Re: [taigtools] Re: Quick sanity check...

  • Mike Nicewonger
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
      I'm finding myself unable to sleep tonight...

      On Oct 1, 2009, at 2:18 AM, Dean wrote:

      > Tell us the other two dimensions of the bar, Mike. Knowing how big
      > a piece we have to work with may bring up some clamping solutions.

      .250" x .375" The bevel (30 deg) will be cut into the narrow edge (.
      250 edge) I don't have the end numbers handy but I do remember the
      thin dim will end up at ~.200"

      > You may be looking at doing something like clamping two sides in
      > order to mill an initial flat on one surface to get the ball
      > rolling. It might not be best to actually try to clamp it flat to
      > the mill table, but to squeeze the sides of the piece only enough
      > to hold it, while not necessarily trying to squeeze it flat. Could
      > tale a couple of rotations to end up with a square piece.

      I need to have a look at the other edges before I make this more
      complex than it needs to be.

      --
      Mike N

      The only free lunch is in the mouse trap. If you are the second mouse.
    • Mike Nicewonger
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
        Accuracy matters on this part.

        --
        Mike N

        As I get older I think more and more about the hereafter.
        I walk into a room, and think, 'now what was it that I'm here after?'
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
          ...in which case, your only option is to start by bending/machining the piece till it is
          straight. Not as straightforward as it sounds - as has been observed, as soon as you clamp
          the material you are likely to cause it to flex.

          One approach that can work well with brass is to soft solder it to a sub-plate (also of
          brass, or something that will take soft solder) that is known to be flat & won't deflect
          when you clamp it to the mill table. You can then machine the bar as you desire, and
          release it by re-flowing the solder when you're done. The solder can be cleaned off
          afterwards.

          On Oct 1, 2009, at 2:31 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:

          > I guess the first question is whether the bevel is needed to be
          > accurate or whether its
          > one of those "that looks about right" exercises. If the latter,
          > then you might find it
          > easier to use a cruder technique - do the bevel on a belt sander,
          > for example, where you
          > can see the result and adjust accordingly.

          --
          Mike N

          As I get older I think more and more about the hereafter.
          I walk into a room, and think, 'now what was it that I'm here after?'

          Yahoo! Groups Links