Re: [taigtools] Re: Digital cameras

  • Dave Martindale
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2001
      If you want to get lots of information about digital cameras, there are
      a number of sites on the web dedicated to reviews of the things. You
      can easily spend a few evenings reading reviews. My favourites (I've been
      thinking of buying a digital camera too) are:

      www.dpreview.com
      www.steves-digicams.com
      www.imaging-resource.com

      One thing to keep in mind: If you want a camera that can take pictures
      of small things, like small parts you've made or lathe toolbits, you need
      macro capability. Perhaps the best cameras for this are the Nikon Coolpix
      900/950/990/995 series, which can fill the entire frame with something
      the size of a quarter just using the lens that comes with the camera.

      Some other cameras are pretty good, capturing about a 3-inch-wide field
      at closest focus. Others focus close only with auxiliary close-up lenses,
      which work fine but are something else to buy. And some cameras don't
      focus close themselves, and don't have any way of attaching closeup lenses
      either (no accessory thread). Avoid the latter.

      Dave
    • marlinmanssv@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2001
        I restore old Volvo's as a hobby and sometimes have to e-mail for
        parts; often to European sources. Language barriers can cause
        problems so I bought a cheap digital camera to use under my car for
        photographing obscure parts, hoping to avoid confusion and time
        delays. I bought a Polaroid PDC 700 with 1048x 800-something
        resolution. It has served me well. It has a so-so internal macro
        lense that works well down to about 4 inches. It isn't the greatest
        camera, and I have yet to seriously use it at it's highest resolution
        settings, but the sub-$200 price makes it good for such utilitarian
        work as my own. The software is good, too, and it will accept
        insertable bit-cards. I am not a photographer so maybe I don't know
        any better, but this little camera gets the job done for me.
        Regards.
        Andy M.
        --- In taigtools@y..., Tom Benedict <benedict@a...> wrote:

        > It's funny, but of all the projects I've tackled since getting my
        lathe
        > and mill, photo gear hasn't been one of them. Not to say the
        projects
        > aren't there. I just haven't got off my zud to DO any of them.
        >
        > Speaking of digital cameras, I managed to break the tripod socket
        on my
        > Nikon 950. Nice camera, crappy plastic socket. (I was happy to
        see the
        > 990 has a metal socket). As soon as I'm back out in the shed, a
        nice new
        > machined metal socket is definitely in the works. (And yeah, once
        I get
        > that done, I'll get back on that manual for the mill.)
        >
        > One that I've been wanting to re-do for years is the flash bracket
        I use
        > for macro photography. I made one similar to the one John Shaw
        describes
        > in "Closeup on Nature". It's nice, but not nearly rigid enough.
        Here I
        > sit with a lathe and mill. Surely a new design would be better...
        >
        > Once upon a time I built a 4x5 monorail camera using a kit from
        Bender
        > Photographic. It's a nice camera. I'm glad I built it. It got me
        into
        > 4x5 photography, and I still use it to this day. But having looked
        at
        > Toyo, Wisner, and Horseman cameras, I'd seriously like to try my
        hand at
        > making a field camera from scratch. That would be a heckuva
        project.
        > Some day...
        >
        > I've got a ton of other smaller ones. Just gotta get shop time!
        >
        > Tom
      • Tom Benedict