[taigtools] Re: Motor Problem

  • Charlie Carlisle
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 31, 2000
      Ahh! The Motor SAGA (Or Drama?). Thanks, Lewis, for this incredible
      list. You might take up a second occupation. "Thing Finder" -
      Somebody wants something and you find it. Finders Fee, of course. I
      followed the sad loss you suffered (motor) on the 7X10 group and that's
      how I knew you started this group. Well here's my motor situation.

      I've got several asian motors - some are out of balance and vibrate
      like crazy, some just have bad bearings and I've fixed up two which
      might be candidates for the Taig. All are induction motors. I used
      the reference at Jose's web site, called Surplus Center, and got the
      Universal (series wound) treadmill motor/controller. I've wired it up
      and ran it (no load) and it is a very smooth quiet motor. Got several
      questions about this motor that I think some of you guys have already
      solved. Later on that. I bought a small gearhead 90V DC motor on
      e-bay to try in the low RPM range and called Surplus Center back to get
      their DC speed controller (which was discussed a little on the 7X10
      group postings). The Motor ran fine (no load) on my 12V truck battery
      and the controller from Surplus Center just came in the door from UPS.
      We'll see how that goes. I also have a 130V DC motor (Bodine) which
      I'm working on but it looks like the most promising one is the
      treadmill motor. Finally I've been playing around with Car Starters,
      especially the PM ones with their planetary gear systems. Of couse
      these things would need a lot of modifications.

      Now somebody over at the 7X10 group tried to read the tach output from
      the treadmill motor and I thought he was going to put together an RPM
      display or something but I never saw a follow-up on that. Also Jose
      mounted his motor via the motor frame and I thought I'd try using the
      resilient rubber rings provided on the motor. The provided fan blade
      pushes air into the motor instead of drawing air through the motor but
      I haven't heard anyone complain of overheating problems even at low
      speeds. Still I'd like to chat with some real owner/users of this
      motor. What are people using for fan shrouds? What do you plan to
      use? Jose also used a 3:1 reduction pulley (I think) so he could get
      the speed down on his 7X10. What do you think about that idea and why
      (or when) does he need the low RPM's. The speed pot is very non-linear
      and the speed adjustment is quite coarse in the higher RPM range. I'm
      considering putting a 500ohm precision pot in series to fine tune it
      but would appreciate hearing from a guru who has already dealt with
      this problem.

      Well, etc. etc. Thanks again for the inputs - I was watching most of
      these e-Bay auctions and won't be bidding against you since I'm up to
      my eyeballs in motors right now. Charlie.

      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/taigtools/?start=22

    • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
      Message 38 of 38 , May 31, 2000
        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See the Taig
        Lathe pages at http://www.proaxis.com/~taig
        > Btw, anyone know of a quick and easy (dirty?) way to make up a
        > C-spanner for the leadscrew dial backplates? The backlash on the
        > top-slide and cross-slide dials is something shocking on my setup (the
        > vertical milling attachment has escaped unscathed so far...).
        The crosslide screw is loctited (red -heat needed) to the handwheel, be very
        careful adjusting these, as you can bend or snap them off easily. It may be
        that you just need new nuts, which are certainly easier to replace.