Re: Deal alert

  • kd006
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 31, 2009
      Rick, I am actualy glad it's not heavier construction I just lugged the bottom cabinet out to my job site trailer about 100' from the driveway and got it up on the landing of the steps. I think perhaps a couple holes through the bottom of the mid case and top case and some short 10-32 bolts and nuts would hold things together. I will probably attach a couple of bits of aircraft cable from the rear sides into a stud also. Several years ago I got about 100 pieces of plastic coated cable with a crimped loop on each end, they seem to end up tethering things like wall hung speakers etc so they don't fall in a quake.

      I also picked up the 200+ socket & wrench set for $99 while I was there, not sure if that was the limited special or all weekend. When I moved from NJ years back I sold my rollaway and most of the tools only kept the odds and ends which never fit whatever I am trying to do. I was pleasantly suprised to see "Made in USA" on the hand tools at least.

      Now I can use my Kenedy box for the delicate stuff like measuring tools.

      And yes I am what is called an "enabler"! Now I have to go looking for some drawer liner, my sears had none in stock but I may either try to catch a tool dealer on their rounds or order online and get shipped to store.

      Cheers,

      Kristin

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Rick Voegelin <rickvoegelin@...> wrote:

      > Kristin,
      >
      > Thanks for the heads-up on this. It is a screamin' deal. I picked up a
      > set Saturday morning. Wonder of wonders, the clerk actually went back to
      > the storeroom to make sure that all three pieces were in stock before
      > ringing up the sale. I was shocked.
      >
      > It's pretty lightweight construction with plain steel slides -- but
      > better quality than the HF stuff. I wouldn't want to store a full set
      > 3/4" sockets and a pneumatic gun in any of the drawers, but it's darn
      > near perfect for my Taig tooling, model-making supplies, and airbrush
      > supplies.
      >
      > A couple of things I noted while assembling: There's nothing to register
      > the tool box on top of the intermediate drawers. It's just supposed to
      > perch there, I guess. Living in California, where the earth sometimes
      > moves without warning, I'm going to add some aluminum straps to anchor
      > the toolbox. Also there's no handle on the roll-around, which makes it
      > tough to wheel it around in my garage workshop. A bit of steel bar and a
      > couple of bolts will fix that.
      >
      > Although the tool box was cheap (I paid a few pennies under $200 for it,
      > plus $18.50 for bankrupt California), with all of these new drawers to
      > fill up, I can foresee lots of small, expensive packages arriving from
      > LMS, Enco, MSC, etc. Kristin, I believe that you are officially what
      > the counseling folks call an "enabler" now.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Rick V.
      >

      > > From 5PM today till noon tomorrow Sears has a 3 piece rollaway tool chest on sale <$200 What a great place to stow all your tools, Taig parts etc.
      > >
      > > I have one on hold and am calling in a few min to give my CC number and pick one up tomorrow. Probably not the best in the world but it beats some of the cheap ones out there.
      > >
      > > Kristin

    • Rick Voegelin
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
        Kristin,

        Before you spend the big bucks on drawer liner from a tool vendor, take
        a look in the Housewares department at WalMart. I bought a 20" x 12'
        roll of black Duck "Select EasyLiner" non-adhesive shelf liner for about
        half of what Sears gets for a shorter piece of drawer liner. One
        screamin' bargain deserves another!

        Thanks,
        Rick V.

        > And yes I am what is called an "enabler"! Now I have to go looking for some drawer liner, my sears had none in stock but I may either try to catch a tool dealer on their rounds or order online and get shipped to store.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Kristin
      • Patrick Head
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
          Kristin,

          Do you have the model number of this tool chest combo?

          Patrick T. Head
          patrick_head46035@...

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
            Rick,

            I am getting ready to head out to wally world, after looking at the prices of the shelf liner at sears, msc, enco I decided I can live with the walmart stuff! I also need to stop by the traveling tool sale at the american legion they had cheap sets of socket holders 1/4,3/8,1/2 for $2.49, not great but will do to keep things from rolling around and in order. Nearly went blind sorting the socket set, for some reason there were 4 or 5 bags and mixed imperial, metric and 1/4-3/8 in each.

