RE: [taigtools] making ball bearings

  • Forrest A
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
      Why make them when there are so many available, ready to use?

      FBA

      To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
      From: lhein@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:37:55 -0700
      Subject: [taigtools] making ball bearings

      Hi all

      I'm wondering if I can make my own ball bearings on the principle of bicycle wheel bearings using balls ordered from MSC?
      Thanks

      Lewis Hein

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
        I think he means the cone and cup but with bought balls.
        For a long time it was used in bicycles because it is easier to manufacture than a bearing in a race, some companies (notably shimano) still use cone and cup rather than standard ball races.

        you cold make them quite easily, but the metal has to be hardened or it will wear out very quickly.
        cones are machined and/or ground, and cups are either machined and ground, or the cheaper ones are just stamped in to shape and then hardened
        before they are press fit in to the hub shell.

        > To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
        > From: atkinon@...
        > Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:23:37 -0600
        > Subject: RE: [taigtools] making ball bearings
        >

        > Why make them when there are so many available, ready to use?
        >
        > FBA
        >

        > To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
        > From: lhein@...
        > Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:37:55 -0700
        > Subject: [taigtools] making ball bearings
        >

        > Hi all
        >
        > I'm wondering if I can make my own ball bearings on the principle of bicycle wheel bearings using balls ordered from MSC?
        > Thanks
        >
        > Lewis Hein

      • greg.mcfadden
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
          Proper hardening is not terrifically expensive for steel, for small lots I
          have seen prices in the 100-200$ range. That is still quite a bit of money
          compared to buying off the shelf parts. One should also consider whether
          grinding is required to produce an adequate surface finish.

          -Greg

          On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:46 AM, <d_fex@...> wrote:

          > I think he means the cone and cup but with bought balls.
          > For a long time it was used in bicycles because it is easier to manufacture
          > than a bearing in a race, some companies (notably shimano) still use cone
          > and cup rather than standard ball races.
          >
          > you cold make them quite easily, but the metal has to be hardened or it
          > will wear out very quickly.
          > cones are machined and/or ground, and cups are either machined and ground,
          > or the cheaper ones are just stamped in to shape and then hardened
          > before they are press fit in to the hub shell.
          >
          > > To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com <taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > From: atkinon@... <atkinon%40hotmail.com>
          > > Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:23:37 -0600
          > > Subject: RE: [taigtools] making ball bearings
          >

          > > Why make them when there are so many available, ready to use?
          > >
          > > FBA
          > >

          > > To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com <taigtools%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > From: lhein@... <lhein%40vcn.com>
          > > Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:37:55 -0700
          > > Subject: [taigtools] making ball bearings
          > >

          > > Hi all
          > >
          > > I'm wondering if I can make my own ball bearings on the principle of
          > bicycle wheel bearings using balls ordered from MSC?
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Lewis Hein

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jeff Demand
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
            Cone and cup bearings would be a lot easier than races. But still a hell of
            a lot of unless you have a REALLY good reason. Whenever I buy bearings I am
            still amazed at what I get for so little $$. A couple of small bearings
            (bad purchase choice) are often less than cheap ground shipping.

            jeffD

            >I think he means the cone and cup but with bought balls.
            >For a long time it was used in bicycles because it is easier to
            >manufacture than a bearing in a race, some companies (notably shimano)
            >still use cone and cup rather than standard ball races.
            >
            >you cold make them quite easily, but the metal has to be hardened or it
            >will wear out very quickly.
            >cones are machined and/or ground, and cups are either machined and ground,
            >or the cheaper ones are just stamped in to shape and then hardened
            >before they are press fit in to the hub shell.
            >
            >> To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
            >> From: atkinon@...
            >> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:23:37 -0600
            >> Subject: RE: [taigtools] making ball bearings
            >>

            >> Why make them when there are so many available, ready to use?
            >>
            >> FBA
            >>

            >> To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
            >> From: lhein@...
            >> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:37:55 -0700
            >> Subject: [taigtools] making ball bearings
            >>

            >> Hi all
            >>
            >> I'm wondering if I can make my own ball bearings on the principle of
            >bicycle wheel bearings using balls ordered from MSC?
            >> Thanks
            >>
            >> Lewis Hein

            -
            Demand Designs
            Analog/Digital Modelling & Goldsmithing

            http://www.gmavt.net/~jdemand
            jdemand@...
            -
          • Forrest A
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
              Some bicycle hubs have insert cups so you could press/machine out the cup and use the whole bearing (cup, bearings and race). To make your own is still not cost/time effective in my mind. I, however, in low pressure load cases, have made my own roller bearings with great success. Given the concentrated load of free bearing systems the hardening process is very crucial. Finishing the surfaces requires some specialized grinding setups to get the geometry right. Companys like Shimano can aford the setup time and equipment required to get it right because they make hundereds of thousands in one run.

              Now, you can make your own and should not be scared off from trying. Someone says it can't be done is just the reason to do it... The end result is truely yours if you go through with it.

              FBA

              To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
              From: d_fex@...
              Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:46:29 +0000
              Subject: RE: [taigtools] making ball bearings

              I think he means the cone and cup but with bought balls.
              For a long time it was used in bicycles because it is easier to manufacture than a bearing in a race, some companies (notably shimano) still use cone and cup rather than standard ball races.

              you cold make them quite easily, but the metal has to be hardened or it will wear out very quickly.
              cones are machined and/or ground, and cups are either machined and ground, or the cheaper ones are just stamped in to shape and then hardened
              before they are press fit in to the hub shell.

              > To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
              > From: atkinon@...
              > Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:23:37 -0600
              > Subject: RE: [taigtools] making ball bearings
              >

              > Why make them when there are so many available, ready to use?
              >
              > FBA
              >

              > To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
              > From: lhein@...
              > Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:37:55 -0700
              > Subject: [taigtools] making ball bearings
              >

              > Hi all
              >
              > I'm wondering if I can make my own ball bearings on the principle of bicycle wheel bearings using balls ordered from MSC?
              > Thanks
              >
              > Lewis Hein

              Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live.
              http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?cbid=wl&filt=200,2400,10,19,1,3,1,7,50,650,2,12,0,1000&cat=1,2,3,4,5,6&brands=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16&addf=4,5,9&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen2:112009

            • Lewis hein
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2009
                Hi all
                yes I mean the bearings with a cone and cup.also Forrest I believe you said
                you have made your own roller bearings. could you send more details on how
                you made them?
                Thanks

                Lewis hein