Re: [taigtools] Re: Unsatisfactory quality of Taig Mill

  • Leonard Davis
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
      Brian, This is mucky! I would aquas to Nick who is eminently qualified in this area being he is a Tang dealer in the USA. I am sorry for your health problems and hope you are getting along much better. You are right it is a bit doggie and you will probably have to drill it out and acquire the proper hardware. Now that we have heard "The rest of the story" I don't know  but you may be able to work something off line.
      Regards,
                  Leonard

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
        This sounds like an issue with your dealer/importer rather than the
        manufacturer. From whom did you purchase it, and are they an official
        Taig dealer?

        On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:24 PM, pyaude <pyaude@...> wrote:
        > I have now started to assemble my Taig mill in earnest but am very,
        > very disappointed with the product quality. I purchased a vice with
        > the mill and the complete package came with 4 off 1" 10-32 and 4 off
        > ½" 10-32 cap screws.
        >
        > The shorter screws are too short and when in the vice securing holes
        > do not penetrate the `T' slots in the bed. Two of the longer screws
        > are too long and when locating the motor mounting plate cannot
        > tighten down. The two mounting holes in the motor plate have been
        > incorrectly drilled so that the mounting post will not mount on the
        > headstock. (The centre of the T slot is 11.5mm from the edge and the
        > post holes have been drilled 12.5mm from the edge.) The top face of
        > the cross-slide has a succession of heavy scores in it and looks like
        > a blacksmith has fettled it. Finally, the Hammerite effect coating
        > has peeled off the column. The metal underneath is rusty indicating
        > that the column was not prepared or primed.
        >
        > Yes, I can buy the correct length screws (not easy in Europe) and I
        > can re-drill the mounting post and re-paint the column but why should
        > I have to on a product of this price? Even if this was a no-name
        > asian product I would not be happy. I am considering the purchase of
        > a lathe, guess whose name won't be on it! I have put pictures of
        > the problem in the `Photos' section under 'Pyaude' for those
        > interested.
        >
        > Caveat empor!

      • pe3hmp
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
          I can understand when he buys a tool that it should have a good paintjob and
          not how it's inthe pictures.
          If it was in a 'normal' store and the machine would look like that I would
          not buy it or get a big discount.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
            Pyaude -

            If you bought it from Peatol (the UK dealer) then he definitely is bona fide - he has been
            the UK/European dealer for Taig for many years. If these are manufacturing problems then
            I'm sure he will sort them out.

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
              I have just got off the phone from speaking to Peter Morrison at Peatol. He says that
              around the time that you bought the mill, the dimensions of the motor mounting bar were
              changed by the Taig factory, and that he may well have inadvertently supplied the older
              style of bar with the newer motor mounting plate, and as you were planning to supply/fit
              your own motor, that he may not have checked that these components all fitted together
              properly (normally, when he supplies with a motor, he will assemble the mill completely
              before shipping it out, then disassemble for shipping); an easy mistake to make - the
              quality of manufacture at Taig is such that it probably didn't cross his mind that there
              would be a problem there. He says that he already asked you to return the motor mounting
              components, along with a drawing of the mounting plate that is needed for the motor that
              you are using, and that he will sort it out. Sounds to me like the high level of service
              that I have come to expect from Peatol over many years, and an offer that you should
              accept.

              I will print off the photos that you posted and send them to Peter, along with copies of
              the relevant emails, so that he can see exactly what the problems are and what you have
              said about them (Peter says that you didn't mention the paint problem or the grooves in
              the cross-slide when you spoke to him yesterday - the grooves, as Nick Carter has already
              said, are oil retention grooves, and are intentional). Peter isn't connected to Email as
              yet, hence the statement on his website, although I understand that that will change in
              the next couple of months, so he may be easier to contact after that.

