Using a magnetic base for dial indicator

  • crinz83
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi all... I just got back into using the Taig lathe, and am having fun. So I just got a magnetic base for my dial indicator, and have been tinkering around tonight with it. I've found that it can be put on the motor, and on the back of the bed for x/y measuring for the milling attachment. Question: is putting it on the back of the bed a bad idea? Will it cause damage... and I mean even the tiniest bit of damage? I can afford a new bed, but I'd rather keep this one for life.
      Thanks,
      Crinz
    • pe3hmp
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2010
        I see no dammage when I use it on the end of the bed, and even if there was a tiny bit of dammage thats were the tailstock goes so it would be no problem at all.
        Sometimes people say that what i'm doing is overkill, in this case with the huge magnetic base I think they are right
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/photos/album/428743419/pic/1853092016/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=61&count=20&dir=asc
        so I bought a smaller one
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/photos/album/428743419/pic/1315393317/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=61&count=20&dir=asc

        Mark

        Hi all... I just got back into using the Taig lathe, and am having fun. So I just got a magnetic base for my dial indicator, and have been tinkering around tonight with it. I've found that it can be put on the motor, and on the back of the bed for x/y measuring for the milling attachment. Question: is putting it on the back of the bed a bad idea? Will it cause damage... and I mean even the tiniest bit of damage? I can afford a new bed, but I'd rather keep this one for life.
        Thanks,
        Crinz

      • Dean
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2010
          If you would like to keep your bed nice, you can make a small steel plate to screw into the T-slots on the head stock. Could be used on the tail stock too.

          Dean

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "crinz83" <chrishendricks@...> wrote:

          > Hi all... I just got back into using the Taig lathe, and am having fun. So I just got a magnetic base for my dial indicator, and have been tinkering around tonight with it. I've found that it can be put on the motor, and on the back of the bed for x/y measuring for the milling attachment. Question: is putting it on the back of the bed a bad idea? Will it cause damage... and I mean even the tiniest bit of damage? I can afford a new bed, but I'd rather keep this one for life.
          > Thanks,
          > Crinz

        • pe3hmp
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
            Hmm I like that idea, tnx

            mark

            If you would like to keep your bed nice, you can make a small steel plate to screw into the T-slots on the head stock. Could be used on the tail stock too.

            Dean

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "crinz83" <chrishendricks@...> wrote:

            > Hi all... I just got back into using the Taig lathe, and am having fun. So I just got a magnetic base for my dial indicator, and have been tinkering around tonight with it. I've found that it can be put on the motor, and on the back of the bed for x/y measuring for the milling attachment. Question: is putting it on the back of the bed a bad idea? Will it cause damage... and I mean even the tiniest bit of damage? I can afford a new bed, but I'd rather keep this one for life.
            > Thanks,
            > Crinz

          • Bertho Boman
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
              To further extend Dean's idea, why not add a permanent nice-looking small
              mounting post on top of the head stock and get rid of the big and out of
              proportion magnetic base?
              Bertho
              ==================

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                I've run into the same problem. I have yet to find a magnetic arm that bends the way I want to have it bend too. I made a brass adapter to go in my spindle mount. It works as designed, but still exploring.

                ________________________________
                Hi all... I just got back into using the Taig lathe, and am having fun. So I just got a magnetic base for my dial indicator, and have been tinkering around tonight with it. I've found that it can be put on the motor, and on the back of the bed for x/y measuring for the milling attachment. Question: is putting it on the back of the bed a bad idea? Will it cause damage... and I mean even the tiniest bit of damage? I can afford a new bed, but I'd rather keep this one for life.
                Thanks,
                Crinz

              • Colin Reed
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                  On 2 March 2010 12:06, Will Schmit <anchornm@...> wrote:

                  > I've run into the same problem. I have yet to find a magnetic arm that
                  > bends the way I want to have it bend too. I made a brass adapter to go in my
                  > spindle mount. It works as designed, but still exploring.

                  Same issue here - there's always something getting in the way when I'm
                  trying to use a standard dti magnetic stand. I intend making one like Dean's
                  when I get some spare time

                  http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/indicatorstand/indicatorstand.html

                  Colin
                  --
                  www.reedx.net
                  skype: colin.reed

                • Bertho Boman
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Dean already did what I was suggesting with the permanent mounting post as
                    can be seen in the link below.
                    As usual, excellent work!
                    Bertho
                    ==============

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Yes as usual Dean makes a very nice page including pictures and clear description about how to make one yourselve.

                      mark

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                        Thank you for the nice comments, fellows.

                        Dean

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                          Dean, You and Bertho are my heroes. I'm not stretching a bit in saying that!

                          ________________________________
                          Thank you for the nice comments, fellows.

                          Dean

                          --- In taigtools@yahoogrou ps.com, "pe3hmp" <pe3hmp@...> wrote:

                          > Yes as usual Dean makes a very nice page including pictures and clear description about how to make one yourselve.
                          >
                          > mark

                        • Rick Kernell
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                            Dean is going to skin me alive for doing this!!! Sorry Dean...

