Re: [taigtools] Taper attatchment

  • Chuck Rice
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 7, 2010
      I am new to this group, but is this what you are looking for? -Chuck-

      <http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/Taper.html>

      On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Rick Kernell wrote:

      > Adam,
      >
      > Sorry, I forgot that I can't send photos attached directly. If you go to the photo section, I have created a folder labeled "Rick Kernell's Taig Mods". The photo's are there.
      >
      > Rick

    • Stan Stocker
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 7, 2010
        Hi Folks,

        For single units Mark is right. For multiples units, if the taper must
        be exactly the same then the workpieces must be both the exact same
        lengths and center drilled to the exact same depth. Certainly possible,
        but a huge time eater if you need to make many of the same thing.

        If is also difficult to cut steep tapers via tailstock setover as both
        the driven end requires lots of flex and the tailstock end tends to need
        a ball end rather than pointed end center. Tailstock set over is great
        for things like model cannon barrels in many cases, not so hot for 30
        degree included angle stuff however.

        A taper attachment always cuts n thou per inch of carriage travel, so
        you can quickly make long and short MT3 tapers for example. I have not
        built one for any of my lathes, but certainly have had occasions when
        having one would have been very useful.

        Cheers,
        Stan

        pe3hmp wrote:
        > You can do that by setting the tailstock offcenter.
        >
        > Mark

      • pe3hmp
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 7, 2010
          Thanks for the picture

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 7, 2010
            Yes, it's like that thing Rick.

            This is one for a Logan, but most makers made them similar, if a bit more elaborate:
            http://www.lathe.com/images/pl-taper.gif

            When these are in use, the lead screw for the cross slide is disengaged, so the cross is free to slide back and forth. The taper plate at the back of the lathe is set for the wanted angle/taper per ft., and it has a shoe that follows it, which is in turn linked to the cross slide.

            When the carriage moves toward the headstock, the shoe makes the cross slide follow the taper you have set on the back taper plate.

            This setup also lets you cut long internal tapers. At least, as long as the length of your boring bar. For things like spindle tapers and such. Also will thread on a taper, internal or external.

            The only reason we set over our tail stocks to cut a taper is because we don't have one of these things. Setting up a taper attachment is a lot less headache than setting over the tail, then having to re-clock it every time you need to do a little odd job.

            Dean

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Kernell" <rickk1@...> wrote:

            > Dean,
            >
            > Is this like the attachment that was on the Hardinge lathe that I sent photos of? It was attached behind the bed and aligned with the cross slide.
            >
            > Rick
          • Rick Kernell
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 7, 2010
              Dean,

              I think that there is a project in the future,...

              Rick
              This is one for a Logan, but most makers made them similar, if a bit more elaborate:
              http://www.lathe.com/images/pl-taper.gif

              When these are in use, the lead screw for the cross slide is disengaged, so the cross is free to slide back and forth. The taper plate at the back of the lathe is set for the wanted angle/taper per ft., and it has a shoe that follows it, which is in turn linked to the cross slide.

              When the carriage moves toward the headstock, the shoe makes the cross slide follow the taper you have set on the back taper plate.

              This setup also lets you cut long internal tapers. At least, as long as the length of your boring bar. For things like spindle tapers and such. Also will thread on a taper, internal or external.

              The only reason we set over our tail stocks to cut a taper is because we don't have one of these things. Setting up a taper attachment is a lot less headache than setting over the tail, then having to re-clock it every time you need to do a little odd job.

              Dean

              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Kernell" <rickk1@...> wrote:

              > Dean,
              >
              > Is this like the attachment that was on the Hardinge lathe that I sent photos of? It was attached behind the bed and aligned with the cross slide.
              >
              > Rick

            • Rick Reyes
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 7, 2010
                In response to the taper attachment. One could make a boring head like tool for the tail stock. That way you can do long tapers without having to mess with the tailstock alignment. As for short threaded tapers no sure how to go about that.

                Rick

                ________________________________
                I think that there is a project in the future,...

                Rick
                This is one for a Logan, but most makers made them similar, if a bit more elaborate:
                http://www.lathe com/images/ pl-taper. gif

                When these are in use, the lead screw for the cross slide is disengaged, so the cross is free to slide back and forth. The taper plate at the back of the lathe is set for the wanted angle/taper per ft., and it has a shoe that follows it, which is in turn linked to the cross slide.

