Belt Noise - Mill

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
      My mill is in the garage where there's no heat or AC. I've noticed that as the weather has become colder, the belt is making noise. It's a loud snapping sound, and it's getting worse as the temperature goes down. I've tried adjusting the motor pulley and cleaning the belt and pulley grooves. Nothing seems to help much. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a cure other than heating the garage? The garage was upper 40s last night, and the belt sounded like it was gonna fly apart.

      Jack
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
        I've noticed that before...colder means the polyurethane is stiffer...
        For many reasons it's good to have the garage heated&insulated. The lube
        on the machine thickens up, the aluminum expands and contracts, moisture
        can condense on the machine, etc. For me the most important thing is I
        find it hard to work when my hands are numb!

        --
        felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein. See our
        homepage at www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
          lol, same here, I like to have heath, light and sound when making stuff.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
            I bought a milk-house heater at Home Depot ($29.00)
            I start it up at 4:30am, go make breakfast, then around 9, I check the temp.
            It hasn't gotten above freezing in a couple of days, so I was afraid I wouldn't get my projects going this week.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
              Don't know what that is, but I don't have enough electricity capacity to run the mill and computer in addition to a 1,000W or so electric heater. Looks like I'll need to search Craigslist for a used propane space heater and tank.

              Funny, I ride a motorcycle to work even when temps are in the 20s. Can't use the mill though when it hits 50. Go figure. :(

              Jack

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
                Once my shop is warmed, the heat from the equipment will keep it warm.
                The trick is to get everything warm and "loose".
                My whole machine shop is in a well insulated 20ft Conex container.
                It doesn't take much to make it comfortable for me -- but the machinery likes it warm for hours.

                The trick is MASS. The more stuff you warm up -- the warmer it will stay.
                There is a great tool, that looks like a radiator. It is filled with oil, and doesn't consume more than 1300 watts. Run it at night, then kill it when you start up the other stuff.

                Watch out for carbon monoxide. Bad news!

                ________________________________
                Don't know what that is, but I don't have enough electricity capacity to run the mill and computer in addition to a 1,000W or so electric heater. Looks like I'll need to search Craigslist for a used propane space heater and tank.

                Funny, I ride a motorcycle to work even when temps are in the 20s. Can't use the mill though when it hits 50. Go figure. :(

                Jack

                --- In taigtools@yahoogrou ps.com, Will Schmit <anchornm@.. .> wrote:

                > I bought a milk-house heater at Home Depot ($29.00)
                > I start it up at 4:30am, go make breakfast, then around 9, I check the temp.
                > It hasn't gotten above freezing in a couple of days, so I was afraid I wouldn't get my projects going this week.
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Ken Cline
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
                  Ditto on the CO warning. I added circuits on separate phases from the mains and have no trouble running a cheap compressor, mill, computer, and air filter simultaneously. I had my electrician do the work and it was a quick job, so not outrageously expensive. Put the computer on a UPS if necessary.

                  Regarding your belt noise: My experience is that the noise only lasts a short while before the belt turns inside out and becomes useless. It may not be recommended practice, but I rub the belt with an oily rag when that happens and it usually settles down. Careful alignment of the pulley has helped a lot. 50F should be no problem.

                  On 5 Dec 2009, at 4:55 PM, Jack wrote:

                  > Don't know what that is, but I don't have enough electricity capacity to run the mill and computer in addition to a 1,000W or so electric heater. Looks like I'll need to search Craigslist for a used propane space heater and tank.
                  >
                  > Funny, I ride a motorcycle to work even when temps are in the 20s. Can't use the mill though when it hits 50. Go figure. :(

                • Jeff Demand
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 6, 2009
                    Jack,

                    A bigger and faster computer is a good source of heat. An old New England
                    farm house with heat only on the main floor. Silly computer still keeps it
                    toasty upstairs and requires the summer AC when still not very warm
                    outside. Basement studio is damned chilly, I might use 500W of carefully
                    directed (at my body) heat when it gets really cold. No way am I going to
                    heat the entire space. Mill runs just fine at 45-50�F, I don't any more.

                    jeffD

                    >Don't know what that is, but I don't have enough electricity capacity to
                    >run the mill and computer in addition to a 1,000W or so electric heater.
                    >Looks like I'll need to search Craigslist for a used propane space heater
                    >and tank.
                    >
                    >Funny, I ride a motorcycle to work even when temps are in the 20s. Can't
                    >use the mill though when it hits 50. Go figure. :(
                    >
                    >Jack

                    -
                    Demand Designs
                    Analog/Digital Modelling & Goldsmithing

                    http://www.gmavt.net/~jdemand
                    jdemand@...
                    -
                  • Jack
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 6, 2009
                      Maybe the problem isn't what I think it is. You and Ken are both operating at roughly the same temperature that seems to be causing the problem for me. Ken's technique of wiping down the belt from time to time is something I've done too, although not with an oily rag. I usually remove the belt and clean it off with mineral spirits, then clean out the pulley grooves the same way. This quiets the belt for awhile. Guess I should try a few other things before rushing out to buy a propane system.

                      Jack

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Demand" <jdemand@...> wrote:

                      > Jack,
                      >
                      > A bigger and faster computer is a good source of heat. An old New England
                      > farm house with heat only on the main floor. Silly computer still keeps it
                      > toasty upstairs and requires the summer AC when still not very warm
                      > outside. Basement studio is damned chilly, I might use 500W of carefully
                      > directed (at my body) heat when it gets really cold. No way am I going to
                      > heat the entire space. Mill runs just fine at 45-50°F, I don't any more.
                      >
                      > jeffD

                    • Mike Nicewonger
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 6, 2009
                        Jack,

                        I might have missed this in a previous post to your thread...

