Re: [taigtools] Unsatisfactory quality of Taig Mill

  • Michael Fagan
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
      This sounds like an issue with your dealer/importer rather than the
      manufacturer. From whom did you purchase it, and are they an official
      Taig dealer?

      On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:24 PM, pyaude <pyaude@...> wrote:
      > I have now started to assemble my Taig mill in earnest but am very,
      > very disappointed with the product quality. I purchased a vice with
      > the mill and the complete package came with 4 off 1" 10-32 and 4 off
      > ½" 10-32 cap screws.
      >
      > The shorter screws are too short and when in the vice securing holes
      > do not penetrate the `T' slots in the bed. Two of the longer screws
      > are too long and when locating the motor mounting plate cannot
      > tighten down. The two mounting holes in the motor plate have been
      > incorrectly drilled so that the mounting post will not mount on the
      > headstock. (The centre of the T slot is 11.5mm from the edge and the
      > post holes have been drilled 12.5mm from the edge.) The top face of
      > the cross-slide has a succession of heavy scores in it and looks like
      > a blacksmith has fettled it. Finally, the Hammerite effect coating
      > has peeled off the column. The metal underneath is rusty indicating
      > that the column was not prepared or primed.
      >
      > Yes, I can buy the correct length screws (not easy in Europe) and I
      > can re-drill the mounting post and re-paint the column but why should
      > I have to on a product of this price? Even if this was a no-name
      > asian product I would not be happy. I am considering the purchase of
      > a lathe, guess whose name won't be on it! I have put pictures of
      > the problem in the `Photos' section under 'Pyaude' for those
      > interested.
      >
      > Caveat empor!

    • pe3hmp
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
        I can understand when he buys a tool that it should have a good paintjob and
        not how it's inthe pictures.
        If it was in a 'normal' store and the machine would look like that I would
        not buy it or get a big discount.

        Mark

        From: pyaude@...
        Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 02:24:11 +0000

        Nick/Leonard

        The guy that I bought it off has proudly emblazoned on his

        website; "ORDERS AND ENQUIRIES CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED VIA

        EMAIL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" so I phoned him. I got a recorded

        message telling the caller to ring a mobile (cell) number. The

        proprietor did answer but the line was so distorted that it was

        difficult to hear. At first, he denied that the situation could have

        occurred as he assembles and tests all units. After some discussion

        it was admitted that he hadn't as I had supplied my own motor. He

        remarked that if I was to send the unit back to him he would "take a

        look". In all fairness I am sure that he is bona fide but the cost

        of shipping it back to the UK from France would be prohibitive. If

        he decides that it is not his problem....

        With reference to contacting the factory I am on dodgy ground with

        respect to the warranty. I purchased the mill about three years ago

        but had a heart attack just after receiving it. I am only now in a

        position, having taken early retirement, to assemble the unit. I am

        resigned to correcting the faults myself but that notwithstanding,

        Taig should never have sold goods in this condition.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
          Pyaude -

          If you bought it from Peatol (the UK dealer) then he definitely is bona fide - he has been
          the UK/European dealer for Taig for many years. If these are manufacturing problems then
          I'm sure he will sort them out.

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
            I have just got off the phone from speaking to Peter Morrison at Peatol. He says that
            around the time that you bought the mill, the dimensions of the motor mounting bar were
            changed by the Taig factory, and that he may well have inadvertently supplied the older
            style of bar with the newer motor mounting plate, and as you were planning to supply/fit
            your own motor, that he may not have checked that these components all fitted together
            properly (normally, when he supplies with a motor, he will assemble the mill completely
            before shipping it out, then disassemble for shipping); an easy mistake to make - the
            quality of manufacture at Taig is such that it probably didn't cross his mind that there
            would be a problem there. He says that he already asked you to return the motor mounting
            components, along with a drawing of the mounting plate that is needed for the motor that
            you are using, and that he will sort it out. Sounds to me like the high level of service
            that I have come to expect from Peatol over many years, and an offer that you should
            accept.

