New to milling, having problems getting started...

  • mpw212002
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hi all,
      My place of work just purchased a taigtools CNC mill. Another guy and I are in charge of setting it up and getting it online. We have connected all of the cables correctly and assembled the machine. We installed mach 3 and are just trying to get the motors to step. Obviously they won't even do that. It seems like the control box is talking with our computer but we are getting nowhere. We configured the Mach 3 to the specs sent by taigtools in their manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are all scratching our heads around here lol.

      Thanks,
      Matt
    • Ken Cline
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2010
        Make sure you have an appropriate configuration (xml) file for Mach3. I got mine form my stepper controller vendor.

        Another common problem is running your parallel port in the wrong mode. I don't recall the details, but you can check the archives or look for documentation.

        My next step would be to look at signals while running a program using an AC voltmeter. Is Mach driving the parallel port correctly? If so, why does there seem to be no signal from the controller?

        Good luck!