10-32 nuts

  • Bill Crews
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
      I just bought some today. They are shiny, (most are black) They are in
      my shop right now and I am in the computer room. If you want to know
      size, write and I will measure them and let you know. I live near
      Toledo, Ohio and got these in a store called The Andersons. They
      are .15 each. If you would pay postage, write and I will be glad to
      send you as many as you like, I am in the store several times per week.
      This may be expensive, I don't know, but they do have them....for now.
      Happy chips and curls,
      Bill
    • Ken Cline
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
        On 1 Sep 2008, at 7:35 PM, Bill Crews wrote:

        > If you want to know
        > size, write and I will measure them and let you know.

        No need to measure - you can find a table of standard nut dimensions
        online [e.g. at http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/nuts.htm%5d.
        That table is for hex nuts, so your square nuts will have a different
        width across corners. Other dimensions are identical according to the
        ANSI standard.

        By the way, according to the ANSI standard, the T-slots on Taig mill
        table are basically 1/4" T-slots, though the throat width is ~.02"
        undersized. The standard doesn't seem to say anything about 1/4" t-
        slot nuts or bolts, and I don't see any for sale (from online
        suppliers) that would fit. Does anyone know what other applications
        use this slot size, and what sort of hardware is compatible with it?

      • kd006
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
          For what it's worth, I milled a couple of tee nuts, tried to tap them
          1/4-20 and the tap broke through both sides so I made some 10-32
          ones, the commercial ones for the taig are either 5mm or 6mm threads
          but a 1/4-20 square nut works well also and they are under $8 per 100
          from McMaster-Carr in black oxide.

          Kristin