[sherline] Someone mentioned Taig

  • twi1396108@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2001
      Date: 4/30/01 6:57:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time
      From:    mfraser@... (Mark Fraser)
      To:    sherline@yahoogroups.com

      I needed a chuck as a workpiece holder for my Sherline rotary table.
      Went to the local Lee Valley store, bought a Taig 4-jaw (non scroll)
      for price reasons, and because it was in stock locally.  Won't do that
      again - bellmouthed, full of crud, badly finished threads where the
      spindle and jaw-adjuster threads meet, sloppy jaw fit, poorly finished
      jaws, and the wrong size hex-wrench.  In fact, the adjusters seem
      to be neither English nor metric hex  - had to grind down a wrench to
      fit.  But I *was* able to use it.    Must have been supplied by the same

      folks that bring us some of those mills from China. /mark

      Hi guys newbie tom here- before i bought the taig mini lathe i was alittle
      misguided and came a board the sherline and 7 x 10 chat sites it didn't take
      long for me to realize these were wrong mini lathes and chat sites for me , I
      should have requested off the sherline site by now , but i was alittle lazy
      and stay on to long !and while looking threw my email I saw this post from
      sherline ,too say this made me Mad !!!is understatement !!!! well I was right
      after al -it seem like these sherline guys have their heads up their
      tailstocks they the sherline group always did seem alittle snobbish and
      misinformed ,and uninformed,No it all's ,sorry that's not nice OOPS !!
      Thumbs Up to us taig folks we talk nice about everyone no menacing remarks
      from us good job al those sherline folks and 7 x 10 guys could take lesson
      from you Guys and Gals
      and lets let the misguided and misinformed play all by themselves because
      they don't play nice! AKA sherline 7 x 10 -chat shame on them (Taig #1
      ) newbie tom :)

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2001
        Sounds like a Sherline dealer trying to stir up more business, or a person
        who doesn't know that both Taig and Lee Valley are excellent concerns that
        will do just about anything to achieve customer satisfaction.

        Taig likes to relate the story of the guy who bought a Taig, sent a detailed
        letter to them outlining all it's faults, essentially saying it was a
        worthless POS, yet when invited to send it back for refund, refused saying
        it wasn't worth his time, but he still wanted his money back.

        I sometimes get angry emails from people about my Sherline VS Taig article
        (slightly outdated right now, should update it) - when I point ouut that it
        was reviewed by Craig Libuse at Sherline, they usually shut up.
        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
        http://www.casco.net/~felice
      • Brad Atkinson
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2001
          Sounds like you bought a second hand chuck, maybe used and thown(?) in a box
          marked with a Taig part no. The Taig four jaw is a good chuck. It has been
          adapted to fit a number of other lathes because of its good price and size.
          By the way it works great on my Sherline and taig equipment.

          Forrest

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2001
            At 09:41 01/05/01 -0700, you wrote:
            >Sounds like a Sherline dealer trying to stir up more business, or a person
            >who doesn't know that both Taig and Lee Valley are excellent concerns that
            >will do just about anything to achieve customer satisfaction.

            The comments were originally written by Mark Fraser, who I've met in person.
            He's not a Sherline dealer. He does have a Sherline lathe and mill, so
            is familiar with their equipment, and does not have a Taig. If he says
            that the chuck he got is bad, I'm inclined to believe him. But it sounds
            like he hasn't considered returning the chuck and trying to get a better one.

            Dave