            I will print off the photos that you posted and send them to Peter, along with copies of
            the relevant emails, so that he can see exactly what the problems are and what you have
            said about them (Peter says that you didn't mention the paint problem or the grooves in
            the cross-slide when you spoke to him yesterday - the grooves, as Nick Carter has already
            said, are oil retention grooves, and are intentional). Peter isn't connected to Email as
            yet, hence the statement on his website, although I understand that that will change in
            the next couple of months, so he may be easier to contact after that.

            You said in your original post that you were considering the purchase of a lathe; if you
            decide not to go for the Taig lathe, it will definitely be your loss - these are excellent
            machines, built to a standard and capable of an accuracy that simply cannot be matched for
            many times the price.

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
              Tony,

              Thank you for your time and assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

              >He says that around the time that you bought the mill, the
              >dimensions of the motor mounting bar were changed by the Taig
              >factory, and that he may well have inadvertently supplied the older
              >style of bar with the newer motor mounting plate, and as you were
              >planning to supply/fit your own motor.

              The motor and motor mounting plate is irrelevant to the problem. As
              you can see from the picture, the problem is that the post (200-51)
              will not mount onto the headstock as the holes in the post do not
              line up with the T slot running vertically in said headstock. Unless
              the design of the headstock changed, which I doubt, the holes in the
              post have been incorrectly drilled.

              >that he may not have checked that these components all fitted
              >together properly (normally, when he supplies with a motor, he will
              >assemble the mill completely before shipping it out, then
              >disassemble for shipping); an easy mistake to make

              Fair enough...

              > the quality of manufacture at Taig is such that it probably didn't
              >cross his mind that there would be a problem there.

              It wouldn't have crossed mine either, which is why I originally chose
              the product. But we all live and learn...

              > He says that he already asked you to return the motor mounting
              >components

              As mentioned in my original post.

              >along with a drawing of the mounting plate that is needed for the
              >motor that you are using

              Yes, I asked him for an estimate of cost. My choice of motor so the
              cost is down to me.

              >Peter says that you didn't mention the paint problem or the grooves
              >in the cross-slide when you spoke to him yesterday

              There seemed little point in discussing the paint problem as there is
              little that Peter can do about it being so far away. The quality of
              the mobile phone link was so bad that it was an effort to discuss
              what we did.

              >the grooves, as Nick Carter has already said, are oil retention
              >grooves, and are intentional

              Perfectly accepted.

              >Peter isn't connected to Email as yet, hence the statement on his
              >website, although I understand that that will change in the next
              >couple of months.

              Ok, but that statement has been on his website for a number of
              years. If he had had email I would have sent him the pictures
              myself. When you are the sole representative for a manufacturer in
              an area as large and diverse as Europe, is email too much to ask for
              in 2009? If I had been French or German that phone conversation
              would have been a non-starter.

              >You said in your original post that you were considering the
              >purchase of a lathe; if you decide not to go for the Taig lathe, it
              >will definitely be your loss - these are excellent machines, built
              >to a standard and capable of an accuracy that simply cannot be
              >matched for many times the price.

              With current discounts the Sherline is now available at a fairly
              close price and the Dealer has an email address.

              In case this conversation starts to meander I would like to point out
              that I took great care not to criticise Peter per se in my original
              post. (Apart from the tongue in cheek but nevertheless serious
              reference to the statement on his website.) The delay in assembly is
              mine and my fault alone. My `beef' is with Taig. Peter's method of
              doing business and the failure to check the goods before despatch
              just hasn't helped. (Mark, this product was ordered by phone so I
              didn't get to see the goods first. Another object lesson!!)
            • leon Heller
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                > The guy that I bought it off has proudly emblazoned on his
                > website; "ORDERS AND ENQUIRIES CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED VIA
                > EMAIL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" so I phoned him. I got a recorded
                > message telling the caller to ring a mobile (cell) number. The
                > proprietor did answer but the line was so distorted that it was
                > difficult to hear. At first, he denied that the situation could have
                > occurred as he assembles and tests all units. After some discussion
                > it was admitted that he hadn't as I had supplied my own motor. He
                > remarked that if I was to send the unit back to him he would "take a
                > look". In all fairness I am sure that he is bona fide but the cost
                > of shipping it back to the UK from France would be prohibitive. If
                > he decides that it is not his problem....
                >
                > With reference to contacting the factory I am on dodgy ground with
                > respect to the warranty. I purchased the mill about three years ago
                > but had a heart attack just after receiving it. I am only now in a
                > position, having taken early retirement, to assemble the unit. I am
                > resigned to correcting the faults myself but that notwithstanding,
                > Taig should never have sold goods in this condition.

