Belts

  • lynn805908
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
      Anyone know exact measurements for belts for the lathe? Are there any replacement I can use from atandard nanufacturers lists?
    • pe3hmp
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
        http://www.cartertools.com/catalog.html
        1159 $8.10 Spare Gates polyurethane vee belt No.3M 315 12 1/2" flat length For mounting motor behind and to the left of the lathe. Also used on the Taig Milling machine.
        1160 $8.10 Spare Gates polyurethane vee belt No.3M 500 20" flat length For mounting motor directly behind the lathe

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
          Dear Group
          I have also sent this to the Shurline group.
          Will someone advise me how long Taig belts are and roughly their cost.
          Some years ago I bought a King Model: CH-920AG lathe sight unseen was my first
          mistake. The "V" belt on it is 3/16 inch wide by 27 7/8 inches long. I was very
          disapointed in my purchace thinking such a belt driven by a 3/4 hp. motor would probably snap in no time.
          Having seen pictures of some of the stuff made by both Shurline lathes & the Taig lathes says to me I need to stop blaming my tools and get busy and try using them. Yesterday I dropped into a tool supplier and priced a belt just a little longer than my belt as they did not have my belt. It priced out at $24.95 before taxes. How long and wide are Taig belts and roughly what do they cost? also do they have any reinforceing inside them. Can belting be bought in
          bulk so one can make there own? I would also like to find someone with this kind of lathe to see what can be done with it; i.e. how deep a cut - -

          keep smiling

          dennis mac
        • Mike Nicewonger
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
            On Oct 5, 2010, at 7:18 PM, DennisF M wrote:

            > Dear Group
            > I have also sent this to the Shurline group.
            > Will someone advise me how long Taig belts are and roughly their cost.
            > Some years ago I bought a King Model: CH-920AG lathe sight unseen
            > was my first
            > mistake. The "V" belt on it is 3/16 inch wide by 27 7/8 inches
            > long. I was very
            > disapointed in my purchace thinking such a belt driven by a 3/4 hp.
            > motor would probably snap in no time.
            > Having seen pictures of some of the stuff made by both Shurline
            > lathes & the Taig lathes says to me I need to stop blaming my tools
            > and get busy and try using them. Yesterday I dropped into a tool
            > supplier and priced a belt just a little longer than my belt as
            > they did not have my belt. It priced out at $24.95 before taxes.
            > How long and wide are Taig belts and roughly what do they cost?
            > also do they have any reinforceing inside them. Can belting be
            > bought in
            > bulk so one can make there own? I would also like to find someone
            > with this kind of lathe to see what can be done with it; i.e. how
            > deep a cut

            The belts are made by Gates and come in two sizes. One is about 12.5"
            long and the other is about 20" long. Price is about $8 each.

            You can see the details here:

            http://www.cartertools.com/catalog.html

            --
            Mike N

            "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."
          • Stan Stocker
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
              Hi Dennis,

              I bought my Taig in 1996. Still on the original belt, spare purchased
              at the same time is still in the drawer. I use a fairly large ball
              bearing GE motor, I think it's a 3/4 horse. Big for this size lathe,
              you could run my SB9 on it without problems. Pulley alignment is quite
              important, I understand you will chew belts up fast if you don't line
              things up nicely. Fusible belt for jewelers lathes will work, but is
              just a tad stretchy for conventional use. I have this on the other Taig
              bits and pieces pivot polishing lathe, which is driven with a sewing
              machine motor and foot controller.

              My Sherline mill is on the original belt, it was bought used four years
              ago and is used regularly in my clock repair business, as are the Taig
              lathes.

              I'm guessing your 9X20 belt didn't snap either? Mine never did. I did
              get to despise the Chinese 9X20 lathes for many reasons over the years
              but belt problems were not on the list :-) If you're blaming one of
              these lathes for some marginal results, you may well be correct to blame
              the tool. I did a lot of work on my old Jet 920 and never was really
              satisfied with the nasty little POS.

              Depth of cut depends on material, tooling, and work diameter as with any
              lathe. Both Sherline and Taig are small, light benchtop machines. If
              lots of material removal is needed the work goes on a larger lathe or
              mill, particularly if the work is in steel or bronze. If you expect
              these lathes to do the work of a larger lathe you'll be disappointed,
              just not a reasonable expectation. If you regard them as tools for
              small work, they are great machines. Wicked sharp HSS bits of the
              correct geometry for the material are your friends, zero and negative
              rake carbide is just plain out (unless you're cutting brass - although I
              still prefer polished HSS zero top rake tools for this too.)

              Of all the things that will consume time and money, belts are pretty low
              down on the list.

              Cheers,
              Stan

              On 10/05/2010 08:18 PM, DennisF M wrote:
              > Dear Group
              > I have also sent this to the Shurline group.
              > Will someone advise me how long Taig belts are and roughly their cost.
              > Some years ago I bought a King Model: CH-920AG lathe sight unseen was my first
              > mistake. The "V" belt on it is 3/16 inch wide by 27 7/8 inches long. I was very
              > disapointed in my purchace thinking such a belt driven by a 3/4 hp. motor would probably snap in no time.
              > Having seen pictures of some of the stuff made by both Shurline lathes& the Taig lathes says to me I need to stop blaming my tools and get busy and try using them. Yesterday I dropped into a tool supplier and priced a belt just a little longer than my belt as they did not have my belt. It priced out at $24.95 before taxes. How long and wide are Taig belts and roughly what do they cost? also do they have any reinforceing inside them. Can belting be bought in
              > bulk so one can make there own? I would also like to find someone with this kind of lathe to see what can be done with it; i.e. how deep a cut - -
              >
              > keep smiling
              >
              > dennis mac

            • pe3hmp
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
                The small one is gates 3M315 (0095-140) 8901-0315
                barcode 0 72053 26619 1

                Bought them from cartertools (Nick) but I must say it looks like mine is stil running on the original belts (i have an extra pulley inbetween it) and those are like 20 years old (or more).

                Mark

              • awemail@cox.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
                  Information on the Gates belts can be found at www.gates.com Download their Light Duty Belts catalog for all the information you need. 3M size belts are listed from 7.09 to 29.53 inches. The part number of the belt provides the length in millimeters, so the 3M515 belt is 515 millimeters, or 20.28 inches in length. These belts can be obtained from any dealer that sells Gates belts, but they may have to order them. I got mine from Motion Industries since they have a local office nearby. Price was under $9.
                  Allan