RE: [taigtools] Re: lane manufacturing

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 5, 2010
      Hi Johnny -

      I use the stock Taig pulley set on my lathe and mill - the mill has a
      Sherline motor/controller, the lathe has a similar setup but assembled from
      components I bought separately (NOT Sherline, although the controller is
      made by the same people - the motor I used on the lathe is a servo motor &
      has a top speed that is about half that of the Sherline motor). The Sherline
      setup will give you a top speed of around 15,000 RPM on the Taig pulley set,
      which is a bit over the top for lathe use - this is why the Sherline pulley
      set only has 2 speeds. For most of my mill work I use the 3rd from slowest
      setting which tops out at just below 5000 RPM. The slowest pulley setting
      gives a range of about 150 to 1900 RPM; on the lathe I get about 70 to 1000
      RPM on the same settings.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 5, 2010
        Yes the motor mount base screws directly to the MC-60 heat sink body.

        Scott-
        > their taig motor and speed control sounds and looks like a nice
        > setup.....and not a bad price at $195.00...considering what other
        > motors
        > with speed controls are running......

        That's neat. It can be clearly seen in the photo gallery that their
        unit is based on the MC60 treadmill controller.

        --
        Mike N

        Heavily medicated for your protection.

      • Clif Lowry
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 5, 2010
          Russell,

          Check out Penn state industries; they sell a motor and speed control for
          approx a $100.00. Check Photos under Clif's stuff. Cheers, Clif

          _____

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 5, 2010
            Cliff...

            already ordered it Sunday ;-)....hopefully will be here Thursday or Friday......I was trying to find a nice treadmill motor and controller for a decent price but just couldn't put the two together at a good price...so I went with the Penn State motor and speed control...,both are together and/ on sale for  $99 bucks..plus shipping ..
              how are you pleased with yours?.................
            Russell

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 6, 2010
              I love mine, but don't throw out your current set-up -- you will need it to goof around with pulleys -- they are metric. I was lucky, I don't use the Taig step pulleys, so I used the taig set-up to bore the cog pulleys

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 6, 2010
                Thanks Tony. As always you have been most helpfull.

              • RDG
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Hey thanks Tony...I appreciate any and all direction help here :-)

                  Russell

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                    I've been completely satisfied. Clif

                    _____