            The top and mid box I found were already drilled for bolts, I added a couple of sheet metal screws to lock it to the base. The metal is suprisingly tough, tried to use a selfdrilling screw and had to drill pilot holes.

            Kristin

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Rick Voegelin <rickvoegelin@...> wrote:

            > Kristin,
            >
            > Before you spend the big bucks on drawer liner from a tool vendor, take
            > a look in the Housewares department at WalMart. I bought a 20" x 12'
            > roll of black Duck "Select EasyLiner" non-adhesive shelf liner for about
            > half of what Sears gets for a shorter piece of drawer liner. One
            > screamin' bargain deserves another!
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Rick V.
            >
            > > And yes I am what is called an "enabler"! Now I have to go looking for some drawer liner, my sears had none in stock but I may either try to catch a tool dealer on their rounds or order online and get shipped to store.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > Kristin

          • Richard Hutchinson
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
              I found some carpet runner at the local ACE store 48" wide.

              Both black rubber for $2.99 and clear vinyl for $3.99 foot.

              Cheap shelf and bench top cover too.

              There's also that green fake grass stuff for the floor.

            • Don Rogers
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                Harbor freight sells big rolls of the waffle weave. I use a lot of it, not
                just for drawers, but also as a non-skid temp covering on my bench.

              • Steve Blackmore
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                  On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 08:41:13 -0800, you wrote:

                  >Kristin,
                  >
                  >Before you spend the big bucks on drawer liner from a tool vendor, take
                  >a look in the Housewares department at WalMart. I bought a 20" x 12'
                  >roll of black Duck "Select EasyLiner" non-adhesive shelf liner for about
                  >half of what Sears gets for a shorter piece of drawer liner. One
                  >screamin' bargain deserves another!

                  Be very careful with non slip liner, some types cause corrosion on tool
                  steel...

                  Steve Blackmore
                  --
                • kd006
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                    Steve,

                    What is the Litmus test for this? Are the materials acidic or basic? Or is it just that they are open cell foam vs. the closed cell polyurethane real drawer liners are made of?

                    Kristin

                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:

                    > On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 08:41:13 -0800, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >Kristin,
                    > >
                    > >Before you spend the big bucks on drawer liner from a tool vendor, take
                    > >a look in the Housewares department at WalMart. I bought a 20" x 12'
                    > >roll of black Duck "Select EasyLiner" non-adhesive shelf liner for about
                    > >half of what Sears gets for a shorter piece of drawer liner. One
                    > >screamin' bargain deserves another!
                    >
                    > Be very careful with non slip liner, some types cause corrosion on tool
                    > steel...
                    >
                    > Steve Blackmore
                    > --

                  • Jack
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                      The best liner material has always been wool felt.

                      Jack

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:

                      > Be very careful with non slip liner, some types cause corrosion on tool
                      > steel...
                      >
                      > Steve Blackmore
                      > --

                    • Steve Blackmore
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                        On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:14:57 -0000, you wrote:

                        >What is the Litmus test for this? Are the materials acidic or basic? Or is it just that they are open cell foam vs. the closed cell polyurethane real drawer liners are made of?

                        Closed cell - probably something acidic in the black dye.

                        Steve Blackmore
                        --
                      • kd006
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                          Jack,

                          Have you seen the price of wool felt lately, must be spun gold. One old timer I knew always kept mothballs in his tool cabinet to prevent rust, not sure if the new-fangled ones are the same or not.

                          Kristin

                          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <tech.writer@...> wrote:

                          > The best liner material has always been wool felt.
                          >
                          > Jack
                          >
                          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Be very careful with non slip liner, some types cause corrosion on tool
                          > > steel...
                          > >
                          > > Steve Blackmore
                          > > --

                        • Jack
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 4, 2009
                            I know, it's not cheap. There's really not much substitute for a long-term solution, though. Everything else eventually decomposes. I'm getting ready to order some to line an oak album cabinet that I built recently.