Re: [taigtools] Idle Current Reduction

  • Ken Cline
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 7, 2009
      Neither idle current reduction nor motor fans should be needed. At
      least I don't need them with ~3A of current going to each motor.

      For what its worth, I started out with some <200 oz-in motors and
      found them lacking. Now I'm running 250-280 oz-in, and am much
      happier with the results.

      On 7 Aug 2009, at 12:36 PM, noisillator wrote:

      > How important is idle current reduction for steppers of the size
      > typically used in the Taig mill (160-300 oz-in)? I'm considering the
      > Keling KL-6050 drivers, but they don't have this feature. I'll
      > probably mount a small fan (like a CPU fan) on each motor, so I'm
      > thinking heat won't be an issue. On a related note, are there any
      > opinions here, good or bad, about buying from Keling?

    • noisillator
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 18, 2009
        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Ken Cline <cline@...> wrote:

        > I hope this doesn't sound mean, but it sounds as though you are
        > solving nonexistent problems again. The Gecko drive does not need a
        > soft start.

        The slow start circuit (Gecko misc circuits) is to protect my PS components. The transformer is huge, originally used in a 13.8V 60A supply, so inrush current is substantial. There's a loud thump when it's first turned on, and it blew the 12A Slo-Blo fuse in my variac yesterday.

        > Also, it drains my supply (with 64,000 uF of capacitance)
        > in about 20 seconds, and has an LED that will go out when it is safe
        > to swap motors. Maybe add an LED & resistor to your power supply if
        > you want an independent indication of PS voltage.

        I want an E-Stop system that's fail-safe and will stop everything immediately (or as close to immediately as is practical). The Gecko-suggested circuit (Gecko app notes) will drain the supply to about 10% of its value in less than 1/2 second. I'll also use the circuit to trigger a relay that shuts off AC to the spindle motor, as well as shutting down the software.

        > Consider adjusting everything on your mill (gibs, lead nuts, column,
        > headstock) before using your mill in earnest. Mine was way out of
        > tune when it was delivered, and even if yours is in great shape you'll
        > learn a lot that will be useful as you work with it.
        >
        > Ken

        That's a good idea. I was thinking I might need to do that even if it's reasonably well aligned. I'm hoping to do panel engraving and PCB routing with this. Both will require a tight machine.