Re: [taigtools] 1/2" shank tools in a taig mill?

  • greg.mcfadden
    Message 1 of 18 , May 4, 2010
      Hey nick, you wouldn't happen to know what the ID of the bearings in the
      spindle are?

      I came across this

      http://www.amazon.com/Jacobs-Diameter-Straight-Extension-Projection/dp/B001F0QJHM

      and I was a contemplating whether it would be a sort of drop in larger
      spindle (I doubt it as I am not that lucky) or whether different bearings
      could be found and used to enable it to be used in the current taig mill
      spindle block

      -Greg

      Message 2 of 18 , May 5, 2010
        17mm I think

        greg.mcfadden wrote:
        > Hey nick, you wouldn't happen to know what the ID of the bearings in the
        > spindle are?
        >
        > I came across this
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/Jacobs-Diameter-Straight-Extension-Projection/dp/B001F0QJHM
        >
        > and I was a contemplating whether it would be a sort of drop in larger
        > spindle (I doubt it as I am not that lucky) or whether different bearings
        > could be found and used to enable it to be used in the current taig mill
        > spindle block
        >
        > -Greg
        >
        > On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein <
        > felice@...> wrote:
        >

        >>> Make one with the arbors that Nick sells.
        >> Those won't work on the ER16 spindle...
        >>
        >> There's not a good solution that doesn't add a bunch of height and
        >> introduce runout.
        >> Another way of looking at the problem is whether you think your router
        >> is less heavy than the Taig motor and spindle - make a mount to put the
        >> router on the mill z-axis.
        >> --
        >> felice@... <felice%40casco.net> is Nicholas Carter and Felice
        >> Luftschein. See our
        >> homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

        felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
        homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
      • Dubious Beans
        Message 3 of 18 , May 5, 2010
          Thanks to all that responded.
          I think that Nicks suggestion to mount the router on the Taig makes
          the most sense for me. I doubt that my router weighs any more than
          the stock motor and spindle assembly and it looks like it shouldn't
          be too hard to build an adapter bracket for it.

          Thanks!

          Steve

          Message 4 of 18 , May 5, 2010
            There already is one.
            Paul Jones has a nice one.
            I don't recall if it fits the Taig Dovetail, but I would bet dollars to donuts that he would make it --- all of my spindle mounts are adapted by Paul to work with the Taig dovetail plate.

            I don't have his website at the tip of my tongue -- but I'll get back to you

            ________________________________

            ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

          • larrys@teamlarry.com
            Message 5 of 18 , May 5, 2010
              Will Schmit <anchornm@...> wrote:
              > There already is one.
              > Paul Jones has a nice one.
              > I don't recall if it fits the Taig Dovetail, but I would bet dollars
              > to donuts that he would make it --- all of my spindle mounts are
              > adapted by Paul to work with the Taig dovetail plate.
              >
              > I don't have his website at the tip of my tongue -- but I'll get back
              > to you

              http://www.cnconabudget.com perhaps?

              -ls-
              Message 6 of 18 , May 5, 2010
                http://www.cnconabudget.com/

                Look near the bottom of the page.
                You might need to adapt his taig dovetail mount -- But, I'll bet the bolt pattern would bolt right up INSTEAD of the dovetail.  Either way, Paul; does great work, and at prices that are fair and reasonable.

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __
                I think that Nicks suggestion to mount the router on the Taig makes
                the most sense for me. I doubt that my router weighs any more than
                the stock motor and spindle assembly and it looks like it shouldn't
                be too hard to build an adapter bracket for it.

                Thanks!

                Steve

                ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -----

                >Another way of looking at the problem is whether you think your router
                >is less heavy than the Taig motor and spindle - make a mount to put the
                >router on the mill z-axis.

              • Athena
                Message 7 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                  Hey Steve,

                  I've seen a few people who have mounted laminate trimmers to their Taigs. Things like the Bosch Colt, which I'm pretty sure is 1/4" shank by default. I haven't searched for extra collets though.

                  I've collected some nice pics and e-mailed John Bear Ross (johnbearross.com) who's doing fine with his Colt so far. He got the K2 mount and adapted it to the Taig.

                  Ken Jenkings used a Dewalt DW660:
                  http://kj.cloudcitydigital.com/pages/taig_mill_d660mount.html

                  I haven't seen any larger routers though, but I was looking for smaller things.

                  ...Athena

                  ___________________
                  www.AthenaInlay.com

                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Dubious Beans <dubiousbeans@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks to all that responded.
                  > I think that Nicks suggestion to mount the router on the Taig makes
                  > the most sense for me. I doubt that my router weighs any more than
                  > the stock motor and spindle assembly and it looks like it shouldn't
                  > be too hard to build an adapter bracket for it.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >

                  > Steve

                  > >Another way of looking at the problem is whether you think your router
                  > >is less heavy than the Taig motor and spindle - make a mount to put the
                  > >router on the mill z-axis.

                • Jeff Demand
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                    I have a Proxxon IB/E (dremal sized spindle but on steroids with real
                    bearings) for my mill when I want higher RPM. A standard riser block and
                    some carved up Al pieces. Not too much power but who cares at 20K+ and
                    little bits. Not much noise, dead on runout numbers and good for overnight
                    runs. Also it has its own rotary axis, I can't stop kicking myself in the
                    ass even if I don't have the software to use it properly. Nice toy.

                    jeffD

                    >I've seen a few people who have mounted laminate trimmers to their Taigs.
                    >Things like the Bosch Colt, which I'm pretty sure is 1/4" shank by
                    >default. I haven't searched for extra collets though.
                    >
                    >I've collected some nice pics and e-mailed John Bear Ross
                    >(johnbearross.com) who's doing fine with his Colt so far. He got the K2
                    >mount and adapted it to the Taig.
                    >
                    >Ken Jenkings used a Dewalt DW660:
                    >http://kj.cloudcitydigital.com/pages/taig_mill_d660mount.html
                    >
                    >I haven't seen any larger routers though, but I was looking for smaller
                    >things.
                    >
                    >...Athena
                    >
                    >___________________
                    >www.AthenaInlay.com
                    >
                    >--- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Dubious Beans <dubiousbeans@...> wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Thanks to all that responded.
                    >> I think that Nicks suggestion to mount the router on the Taig makes
                    >> the most sense for me. I doubt that my router weighs any more than
                    >> the stock motor and spindle assembly and it looks like it shouldn't
                    >> be too hard to build an adapter bracket for it.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks!
                    >>

                    >> Steve

                    >> >Another way of looking at the problem is whether you think your router
                    >> >is less heavy than the Taig motor and spindle - make a mount to put the
                    >> >router on the mill z-axis.

                    >Let the chips fly!
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    06:26:00

                    -
                    Demand Designs
                    Analog/Digital Modelling & Goldsmithing

                    http://www.gmavt.net/~jdemand
                    jdemand@...
                    -
                  • Dubious Beans
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 6, 2010
                      At 01:16 PM 5/5/2010 -0700, you wrote:

                      ><http://www.cnconabudget.com/>http://www.cnconabudget.com/
                      >
                      >Look near the bottom of the page.
                      >You might need to adapt his taig dovetail mount
                      >-- But, I'll bet the bolt pattern would bolt
                      >right up INSTEAD of the dovetail. Either way,
                      >Paul; does great work, and at prices that are fair and reasonable.

                      Thanks!
                      I see lots of nice stuff on Pauls site that I could use. :)

                      Steve