              You said in your original post that you were considering the purchase of a lathe; if you
              decide not to go for the Taig lathe, it will definitely be your loss - these are excellent
              machines, built to a standard and capable of an accuracy that simply cannot be matched for
              many times the price.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                Tony,

                Thank you for your time and assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

                >He says that around the time that you bought the mill, the
                >dimensions of the motor mounting bar were changed by the Taig
                >factory, and that he may well have inadvertently supplied the older
                >style of bar with the newer motor mounting plate, and as you were
                >planning to supply/fit your own motor.

                The motor and motor mounting plate is irrelevant to the problem. As
                you can see from the picture, the problem is that the post (200-51)
                will not mount onto the headstock as the holes in the post do not
                line up with the T slot running vertically in said headstock. Unless
                the design of the headstock changed, which I doubt, the holes in the
                post have been incorrectly drilled.

                >that he may not have checked that these components all fitted
                >together properly (normally, when he supplies with a motor, he will
                >assemble the mill completely before shipping it out, then
                >disassemble for shipping); an easy mistake to make

                Fair enough...

                > the quality of manufacture at Taig is such that it probably didn't
                >cross his mind that there would be a problem there.

                It wouldn't have crossed mine either, which is why I originally chose
                the product. But we all live and learn...

                > He says that he already asked you to return the motor mounting
                >components

                As mentioned in my original post.

                >along with a drawing of the mounting plate that is needed for the
                >motor that you are using

                Yes, I asked him for an estimate of cost. My choice of motor so the
                cost is down to me.

                >Peter says that you didn't mention the paint problem or the grooves
                >in the cross-slide when you spoke to him yesterday

                There seemed little point in discussing the paint problem as there is
                little that Peter can do about it being so far away. The quality of
                the mobile phone link was so bad that it was an effort to discuss
                what we did.

                >the grooves, as Nick Carter has already said, are oil retention
                >grooves, and are intentional

                Perfectly accepted.

                >Peter isn't connected to Email as yet, hence the statement on his
                >website, although I understand that that will change in the next
                >couple of months.

                Ok, but that statement has been on his website for a number of
                years. If he had had email I would have sent him the pictures
                myself. When you are the sole representative for a manufacturer in
                an area as large and diverse as Europe, is email too much to ask for
                in 2009? If I had been French or German that phone conversation
                would have been a non-starter.

                >You said in your original post that you were considering the
                >purchase of a lathe; if you decide not to go for the Taig lathe, it
                >will definitely be your loss - these are excellent machines, built
                >to a standard and capable of an accuracy that simply cannot be
                >matched for many times the price.

                With current discounts the Sherline is now available at a fairly
                close price and the Dealer has an email address.

                In case this conversation starts to meander I would like to point out
                that I took great care not to criticise Peter per se in my original
                post. (Apart from the tongue in cheek but nevertheless serious
                reference to the statement on his website.) The delay in assembly is
                mine and my fault alone. My `beef' is with Taig. Peter's method of
                doing business and the failure to check the goods before despatch
                just hasn't helped. (Mark, this product was ordered by phone so I
                didn't get to see the goods first. Another object lesson!!)
              • leon Heller
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                  > The guy that I bought it off has proudly emblazoned on his
                  > website; "ORDERS AND ENQUIRIES CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED VIA
                  > EMAIL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" so I phoned him. I got a recorded
                  > message telling the caller to ring a mobile (cell) number. The
                  > proprietor did answer but the line was so distorted that it was
                  > difficult to hear. At first, he denied that the situation could have
                  > occurred as he assembles and tests all units. After some discussion
                  > it was admitted that he hadn't as I had supplied my own motor. He
                  > remarked that if I was to send the unit back to him he would "take a
                  > look". In all fairness I am sure that he is bona fide but the cost
                  > of shipping it back to the UK from France would be prohibitive. If
                  > he decides that it is not his problem....
                  >
                  > With reference to contacting the factory I am on dodgy ground with
                  > respect to the warranty. I purchased the mill about three years ago
                  > but had a heart attack just after receiving it. I am only now in a
                  > position, having taken early retirement, to assemble the unit. I am
                  > resigned to correcting the faults myself but that notwithstanding,
                  > Taig should never have sold goods in this condition.

