Taig mill set-up

  • cvonderborch
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi, I have just received (in my remote corner of rural Tasmania!!) all the components of a Taig 2000 mill: the CNC-ready mill, a Gecko540, 3 steppers (un-wired and un-attached as yet), and the power supply (240V here).

      I don't want to make any mistakes! I need some source of info on what to do in the following areas:

      (1) How to attach the 3 steppers (not sure how to set up the screw-on pieces, the "ring" with its lock-screw etc.) I think I understand the weak link setup with the nylon tubeing.
      (2) How to wire the steppers from the 3 Gecko plugs..several colour-coded wires on each stepper (red, white, green and black from memory)...where do I join these to each plug?? And how?? are they tiny solder-on joins, or is a special crimping tool required? The wiring "posts" on each (X,Y&Z) plug on the Gecko are numbered:1 to 9). To which do I attach the coloured wires, in other words?
      (3)What function is the "trim" facility on the Gecko? There is one for each axis.
      (4) What does the "charge" and "Pump" switch on the Gecko do?
      (5) I assume the parallel port on the Gecko simply attaches to the computers port with a standard port to port connector, without modification.
      (6) Finally (phew!!) on the Gecko 540, what are the 12 ?wiring holes which are in a row on the side of the Gecko...each with a screw underneath? What are these?

      I would really appreciate help in these areas. Hobart and the nearest electronics guru are 100Km away from where I live!

      Regards, Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
        There are lots of experts available, I had Jeff Birt of soigeneris.com make up all my cables.  My machine works like a dream.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hey Chris,

          I'll see how much I can help ya out.  First off, go to gecko's website and download the reference materials for the G540..  Gecko documentation is rather good - they have an initial setup document, as well as a user reference - just take a look to familiarize yourself with the controller, ports, inputs, and outputs.

          Next thing, we'll have to know what type of motors you've got..  Make/model, wire count, and someone can probably tell ya what sort of configuration you'll need to use the G540.  Regardless, I think the gecko reference material will go far in answers your questions, I copied the link below:

          http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?c=3&i=14469

          Goodluck and enjoy - sounds like you've got a nice setup, just needs to get put together, which is a fun part too.

          Brian,

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
            cvonderborch wrote:
            > Hi, I have just received (in my remote corner of rural Tasmania!!) all the components of a Taig 2000 mill: the CNC-ready mill, a Gecko540, 3 steppers (un-wired and un-attached as yet), and the power supply (240V here).
            >
            > I don't want to make any mistakes! I need some source of info on what to do in the following areas:
            >
            > (1) How to attach the 3 steppers (not sure how to set up the screw-on pieces, the "ring" with its lock-screw etc.) I think I understand the weak link setup with the nylon tubeing.
            That is the easy one ...
            http://www.cartertools.com/mounts.html
            http://www.cartertools.com/ has many other useful articles on the mill.

            > (2) How to wire the steppers from the 3 Gecko plugs..several colour-coded wires on each stepper (red, white, green and black from memory)...where do I join these to each plug?? And how?? are they tiny solder-on joins, or is a special crimping tool required? The wiring "posts" on each (X,Y&Z) plug on the Gecko are numbered:1 to 9). To which do I attach the coloured wires, in other words?
            > (3)What function is the "trim" facility on the Gecko? There is one for each axis.
            > (4) What does the "charge" and "Pump" switch on the Gecko do?
            > (5) I assume the parallel port on the Gecko simply attaches to the computers port with a standard port to port connector, without modification.
            > (6) Finally (phew!!) on the Gecko 540, what are the 12 ?wiring holes which are in a row on the side of the Gecko...each with a screw underneath? What are these?

            Since I supply all my kits already wired, this side is more difficult. Who ever
            supplied the motors SHOULD have provided notes on how to wire them :(

            --
            Lester Caine - G8HFL
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
              Many thanks for the great advice; I now can access some info for digestion (tho' I may need to take some antacid tablets to help it all along!!).

              Chris
            • Jack
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2009
                Photos/instructions for the motor mounts and coupling can be found online at both Carter Tools and Deepgroove.

                Jack