Re: [taigtools] DRILL BLOCK, VISE, INDEX PLATE!

  • beepeenacan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2001
      How do I shim the spindle on a drill press? Lower it and shove somethin in
      there? Probably a no brainer...
      I have seen many ways to make an index plate. I made only 16 divisions, I
      think....marker off with a good "scratch" w/the dremel handpiece, then
      blackened the marks w/ ALUMIBLACK so I could see them. My pulley on the
      h-stock came from the factory lookin like a dog chewed on it, so the fit
      against the pulley had to be adjusted to keep it from wobbling....I
      definately will get a new pulley.
      I have seen the sawblade method, the gear method, etc... mine came out
      good w/ the protractor, but I would like more divisions, and Keep the
      accuracy. Whats best??When in doubt, ask 1st, then buy 1 from Nick!?! thanks
      guys, I am slowly learnin'. BRAD and thanks for the vise tips, I would
      hate to waste $ on a piece of crap.will get the good one and save the
      grief.....

      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2001
        Best to disassemble and superglue or epoxy the shim in place - some have
        used epoxy to make the bore tighter, coating the spindle with wax. Sounds
        too error prone for me - might end up gluing the whole mass together. If you
        ever find an old Delta or Buffalo drill press for sale - get it, you won't
        be sorry.

        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
        http://www.casco.net/~felice