                        Didja try a new belt?

                        On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Jack wrote:

                        > Maybe the problem isn't what I think it is. You and Ken are both
                        > operating at roughly the same temperature that seems to be causing
                        > the problem for me. Ken's technique of wiping down the belt from
                        > time to time is something I've done too, although not with an oily
                        > rag. I usually remove the belt and clean it off with mineral
                        > spirits, then clean out the pulley grooves the same way. This
                        > quiets the belt for awhile. Guess I should try a few other things
                        > before rushing out to buy a propane system.

                        --
                        Mike N

                        He who dies with the most toys is still dead.
                      • Don Rogers
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 6, 2009
                          A canvas or heavy plastic tent over the mill with a 40w light under the tent
                          will keep things warm and dry. Just make sure the light is well away from
                          the tent sides,

                          One other thought, take the belt off and keep it warm in the house until
                          it's time to cut. I wouldn't put oil on it, that will just promote slippage
                          and pulley burn damage to the belt..

                          This cold weather talk brings up the memory of building my house in New
                          York. I was trimming out the inside by winter, and going out to the garage
                          and cutting a piece on the radial arm saw when it was 10 below was a real
                          joy. The air off the blade felt like an extension of the blade. It felt like
                          it was cutting my fingers off. I refuse to wear gloves any time I'm working
                          with machinery.

                        • Jeff Demand
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 6, 2009
                            Don.

                            Winter in New England sure is charming, and I'm probably a bit further
                            north than you were. Any time there was much trim to do I just hauled the
                            saw inside, mess and dust be damned.

                            Winter is a good time to cut and haul wood. Go out when it's almost too
                            cold to breath wearing just a sweatshirt or light jacket. Damn right about
                            gloves although I will wear them when using a chain saw at -20�.

                            Otherwise just go out and play in the snow and have a nice warm fire
                            waiting inside.

                            jeffD

                            -
                            Demand Designs
                            Analog/Digital Modelling & Goldsmithing

                            http://www.gmavt.net/~jdemand
                            jdemand@...
                            -
                          • Lou Somers Sr
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 6, 2009
                              Did you try bringing the mill into a heated room for a few hours to give everything time to warm up then see if noise is still present?

                              ________________________________
                              Maybe the problem isn't what I think it is. You and Ken are both operating at roughly the same temperature that seems to be causing the problem for me. Ken's technique of wiping down the belt from time to time is something I've done too, although not with an oily rag. I usually remove the belt and clean it off with mineral spirits, then clean out the pulley grooves the same way. This quiets the belt for awhile. Guess I should try a few other things before rushing out to buy a propane system.

                              Jack

                              --- In taigtools@yahoogrou ps.com, "Jeff Demand" <jdemand@... > wrote:

                              > Jack,
                              >
                              > A bigger and faster computer is a good source of heat. An old New England
                              > farm house with heat only on the main floor. Silly computer still keeps it
                              > toasty upstairs and requires the summer AC when still not very warm
                              > outside. Basement studio is damned chilly, I might use 500W of carefully
                              > directed (at my body) heat when it gets really cold. No way am I going to
                              > heat the entire space. Mill runs just fine at 45-50°F, I don't any more.
                              >
                              > jeffD

                            • Douglas Vogt
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 6, 2009
                                I'd try bringing in just the belt first. In trying to debug my first set up of a Taig CNC mill, I lugged the thing upstairs from the basement to hook to a newer computer and about killed myself - A fully motorized Taig is heavy!

                                My basement is barely heated and is about at ground level so at the first hint of a problem as the days get colder, out comes the heat gun. Maybe a spotlight on the belt as well as the cutter. A toaster may be overkill.

                                ________________________________
                                Did you try bringing the mill into a heated room for a few hours to give everything time to warm up then see if noise is still present?

                                ____________ _________ _________ __
                                Maybe the problem isn't what I think it is. You and Ken are both operating at roughly the same temperature that seems to be causing the problem for me. Ken's technique of wiping down the belt from time to time is something I've done too, although not with an oily rag. I usually remove the belt and clean it off with mineral spirits, then clean out the pulley grooves the same way. This quiets the belt for awhile. Guess I should try a few other things before rushing out to buy a propane system.

                                Jack

                                --- In taigtools@yahoogrou ps.com, "Jeff Demand" <jdemand@... > wrote:

                                > Jack,
                                >
                                > A bigger and faster computer is a good source of heat. An old New England
                                > farm house with heat only on the main floor. Silly computer still keeps it
                                > toasty upstairs and requires the summer AC when still not very warm
                                > outside. Basement studio is damned chilly, I might use 500W of carefully
                                > directed (at my body) heat when it gets really cold. No way am I going to
                                > heat the entire space. Mill runs just fine at 45-50°F, I don't any more.
                                >
                                > jeffD

                              • Jack
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 11, 2009
                                  You didn't miss it. I tried it last night and it's quiet now. Doh! OK, I gotta ask, how long do these belts last? The belt I removed is the one that came with the mill, probably has about 100 hours on it. Is that a lot?

                                  Jack

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 11, 2009
                                    Well... How about that....

                                    Sometimes the simplest things can turn into a monster...

                                    Glad you got it sorted out. Cannot answer you about belt life. I have
                                    no idea how much time is on my mill...

                                    I do not like that little belt though. I'm sure I'm just being a
                                    picky so-n-so. However I am gathering the parts and tools to make a
                                    pair of new pulleys to fit a DC drive setup I'm installing on the
                                    mill. I am going with a 2L series belt (1/4" wide 1/8" thick) for
                                    this setup.

                                    BTW, my first accessories order from Nick included a spare belt.

                                    ;-)

                                    --
                                    Mike N

                                    I'm not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.