                  That sounds like Peatol. He can be a bit careless - I ordered my lathe from
                  him (assembled) and it came in kit form.

                  Leon
                • Forrest A
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                    The problem is the time that has passed. It could be argued that the damage to the paint was done by time alone. What he is trying to do is get the dealer to warranty something that is out of warranty... Quoted (cut and pasted with no changes to content) from Taig's own website:

                    "Our top quality machines come with a 14 day refund period. In addition
                    we have a full 2 year factory warranty on all components and accessories."

                    As for the big nose? I use my tools regardless of how they look, I didn't buy them for cosmetic reasons. I don't know how that is looking down on something, it's just practical...

                    FBA

                    To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com

                    To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                      I would suggest that you call Peter again on his land line (or you are welcome to email me
                      your phone number off-list and I will pass it on to him so he can call you), rather than
                      continuing the debate on here, which at the end of the day won't fix your problem.

                      From my conversation with him today, it is very clear to me that Peter wants to do the
                      right thing here (and that is no surprise to me at all); the two of you talking to each
                      other on a decent phone line is the best way to allow him to do that.

> [...]

                      >purchase of a lathe; if you decide not to go for the Taig lathe, it
                      >will definitely be your loss - these are excellent machines, built
                      >to a standard and capable of an accuracy that simply cannot be
                      >matched for many times the price.

                      With current discounts the Sherline is now available at a fairly
                      close price and the Dealer has an email address.

                      In case this conversation starts to meander I would like to point out
                      that I took great care not to criticise Peter per se in my original
                      post. (Apart from the tongue in cheek but nevertheless serious
                      reference to the statement on his website.) The delay in assembly is
                      mine and my fault alone. My `beef' is with Taig. Peter's method of
                      doing business and the failure to check the goods before despatch
                      just hasn't helped. (Mark, this product was ordered by phone so I
                      didn't get to see the goods first. Another object lesson!!)

                    • Bill Marvel
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                        Absolutely true, Forrest!  I bought a Taig lathe many years ago.  Due to my own ignorance and a learning curve that started at zero, I discovered the reason for my drilling inaccuracy and many broken bits was a tailstock that was off vertically by more than 1/8 inch.  Even though more than five years had passed, I returned the tailstock to Taig for evaluation.  I received a new, properly bored tailstock by return mail.  No questions were asked.

                        Just my experience.

                        regards
                        bill marvel
                        -

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                          The problem is he has had it for 3 years, I know if i had my mill
                          sitting in a box for 3 years in my garage, I would be Lucky to have a
                          machine with just the paint missing. I would place my money on the
                          fact the mill had a good paint job when he received it, let it sit 3
                          years. opened it and was disapointed at the fact it got rusty while
                          sitting. Thats just my guess but if thats the case, cant get upset
                          with taig with the fact that steel oxidizes when left alone in the
                          right conditions....

                          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pe3hmp" <pe3hmp@...> wrote:

                          > I can understand when he buys a tool that it should have a good
                          paintjob and
                          > not how it's inthe pictures.
                          > If it was in a 'normal' store and the machine would look like that I
                          would
                          > not buy it or get a big discount.
                          >
                          > Mark

                        • David Robertson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                            I may be misunderstanding you.. but the holes in the column are not
                            supposed to line up with the T-slots in the headstock. There is a
                            mounting plate that bolts on to the column and the headstock clamps on
                            the mounting plate...

                            David

                            pyaude wrote:

                            > The motor and motor mounting plate is irrelevant to the problem. As
                            > you can see from the picture, the problem is that the post (200-51)
                            > will not mount onto the headstock as the holes in the post do not
                            > line up with the T slot running vertically in said headstock. Unless
                            > the design of the headstock changed, which I doubt, the holes in the
                            > post have been incorrectly drilled.

                          • kenneth lambert
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                              I was talking about the smily face.

[...]