                            I have tried to build up a library of books that are in the "How to..." genre. While there are good points in them, I always go to Dean's site to see how to do many of the little things that are left out of the others. As you all know, it is the "little things" that can make or break a project

                            If Dean were to publish a book of his projects, his procedures, and tips, would the people in the group be interested in owning it?

                            Please don't let my mouth overload your fanny, Dean, but I think that you have a lot to offer your fellows and I would stand in line to buy your book.

                            Rick Kernell
                            Dean, You and Bertho are my heroes. I'm not stretching a bit in saying that!

                            ________________________________
                            Thank you for the nice comments, fellows.

                            Dean

                            --- In taigtools@yahoogrou ps.com, "pe3hmp" <pe3hmp@...> wrote:

                            > Yes as usual Dean makes a very nice page including pictures and clear description about how to make one yourselve.
                            >
                            > mark

                          • pe3hmp
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                              You're welcome , I like going thru the pages of your site, some of the things I will never make(or can not make) but I like to see how it's made and how you solved some of the problems you encounter.

                              Mark

                              Thank you for the nice comments, fellows.

                              Dean

                              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pe3hmp" <pe3hmp@...> wrote:

                              > Yes as usual Dean makes a very nice page including pictures and clear description about how to make one yourselve.
                              >
                              > mark

                            • Michael
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "crinz83" <chrishendricks@...> wrote:

                                > Hi all... I just got back into using the Taig lathe, and am having fun. So I just got a magnetic base for my dial indicator, and have been tinkering around tonight with it. I've found that it can be put on the motor, and on the back of the bed for x/y measuring for the milling attachment. Question: is putting it on the back of the bed a bad idea? Will it cause damage... and I mean even the tiniest bit of damage? I can afford a new bed, but I'd rather keep this one for life.

                                I have no hope of producing anything of such quality as Dean or others do. So, my approach is akin to Kalashnikov: I have a metal plate runnig the length of the lathe behind it, sometimes with two magnetic bases in action (I did manage to attach an indicator to my cross-slide). Cost is pennies including time.
                              • crinz83
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                                  Hey, thanks guys... great responses, and some cool ideas.
                                  I'll probably be asking some more questions here as I progress (after doing searches first, of course).
                                  Crinz
                                • Dean
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Kernell" <rickk1@...> wrote:

                                    > Dean is going to skin me alive for doing this!!! Sorry Dean...

                                    Somebody get a knife...

                                    > Please don't let my mouth overload your fanny, Dean, but I think that you have a lot to offer your fellows and I would stand in line to buy your book.

                                    OR you can get it free on the interwebs!
                                    ;)

                                    (Rick and I have exchanged a lot of fun emails. I feel entitled to raz him a bit.)

                                    Dean
                                  • Dean
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mkoblic@...> wrote:

                                      > I have no hope of producing anything of such quality as Dean or others do.

                                      Don't sell yourself short, Michael. Every single blessed person on this planet started out knowing nothing. No exceptions.

                                      > So, my approach is akin to Kalashnikov: I have a metal plate runnig the length of the lathe behind it, sometimes with two magnetic bases in action (I did manage to attach an indicator to my cross-slide). Cost is pennies including time.

                                      This is a great idea, and very versatile. Thanks for the tip!

                                      Dean
                                    • Adam Collins
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                                        Excuse me guys,

                                        Sorry to stray off-topic here, but is this the same Dean from http://www.deansphotographica.com?

                                        (fingers crossed...)

                                        Adam Collins

                                        ________________________________
                                        Don't sell yourself short, Michael. Every single blessed person on this planet started out knowing nothing. No exceptions.

                                        This is a great idea, and very versatile. Thanks for the tip!

                                        Dean

                                      • Mike Nicewonger
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                                          yup.

                                          --
                                          Mike N.

                                          CEESA (Cranky Ex-Email Systems Admin)
                                        • pe3hmp
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 2, 2010
                                            Yes he is.

                                            mark

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 3, 2010
                                              Yes, that's me, Adam. Into cameras, are you?
                                              The machining pages are at this address:
                                              http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

                                              Dean

                                              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Adam Collins <rxforspeed@...> wrote:

                                              > Excuse me guys,
                                              >
                                              > Sorry to stray off-topic here, but is this the same Dean from http://www.deansphotographica.com?
                                              >
                                              > (fingers crossed...)
                                              >
                                              > Adam Collins

                                            • Adam Collins
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 3, 2010
                                                Dean,

                                                I'm not exactly into cameras, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the content in your Taig machining pages.  I've spent many hours reading and studying the work you've posted there and have been extremely impressed with the quality and ingenuity of your projects.  Your website has been an enormous inspiration to me since I stumbled upon it a few months back.  I just wanted to thank you for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us through your site...

                                                Sincerely,
                                                Adam Collins