Re: [taigtools] making custom cutting tool

  • Jeff Demand
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 6, 2009
      Greg,

      It might not apply but I make silver pen parts for pen turners and had a
      similar sounding problem.

      The internal tapered geometry of the tips is critical. I made a steel
      mandrel of the insides, dip it in machinable wax (like candle dipping),
      machine the outside and investment cast. Press the mandrel into the casting
      (or even a casting from a mold) and touch up the outside. A couple of
      simple jigs but no fancy boring of small difficult to hold parts, dead on
      internal geometry, and quick. Well after the first couple :-)

      jeffD

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6, 2009
        Greg, this sounds like something where a reamer will work well. You can make a reamer in just about any shape where the front of it is the same size or smaller than the rear-most diameter. Think of the shape of a bottle neck rifle cartridge. Some, like Weatherby cartridges have a double radius to form the shoulder and a taper that runs the length of the cartridge case. The chamber for this and any other rifle is cut with a reamer.

        Look up "chamber reamer" on google. There are a number of sites that show pictures that should give you some more ideas. They are made much the same as a standard chucking reamer.

        Dean
        http://tinyurl.com/DeansProjects

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, greg.mcfadden@... wrote:

        > The tube will go from about .220 to .093 over .75 inches in length, I may be
        > able to find a suitable boring bar that small, but I figured I would
        > consider making the tool. (especially since I need another tool to come in
        > from the other side for a different shape)
        >
        > The fiberglass option sounds interesting, I may consider doing that.
        > Although I will probably try making the tool, since I have not done that
        > before.
        >
        > thanks
        > Greg

      • mbonfire2002
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2009
          An example of a company that specializes in the described technique
          I believe nickel is one of the typical plating materials.

          http://www.servometer.com/