                That sounds like Peatol. He can be a bit careless - I ordered my lathe from
                him (assembled) and it came in kit form.

                Leon
              • Forrest A
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                  The problem is the time that has passed. It could be argued that the damage to the paint was done by time alone. What he is trying to do is get the dealer to warranty something that is out of warranty... Quoted (cut and pasted with no changes to content) from Taig's own website:

                  "Our top quality machines come with a 14 day refund period. In addition
                  we have a full 2 year factory warranty on all components and accessories."

                  As for the big nose? I use my tools regardless of how they look, I didn't buy them for cosmetic reasons. I don't know how that is looking down on something, it's just practical...

                  FBA

                  To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com

                  To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                    I would suggest that you call Peter again on his land line (or you are welcome to email me
                    your phone number off-list and I will pass it on to him so he can call you), rather than
                    continuing the debate on here, which at the end of the day won't fix your problem.

                    From my conversation with him today, it is very clear to me that Peter wants to do the
                    right thing here (and that is no surprise to me at all); the two of you talking to each
                    other on a decent phone line is the best way to allow him to do that.

> [...]

                    >purchase of a lathe; if you decide not to go for the Taig lathe, it
                    >will definitely be your loss - these are excellent machines, built
                    >to a standard and capable of an accuracy that simply cannot be
                    >matched for many times the price.

                    With current discounts the Sherline is now available at a fairly
                    close price and the Dealer has an email address.

                    In case this conversation starts to meander I would like to point out
                    that I took great care not to criticise Peter per se in my original
                    post. (Apart from the tongue in cheek but nevertheless serious
                    reference to the statement on his website.) The delay in assembly is
                    mine and my fault alone. My `beef' is with Taig. Peter's method of
                    doing business and the failure to check the goods before despatch
                    just hasn't helped. (Mark, this product was ordered by phone so I
                    didn't get to see the goods first. Another object lesson!!)

                  • Bill Marvel
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                      Absolutely true, Forrest!  I bought a Taig lathe many years ago.  Due to my own ignorance and a learning curve that started at zero, I discovered the reason for my drilling inaccuracy and many broken bits was a tailstock that was off vertically by more than 1/8 inch.  Even though more than five years had passed, I returned the tailstock to Taig for evaluation.  I received a new, properly bored tailstock by return mail.  No questions were asked.

                      Just my experience.

                      regards
                      bill marvel
                      -

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                        The problem is he has had it for 3 years, I know if i had my mill
                        sitting in a box for 3 years in my garage, I would be Lucky to have a
                        machine with just the paint missing. I would place my money on the
                        fact the mill had a good paint job when he received it, let it sit 3
                        years. opened it and was disapointed at the fact it got rusty while
                        sitting. Thats just my guess but if thats the case, cant get upset
                        with taig with the fact that steel oxidizes when left alone in the
                        right conditions....

                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pe3hmp" <pe3hmp@...> wrote:

                        > I can understand when he buys a tool that it should have a good
                        paintjob and
                        > not how it's inthe pictures.
                        > If it was in a 'normal' store and the machine would look like that I
                        would
                        > not buy it or get a big discount.
                        >
                        > Mark

                      • David Robertson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                          I may be misunderstanding you.. but the holes in the column are not
                          supposed to line up with the T-slots in the headstock. There is a
                          mounting plate that bolts on to the column and the headstock clamps on
                          the mounting plate...

                          David

                          pyaude wrote:

                          > The motor and motor mounting plate is irrelevant to the problem. As
                          > you can see from the picture, the problem is that the post (200-51)
                          > will not mount onto the headstock as the holes in the post do not
                          > line up with the T slot running vertically in said headstock. Unless
                          > the design of the headstock changed, which I doubt, the holes in the
                          > post have been incorrectly drilled.

                        • kenneth lambert
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                            I was talking about the smily face.

[...]