Re: Digital cameras

  • marlinmanssv@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2001
      I restore old Volvo's as a hobby and sometimes have to e-mail for
      parts; often to European sources. Language barriers can cause
      problems so I bought a cheap digital camera to use under my car for
      photographing obscure parts, hoping to avoid confusion and time
      delays. I bought a Polaroid PDC 700 with 1048x 800-something
      resolution. It has served me well. It has a so-so internal macro
      lense that works well down to about 4 inches. It isn't the greatest
      camera, and I have yet to seriously use it at it's highest resolution
      settings, but the sub-$200 price makes it good for such utilitarian
      work as my own. The software is good, too, and it will accept
      insertable bit-cards. I am not a photographer so maybe I don't know
      any better, but this little camera gets the job done for me.
      Regards.
      Andy M.
      --- In taigtools@y..., Tom Benedict <benedict@a...> wrote:

      > It's funny, but of all the projects I've tackled since getting my
      lathe
      > and mill, photo gear hasn't been one of them. Not to say the
      projects
      > aren't there. I just haven't got off my zud to DO any of them.
      >
      > Speaking of digital cameras, I managed to break the tripod socket
      on my
      > Nikon 950. Nice camera, crappy plastic socket. (I was happy to
      see the
      > 990 has a metal socket). As soon as I'm back out in the shed, a
      nice new
      > machined metal socket is definitely in the works. (And yeah, once
      I get
      > that done, I'll get back on that manual for the mill.)
      >
      > One that I've been wanting to re-do for years is the flash bracket
      I use
      > for macro photography. I made one similar to the one John Shaw
      describes
      > in "Closeup on Nature". It's nice, but not nearly rigid enough.
      Here I
      > sit with a lathe and mill. Surely a new design would be better...
      >
      > Once upon a time I built a 4x5 monorail camera using a kit from
      Bender
      > Photographic. It's a nice camera. I'm glad I built it. It got me
      into
      > 4x5 photography, and I still use it to this day. But having looked
      at
      > Toyo, Wisner, and Horseman cameras, I'd seriously like to try my
      hand at
      > making a field camera from scratch. That would be a heckuva
      project.
      > Some day...
      >
      > I've got a ton of other smaller ones. Just gotta get shop time!
      >
      > Tom
    • Tom Benedict