lewis Hein

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
        No reason why not...
        I would use a CNC mill

        I had one of those in the 70s -- best damned compass made.
        I caught malaria, and was lucky, I sold it to a surveyer for $20, and was able
        to but a 2nd hand coat, so I didn't freeze to death on my trip back to Chicago
        in January.  I miss it!

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2010
          Could it be done without CNC? I have a sherline rotary table I could use to
          engrave the dial.
          I'm also considering the extra challenge of making mine a cube 1'' on a side
          because that is the biggest piece of aluminum I have on hand. and that a
          little more compact. However, I may end up buying a 3" square piece.

          Thanks

          Lewis Hein

          I'm wondering if I could make a brunton-style commpass (like is used by
          geologists) on a Taig lathe? I think this style of compass is also known as
          "pocket transit"

          Thank you

          Lewis Hein

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
            The problem (as I see it) will be, to find an accurate compass "card" or
            movement.
            As I recall, the Brunton is close to 4", and that is one of the reasons it is so
            accurate. Larger card, more accuracy.

            The rotary table is a great idea - especially for making the increments.

            Have you thought about Delrin?
            Plastic is a great material for a compass.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
              Hi

              Hmmm. I didn't think of using delrin. I will have to consider that. Do you
              know if It would warp if left out in the sun? Also do you know if I will
              need jeweled bearings or will just plain brass be good enough? Or, if I use
              delrin will it be slippery enough to make a good bearing? I'm planning on
              filling the compass with oil to lubricate the bearings and, so that I can
              leave an air bubble and make the inside of the transparent cover slightly
              concave,
              mark a circle on it to make a bullseye level and save a bit of time and
              trouble that way. In lieu of a larger dial I was thinking I would engrave
              marks every five degrees on the scale (.040 apart), get a commercial compass
              needle and attach a scale to each end with five grads on it six degrees
              apart, giving me a vernier scale. Same thing on the clinometer. I went and
              measured my aluminum bar. It is actually 1.375 square so I'll be using a 1"
              diameter scale. still pretty small, but easier than 3/4" dia!

              Thanks for your answers and suggestions

              Lewis

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
                How about Micarta?
                You can swipe the leveling stuff out of a Home Depot Torpedo level.

                I say "don't cheat yourself" a 1" compass will help you find home, but a Brunton
                Compass is a precise tool. I know that I couldn't make such a beautiful device,
                but that doesn't mean you can't. Make it as big as you can, and you will be
                happier.