                When the carriage moves toward the headstock, the shoe makes the cross slide follow the taper you have set on the back taper plate.

                This setup also lets you cut long internal tapers. At least, as long as the length of your boring bar. For things like spindle tapers and such. Also will thread on a taper, internal or external.

                The only reason we set over our tail stocks to cut a taper is because we don't have one of these things. Setting up a taper attachment is a lot less headache than setting over the tail, then having to re-clock it every time you need to do a little odd job.

                Dean

                --- In taigtools@yahoogrou ps.com, "Rick Kernell" <rickk1@...> wrote:

                > Dean,
                >
                > Is this like the attachment that was on the Hardinge lathe that I sent photos of? It was attached behind the bed and aligned with the cross slide.
                >
                > Rick

              • Dean
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 8, 2010
                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Rick Reyes <aztaig@...> wrote:

                  > In response to the taper attachment. One could make a boring head like tool for the tail stock. That way you can do long tapers without having to mess with the tailstock alignment. As for short threaded tapers no sure how to go about that.
                  >
                  > Rick

                  It sounds like you're talking about a set-over center.
                  Still wouldn't do anything for you if you wanted internal tapers. Same problem as with the tailstock set over.

                  Dean
                • Rick Reyes
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 8, 2010
                    True but if we're talking about long tapers I doubt you'd could do a long internal taper anyhow. The taig just doesn't have the space to support a steady and still have enough travel on the carriage.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 9, 2010
                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Rick Reyes <aztaig@...> wrote:

                      > True but if we're talking about long tapers I doubt you'd could do a long internal taper anyhow. The taig just doesn't have the space to support a steady and still have enough travel on the carriage.

                      Really, it's all relative to the size of the machine. A four inch long internal taper is well within the Taig's range, with plenty of room for steady and carriage movement of that amount. You can't do that taper under any circumstance using the compound or tailstock. Could be done as a matter of course with a taper attachment.

                      It just depends on what you want to be able to do with your lathe.

                      Dean
                    • Adam Collins
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 10, 2010
                        Rick,

                        I second that motion!  I've drawn up a few ideas for one for my Sherline lathe, but I've got too much on my plate to start on that anytime in the near future.  I also don't have the skills or a website like Dean, so I'm sure his version-were he to build one-would be a much nicer and better crafted work of art than anything I'd be able to turn out at the present time (or anytime soon for that matter, I'm sure my skills are more than just a few years behind his).

                        HSM had a two- or three-part article on building/upgrading one for some particular model of lathe that looked pretty complex, but I'm sure it could be scaled down and simplified, with a few cross slide and carriage components modified or replaced to make a small version of it work.  Study some pics and videos of one in operation if you don't have a lathe with one or access to one to see how they operate; a plain taper attachment is really a pretty simple design...

                        Adam Collins

                        ________________________________
                        I think that there is a project in the future,...

                        Rick
                        This is one for a Logan, but most makers made them similar, if a bit more elaborate:
                        http://www.lathe com/images/ pl-taper. gif

                        When these are in use, the lead screw for the cross slide is disengaged, so the cross is free to slide back and forth. The taper plate at the back of the lathe is set for the wanted angle/taper per ft., and it has a shoe that follows it, which is in turn linked to the cross slide.

                        When the carriage moves toward the headstock, the shoe makes the cross slide follow the taper you have set on the back taper plate.

                        This setup also lets you cut long internal tapers. At least, as long as the length of your boring bar. For things like spindle tapers and such. Also will thread on a taper, internal or external.

                        The only reason we set over our tail stocks to cut a taper is because we don't have one of these things. Setting up a taper attachment is a lot less headache than setting over the tail, then having to re-clock it every time you need to do a little odd job.

                        Dean

                        --- In taigtools@yahoogrou ps.com, "Rick Kernell" <rickk1@...> wrote:

                        > Dean,
                        >
                        > Is this like the attachment that was on the Hardinge lathe that I sent photos of? It was attached behind the bed and aligned with the cross slide.
                        >
                        > Rick

                      • Adam Collins
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 10, 2010
                          Rick,

                          Thanks!  That's a great idea; even though my lathe is a Sherline, I've been trying to develop a compound slide that will work with it mounted from the front, able to use my QCTP tool holders, and without any riser blocks under the headstock.  You have definately come up with a great idea, I'll try to have to incorporate something similar when my project is completed...

                          I really appreciate the pics and info!  Thanks!

                          Sincerely,

                          Adam Collins